Shadow of a Doubt
13.64%
3 votes
Stray Dog
13.64%
3 votes
The Lady From Shanghai
22 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Well since Godoggo was the only one who answered the request, she is being catered to with a focus on noir. I'm not really including plot since they're all some form of "a man, a woman, bad things, shadows, etc." and plus they're better films to watch without prior knowledge I think. Here we go again. PS: These are all "classic" noirs, by request, and I managed to stay within the 40s on accident, so huzzah.

Out of the Past (1947)

Directed by Jacques Tourneur, famous for his 40s horror film series, also entered noir territory with this one, said to be one of the greatest film noirs by several critics and fans but unspoken of on this website curiously enough. As one who's seen his films might expect, he brings a sort of tragic lyricism to the genre, not in a frenchy way but rather in the dream-like aspects of the movements of both the camera and character, at least for its time.

The Killers (1946)

The lesser known brother of Double Indemnity, without the genre cliches. I sometimes forget the storyline as there are many brilliant scenes to get lost in. I suppose it's based on the Ernest Hemingway short story, but it takes some liberties, though the ferocity of the story remains.

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Hitchcock. I guess I could say more. Somewhat of a film about people who like murder and discussing murder, but a perfect example of a film to go in fresh. It's one of the few films I know that can manage a comedic thread amongst the intensity that is Hitchcock's thicker era of suspense.

Stray Dog (1949)

Kurosawa. A foreign film snuck in here indeed, and not a single samurai! Retiring cop investigates crime committed with his weapon. One of the director's only dabblings with the genre but explores a lot of social conditions of the time period, as you might expect, rather than sticking to strict protagonists/antagonists, which makes the film stand out. Overlooked needless to say.

The Lady From Shanghai (1947)

Orson Welles. Gotta stop doing that. Not as surreal as Touch of Evil but much more sensual. And fun, whatever that means in this genre. Also notorious as a film that was butchered in the editing room by a studio that ignored Welle's notes (this tends to happen to him). Nonetheless, a sort of whodunit with lots of twists and turns that make for a very fulfilling viewing.

The only one from thi I've seen is The Lady from shanghai which I really didn't like, even if I did I always vote for a new movie.

I went with Out of the Past

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm going with The Killers and my second choice is Out of the Past. I really feel like I should see a lot more noir. When I watch it, I generally like it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Ooh tough choice. I've wanted to revisit Shadow of a Doubt for a while so that's a possibility. But I've also wanted to dip into my Kurosawa boxsets a bit more. Gone for Stray Dog.

Shadow of a Doubt is top-tier Hitch and the director's own favorite of his films. Joseph Cotton is one of the Master's greatest villains and the movie seems to have a huge influence on David Lynch, especially Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks. It's the only one of these I've seen, but I voted for Out of the Past.

Wow, tough choice, and the results so far suggest everyone else feels the same way.

I've seen two of these already, so I picked The Lady from Shanghai. But I'd be cool with The Killers, too.

Voted for Out of the Past, sounds interesting and I want to see more Robert Mitchum.

Only one I've seen is Shadow of a Doubt which I really want to re watch and do a full review of it because I think it's a great film with potentially a lot to write about, but I think I'll do that some time anyway

The only one I haven't seen is The Killers, so I voted for that. But I'd be happy with Out of the Past as it's been years since I watched it.

Semper Fooey
I've seen them all except for Stray Dog. I am not a big fan of Lady from Shanghai either. I would say it is much more surreal than Touch of Evil because the story, unlike Evil, is incoherent. The Killers was a big movie in its day as it made stars out of Gardner and Lancaster and established O'Brien in noir. Out of the Past is equally good, but doesn't have a writer like Hemingway attached to it so didn't get the same attention when released. I am not a huge fan of Shadow of a Doubt, which is better than average, but still considerably less than Hitchcock's best. I think its reputation is mostly because Thorton Wilder wrote it.

Semper Fooey
Ahhh, crazy close! Someone else please vote for The Killers.
Just to make you happy.

I've already seen Out of the Past and Shadow of a Doubt and they were both very good, but I'll vote for a new one so:

The Lady From Shanghai (1947)

You can't go wrong with Welles and Hayworth!