James Cameron done with features

Tools    

....Except Avatar sequels

http://movies.ign.com/articles/122/1224410p1.html

(I searched for a James Cameron thread, no dice)

Am I alone in thinking that this is kinda silly? Avatar isn't nearly as original/groundbreaking or interesting as he wants to think it is; what is a sequel going to change about that?

Yes, but the man is deluded. He was bad before, but Titanic broke his mind. Good news for me, though, as a world with no more James Cameron feature films is a slightly better one. I wonder if Michael Bay would do the same if he directed the most biggest grossing film of all time?

Avatar 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and many other smaller projects and branch-offs based on Avatar etc... were pretty much expected as soon as the opening weekend profits hit the record books, but...

... to be brutally honest, I think the same as Wintertriangles.

Avatar may be a decent film, but it's not the mahoosive thigh slapper he reckons it is.

Cutting the production arm of his company too? Big mistake.

In doing so ie; Making his entire business the 'Avatar Business' he mentions; Will just end up like A Nightmare On Elm Street or the Jason movies.

People will get fed up with the concept... they've seen it all before... the ideas are running thin... the novelty of 3D will die off anyway long before the year 2020 (as I have said about the scam that is 3D many a time before on this forum).

Jimbo seems to have disappeared up his own backside in a similar vein to George Lucas.
It's a shame he's turned to the Lucas Side really, I thought the Force was strong with him.
It appears Cameron's prophecy, misread, I have.

Yes, but the man is deluded. He was bad before, but Titanic broke his mind. Good news for me, though, as a world with no more James Cameron feature films is a slightly better one. I wonder if Michael Bay would do the same if he directed the most biggest grossing film of all time?

Transforming Alien Judo Porpoises... anyone?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It didn't break many records opening weekend.

Anyway, it stinks that he is going to limit himself like this. I'm more interested in his upcoming projects (Battle Angel) that are now discarded than an Avatar 2.

Suspect's Reviews

Semper Fooey
He's become George Lucas.

There are those who call me...Tim.
If he can keep the stories coming then I guess I'm happy to keep watching them. Avatar wasn't great but it was still pretty good.

I gave up on James Cameron's features in 1997.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

James Cameron has other things he wants to do besides film. He secretly aspires to be an engineer. He has the bucks to hire really good engineers. I expect many interesting things coming from the Cameron Corporation, aside from movies, in days to come.

I would say that Titanic was his only really "bad" film. Avatar was terrible in the story aspect, but visual effects, action, and sheer spectacle made up for it.

Are you really going to say that you don't like The Terminator, Teminator 2, Aliens, True Lies, and The Abyss? I find that hard to believe. And, if it is true, it's time to find a hobby that doesn't include watching films and posting on a film oriented forum. Say what you want about his writing "skills", but the man has done more to advance film with half a dozen films than most people do over an entire career.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I would say that Titanic was his only really "bad" film. Avatar was terrible in the story aspect, but visual effects, action, and sheer spectacle made up for it. Are you really going to say that you don't like The Terminator, Teminator 2, Aliens, True Lies, and The Abyss? I find that hard to believe. And, if it is true, it's time to find a hobby that doesn't include watching films and posting on a film oriented forum.
Titanic was carried a long way by spectacle, too.

And it's better than True Lies.

Titanic was carried a long way by spectacle, too.

And it's better than True Lies.
No, Titanic is not better than any of his other films. It is sappy, unbelievable fluff posing as a work of art. At least True Lies knows it's a silly film.

This guy has seriously bought into his own hype. That much investment into Avatar is retarded; it wasn't that good.

Like Rode said above, the novelty will wear off for all but the few most diehard fans (you know the sad souls I'm referring to) and then what? Cameron may be right, though: Maybe he doesn't have anything meaningful left to say that can't be said within the simple confines of Dances With Ferngully.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This guy has seriously bought into his own hype. That much investment into Avatar is retarded; it wasn't that good.
how is it "retarded", the film is the biggest film of all time. There is obviously room for more stories to be told and with how lucrative it is, it would be stupid NOT to continue with those films.

My complaint is that he is ONLY pursuing those films. Come on Cameron.

Are you really going to say that you don't like The Terminator, Teminator 2, Aliens, True Lies, and The Abyss?
Just to answer. The Terminator is great. T2 is really good, but I'm bored before it finishes. Aliens is terrible. True Lies is meh/poor and I've not seen The Abyss.

An Auto-Bot that reviews movies....
Way to put yourself in a limiting box, James Cameron. But hey, when the guys laughing his way to the bank - he doesn't really need to rationalize his ridiculous decisions now does he?