23.08%
3 votes
If...
13 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Remember, remember the 5th of September
character studies and plot
I can think of no reason why the mofos of season
should not vote on this poll

Films about revolt is the theme. Twas Sedai's idea and he's a lovely man so I'm running with it, plus I find these choices exciting even though the pretty rare Iranian short film Mossadegh won't be here...but if you ever find it check it out.

The Battle of Algiers (1966)

Typical choice here, a film about a revolt against the French government made right after the war "ended." The film is prominent for its realistic depiction of guerrilla warfare via documentary-style, plus it is allegedly unbiased by showing atrocities of both sides. Naturally, it was banned in France, which means it had some truth to it.

Danton (1983)

Sticking with the French, this film is about a prominent leader of the French revolution, Georges Danton, who returns to his homeland to find executions and searches taking place. Things like the government destroying truth-telling newspapers and their writers make this feel rather relevant, but it's also said to be a historically accurate portrayal of the Reign of Terror, and thus said to be one of the best films on the topic. Gerard Depardieu also performs wonderfully.

Duck, You Sucker (1971)

One of Sergio Leone's other wonderful films outside the Dollars trilogy, also known as "Fistful of Dynamite," that deals with the Mexican revolution in a very funny, yet poetically violent way. It certainly has entertainment value and less of a message, but isn't a party film either. It's just as mature as Once Upon A Time In The West, but far less known.

Ran (1985)

Akira Kurosawa's 80s masterpiece whose Japanese title actually means "Revolt." Ran is about betrayal and lust for power between royal family members and is considered, being an adaptation of King Lear, one of the greatest, if not the greatest, Shakespeare adaptation ever. The imagery and dialogue is so un-Japanese, and thus redefines Japanese epics. Kurosawa made one of his best films at 75, but it needs more exposure. This is certainly a discussion-starter as well.

If... (1968)

Anyone looking for a good film featuring Malcolm McDowell outside A Clockwork Orange needs to see this. A revolution within a public school sizes down the scope but allows the film to be much more applicable to larger circumstances. Essentially a break-away-from-establishment film, but imprinted a very strong impression on many people when it was released in Britain.

A system of cells interlinked
I voted for Ran, simply because it is a magnificent piece of work, and extremely bleak.

Ive also added If... to my queue on netflix.

I voted for Duck, You Sucker, because I've only seen it once and wanted to revisit it, and I've been watching a little Leone again recently, anyway.

Great options, I went with Ran. It's been in my Instant Queue for a while so this will give me the motivation to watch it.

I voted for Ran, really an astonishing film. Vastly superior to Seven Samurai, IMO.

Must be doin sumthin right

Anyone looking for a good film featuring Malcolm McDowell outside A Clockwork Orange needs to see this
Anyone looking for a good film featuring Malcolm McDowell outside A Clockwork Orange should definitely see If... because it's great, but what they should really see first is O Lucky Man. It's a later McDowell/Anderson effort and it's one of the loopiest and most singular movies I've ever seen

I better start finding time to watch Ran again. FYI, I understand a bit of the Chinese language and I realised that the word 乱 means "mess" in Chinese. I'm not sure what it means in Japanese. Although I do know that similarly written words take on different meanings in Chinese and Japanese. Anybody has a clue?

I better start finding time to watch Ran again. FYI, I understand a bit of the Chinese language and I realised that the word 乱 means "mess" in Chinese. I'm not sure what it means in Japanese. Although I do know that similarly written words take on different meanings in Chinese and Japanese. Anybody has a clue?
In Japanese it has a few meanings but the one implied is "Revolt" or "Upheaval." Revolt sounds cooler though.