The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

of course American History X was on my list and of course it was at #1!

My love for cinema as started the day I've seen this movie and the ending is still giving me goosebumps each time I think about it. So powerful and emotional. Ed Norton performance is a national treasure.

I agree with this, except for the "probably" part.
I've never liked American History X. One of the most overrated flicks in well, history!
People still care about American History X? Okay, whatever.

Rags to riches followed by a decline in fortune is not that uncommon an artist's story imo. Fits one of my suggestions I think

Much easier to devise a clue than sit on the other side of the fence and try to decipher it ya know

Just sayin'.
Oh, for sure. I'm not implying it's easy (and wasn't specifically referring to your suggestion or anything). What I mean is, why would I say it that way, as opposed to any other way? Lots of stories can technically fit the phrasing, unless you assume the phrasing was deliberately chosen to narrow things down. I'm reminding everyone that it is! If there's a word in a clue that could have easily been something else, but isn't, or seems superfluous for the purpose of matching those guesses...then it's almost certainly something else.

Also, not hard to devise clues, but very hard to devise clues that seem fair and obvious in retrospect. Mostly though I'm trying to make them harder, since at least one person has almost always guessed one or both. Jury's out on how we'll I'm doing. Hopefully it's interesting, at least.

IMDb is an acronym.
I'm gonna be That Guy and note that they're only acronyms if you say them aloud as if they were new words (like NASA, LASER, or SCUBA), but if we say the letters individually they're initialisms (IBM, FBI).

This is one of my favorite language facts, mostly because everybody says acronym to mean both.

I'm gonna be That Guy and note that they're only acronyms if you say them aloud as if they were new words (like NASA, LASER, or SCUBA), but if we say the letters individually they're initialisms (IBM, FBI).

This is one of my favorite language facts, mostly because everybody says acronym to mean both.
Can't wait to use initialisms at my next party. The chicks are going to dig it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tomorrow's hint:

Every artist's life story: first panned, then fauned over.
The Deer Hunter
and not sure yet

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Well I'm a hopeless Michael Mann fanboy so what the hell else was I gonna do but put Heat as my number #4. The ultimate cops and robbers movie, I don't think we'll see it's like again other than inferior imitations. Obviously the gun battle has been mentioned but I feel the ending scene is one of the best ever, so much going on here.

The scene also acts as kind of a sendoff for 2 of the most legendary actors in Hollywood history and marks the point at which they naturally drifted into more supporting co-starring roles. What a sendoff it was though.

SPOILERS (especially if you're one of the few who incredibly haven't seen it)

Tomorrow's hint:

Every artist's life story: first panned, then fauned over.
My guesses are Deer Hunter and Pan's Labyrinth or All About Eve

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Heat is the best action movie unless you've seen any Asian film. Like, I get it, it's fine but any half-decent Woo or To blows it out of the water.

American History X is good but, I mean, it's a favorite of neo-Nazis who apparently just jerk off to the first part of the movie and skip the second. Just imagine the irony.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Learn something new every day

The Adventure Starts Here!

And yet you still have trouble with "its" versus "it's."

Still... distinction noted. And now I'll see someone else use this fact twenty times in the next week.

I have only parts of American History X - especially the concrete/teeth scene. I may have seen Heat but I dont recall it by name..

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Heat is the best action movie unless you've seen any Asian film. Like, I get it, it's fine but any half-decent Woo or To blows it out of the water.
What?

Yes! What kind of **** ass world would this be if people could never right the wrongs they have done? The idea of redemption can be one of the motivating factors which makes someone turn their life around. Why make it more difficult by classifying certain people as being beyond it?

shrugs
I guess they don't assign Crime and Punishment in high schools anymore.

American History X has to be the first (only?) film on the list to have been disowned by both its director and lead actor, because the film pulled too many punches and they consider it compromised as a result. One thing I admire about it is that Edward Norton, nominated for an Oscar for the role, announced that if he won he would refuse it and give it to Denzel Washington instead for the superior, and more sublime, performance in He Got Game (not to mention the notoriously snubbed Malcolm X). That's a class move, and contains more wisdom than all of AHX. Of course, Norton needed not worry, as Roberto Begnini comes hopping over the seats. What have we learned, kids? That the Oscars suck worse than racism? Hmm.

#themoreyouknow

As long as we can agree that, when initializing, the article "the" is said before the initials rather than adding a bull**** "T" to the initials.

Sorry. One of my more traumatic modern peeves.

Love both but voted for neither.

Fans of American History X should check out 2018's Skin, a biographical film that's also a skinhead redemption story.

Now I'm dangerously close to a George Carlin routine...
Maybe closer to Gallagher

And yet you still have trouble with "its" versus "it's."
"Trouble" is a funny way to spell "typos." But I've made this distinction before and it's (see!) either never remembered or never believed, so I give up.

Anyway, this thread got pretty far afield. I'll just issue a blanket petition that any linguistic quibbles (and I'll abide by this, too) go in post or profile comments unless they have a really good reason to be in here, since we've already got a bunch of people talking about how hard the thread is to keep up with!