Custom Lists: Beta Testing

Tools    

Personally I generally try their titles in other languages (from the Also Known As tag on their IMDb page). Others might have better tricks but that's been the one that's helped me out a few times.
This is indeed also a good alternative, though hopefully the new tool thingy should solve everything.

On the actual TMDb site it lets you add a filter for year, but their autocomplete doesn't seem to do that, sadly.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Personally I generally try their titles in other languages (from the Also Known As tag on their IMDb page). Others might have better tricks but that's been the one that's helped me out a few times.
Yes, this worked for me with a few films, but not for ones where the original title was in a different alphabet.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Nah, it's not you, the autocomplete can be a little funky (it's from an external source, so there's only so much I can do).

From similar previous reports, though, I built a tool that allows you to post a TMDb or IMDb URL and have it look up the film from that. It's not quite ready for public consumption (I need to make sure adding films that way checks for duplicates and list size limits), but I've just added it for you, specifically, so you can give it a quick test. Have another go, if you would, and let me know if that works (and if it's intuitive and all that).
That did work, straight away! Thanks

It's impossible to add M (1931). It doesn't show up in the search bar if I type "m" and then the spacebar twice. I'm in the process of making a prototype list of my top 100 (transferred from RYM) but M's not showing up.

It's impossible to add M (1931). It doesn't show up in the search bar if I type "m" and then the spacebar twice. I'm in the process of making a prototype list of my top 100 (transferred from RYM) but M's not showing up.
Type "M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder" in the box and "M (1931)" comes up as the first option to add.

Type "M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder" in the box and "M (1931)" comes up as the first option to add.

Thanks. What about Ran (1985), though?

Thanks. What about Ran (1985), though?
Use "Ran - Os Senhores da Guerra".

As noted above, I have an alternative tool for this, it's just not quite ready yet. It's very much in Beta, as the title suggests. Stay tuned, won't be too long.

Okay, I've thrown together some data integrity checks (for duplicates and adding films while already capped at 100), so the feature in question should now be available for everyone. You'll find it here:

From there you'll be shown an overlay where you can paste an IMDb or TMDb link and it should be able to find the movie that way.

Let me know if that works for everyone/makes sense. Need to make sure this works well soon since we'll need it for the countdown ballots and stuff, too.

Okay, I've thrown together some data integrity checks (for duplicates and adding films while already capped at 100), so the feature in question should now be available for everyone. You'll find it here:

From there you'll be shown an overlay where you can paste an IMDb or TMDb link and it should be able to find the movie that way.

Let me know if that works for everyone/makes sense. Need to make sure this works well soon since we'll need it for the countdown ballots and stuff, too.

This is pretty cool. Thanks!

Use "Ran - Os Senhores da Guerra".

Thanks for helping out. I was a little confused since your first reply was so quick so I didn't think you saw the next one. How'd you know to use the Spanish title?

Thanks for helping out. I was a little confused since your first reply was so quick so I didn't think you saw the next one. How'd you know to use the Spanish title?
I didn't know but longer titles are possibly more likely to be uniquer
And I only flit on and off Mofo at times so don't necessarily see things for a while sometimes.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
This Custom Lists feature is spectacularly awesome.

Two things. Would it be thinkable to eventually add to them :

- A "sort" function (by year, older/newer, by alphabetical order, A-Z, Z-A) ?
- An "export" function ?

This Custom Lists feature is spectacularly awesome.

Two things. Would it be thinkable to eventually add to them :

- A "sort" function (by year, older/newer, by alphabetical order, A-Z, Z-A) ?
- An "export" function ?
Right now there is a sort option in the Options overlay on the top right, but it sorts on the display side, rather than the "editing" side that the list creator sees (this will either be changed or made clearer at some point).

Export is a good idea, that will definitely happen at some point.

Glad you like it so far. Still very much a work in progress.

Still enthusiastically exploring the custom list feature. I can really see it become useful beyond mere forum usage.

Two things confuse me a bit, but it may be just me :

- I haven't found direct access to custom list management. I use the "new custom list" button, and then click a "back (?) to custom lists" arrow. Is there a shorter path I've missed ? "View/manage your lists" seems to only show access to the site's official ones.

- Checking other users' "lists" on their own profiles seems to randomly send me to "forum lists" (with their ticked films), or "custom lists" (with my ticked films). Does one conceal the other (like "forum lists" being displayed in absence of "custom lists" and inaccessible in their presence) ? Is there a switch present or planned to see our own/their ticks ?

Also, not sure if possible, but it would be ideal if original titles were displayed in bracket after the english ones (if they're not the same). For instance : for obvious reasons a lot of the films that I watch and mention are french, and it's real tricky to recognize them in lists, given the obscure randomness of foreign title ("Comme une image" = "Look at me", etc). It's great to see under which title they are known internationally, but still, it would be easier to identify them with that addition. This may be useful for more people : Even in my french-speaking country, I sometimes have to ask for the original title of some foreign movies, given the randomness of their french translations.

More anecdotally, two little bugs, on admittedly overly obscure entries :
- Jacqueline Veuve's "l'homme des casernes" (actually 1994) is being dated from 0 BC.
- Luc de Heusch's "une république devenue folle" isn't recognised through https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0270010/ (too little data on imdb?)

Still enthusiastically exploring the custom list feature. I can really see it become useful beyond mere forum usage.
Very cool, glad you like it.

- I haven't found direct access to custom list management. I use the "new custom list" button, and then click a "back (?) to custom lists" arrow. Is there a shorter path I've missed ? "View/manage your lists" seems to only show access to the site's official ones.
Yeah, not super direct. Still in beta. I want people who really want it to be able to find and use it but that's it for now. But it's coming along and I expect it to be released "fully" once I can knock off a couple more big items/designs.

- Checking other users' "lists" on their own profiles seems to randomly send me to "forum lists" (with their ticked films), or "custom lists" (with my ticked films). Does one conceal the other (like "forum lists" being displayed in absence of "custom lists" and inaccessible in their presence) ? Is there a switch present or planned to see our own/their ticks ?
This is mid-transition. For a long time the lists were just "here's what this person has seen." People creating their own lists isn't just a new feature, but kind of a new way of looking at the lists entirely. So for now, anyone who's made Custom Lists (and made any of them public) has those Custom Lists show up on their profile, but everyone else just "keeps" the old "here's what I've seen" style of list in there.

I'm still deciding how I want to square this circle, but generally I'm thinking the Custom Lists thing is going to mostly supplant the old way. People will still be able to catalogue everything and display their progress somehow, but I think that probably won't be the default in places like profiles.

Also, not sure if possible, but it would be ideal if original titles were displayed in bracket after the english ones (if they're not the same). For instance : for obvious reasons a lot of the films that I watch and mention are french, and it's real tricky to recognize them in lists, given the obscure randomness of foreign title ("Comme une image" = "Look at me", etc). It's great to see under which title they are known internationally, but still, it would be easier to identify them with that addition. This may be useful for more people : Even in my french-speaking country, I sometimes have to ask for the original title of some foreign movies, given the randomness of their french translations.
I'll add this to the list and see if it's an easy add.

More anecdotally, two little bugs, on admittedly overly obscure entries :
- Jacqueline Veuve's "l'homme des casernes" (actually 1994) is being dated from 0 BC.
- Luc de Heusch's "une république devenue folle" isn't recognised through https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0270010/ (too little data on imdb?)
Will look into both. Most stuff like this, the explanation is just that our data source (www.themoviedb.org) is missing something, and we're basically at their mercy for this stuff.

Yeah, not super direct. Still in beta.
Thanks. I only wanted to make sure whether I was missing anything obvious, I'm reassured now.

Most stuff like this, the explanation is just that our data source (www.themoviedb.org) is missing something, and we're basically at their mercy for this stuff.
Ok. De Heusch's whole film, and Veuve's film's release date, are indeed absent from themoviedb.