The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think Romper Stomper came out a few years before, pulled way less punches, and is probably a significantly better movie. But is also maybe a little too much at times, not simply for its violence, but for its seeming moral ambivalence to the actions of its main characters.
Yeah, and who knows why one film and not another becomes emblematic of something relating to the time period. It can be a little arbitrary. I think maybe that one was too early, too (there's, what, a seven year gap between them?), or proto-Crowe didn't bring as much attention to that project as Norton did to his. I recall the Norton role being one of the early-ish examples of the "so-and-so undergoes a huge physical transformation for a role" thing that's become a lot less noteworthy since.

I don't believe there is any kind of redemptive arc there, if I remember correctly
For Romper Stomper? Yeah, if so that's as good an explanation as any. As brutal as AHX (as the kidz presumably call it) is, it has that redemption story, at least.

But it also wasn't playing at any multiplex near anyone, so I suppose American History X was one of the first most movie goers saw that tackled similar things. So I can see how it would have an impact with a lot of people. Regardless of my objections to its quality.

Honestly though, I had no idea this thing was even thought about enough to even be considered 'overrated'. It was hot button topic movie for a tiny while, and it was one of the performances that cemented Edward Norton as one of the big actors of the time. But I thought it was mostly forgotten. It's the only movie Ive been at least somewhat caught off guard to see appear. Everything else seems to 'fit', whatever that means.
I dig. I wonder if it's partially a generational thing, too. IE: if most of the people who love it were just of the right age there to be shocked by how raw it was, or to not have seen particularly brutal/unflinching depictions of racial hatred like that. Dunno. But over-the-top films, if well made, always seem to automatically resonate with some subset of the population simply because that's their first exposure to some potent idea, even if it's been done better. It's a little way I like to think that movies mirror music.

I think Romper Stomper came out a few years before, pulled way less punches, and is probably a significantly better movie. But is also maybe a little too much at times, not simply for its violence, but for its seeming moral ambivalence to the actions of its main characters. I don't believe there is any kind of redemptive arc there, if I remember correctly
I also wasn't a huge fan of Romper Stomper, probably because of the same reasons you mention. By the second half, it merely turns into a rivalry/jealousy match between Hando and Davey for the girl, and that's about it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I saw both movies for the first time about 20 years ago.. I liked them both at the time, but then again, I wasn't as critical. When you haven't seen many movies, it's hard to compare things which have no context.

I saw "American History X" recently and thought it ok. Surprised it has over a million ratings on IMDB, and an 8.5/10 rating! I think both racists and anti-racists probably like this, because they throw raw meat towards each side at different times.

I haven't seen "Heat" in a long time, but I do love Michael Mann's first movie, "Thief", which is definitely the better movie. I think it was one of those "Finally, Pacino and De Niro at together in a movie, and in a scene".. It's the only reason I watched it.

Yep, "fauned" has to indicate Pan's surely
Mebbe The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre for the other?

Yep, "fauned" has to indicate Pan's surely
Mebbe The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre for the other?
I was thinking the "panned" part as well on that clue.

I saw both movies for the first time about 20 years ago.. I liked them both at the time, but then again, I wasn't as critical. When you haven't seen many movies, it's hard to compare things which have no context.
Yes, and that is why on this site, as well as the IMDb community, there is a strong contingent that holds movies from about 1999 in such high regard, I believe. There are a group of longtime members here who were between sixteen and twenty-one years old around the turn of the 21st Century. The good, new movies they saw at that time were very impactful, partially because they were burgeoning film fans who had likely never even seen the great movies that were ten or twenty years old at that time, much less the ones that were fifty or sixty years old. Today in their thirties even if they have broadened their base of film knowledge in the past twenty years there is an emotional and nostalgic pull for those first movies that made them film fans.

And that is all fine and legit. I'm not discounting it or putting it down, I am explaining why I think there is such undying support for some of the movies from that era around here and the IMDb.

But if you tell me The Boondock Saints is one of your all-time favorites and it forever kicks ass I can tell you about how old you are. There are very, very few people who were thirty or fifty or sixty years old in 1999 who think Boondock Saints is anything other than an over-the-top cult movie. I can't imagine too many kids who are now sixteen or nineteen who would see it today, now that it is an "old" movie to them that was made before they were even born, and becoming rabid fans. But if you were 17-years-old in 2000, had never seen Pulp Fiction or Shallow Grave or Man Bites Dog or The Hit or Blue Velvet or Blood Simple or The Friends of Eddie Coyle and you and your best friend rented it from Blockbuster and watched in in your basement and loved it so much that you rented it two more times before you bought it, and the critics hated it which made you love it even more, I do understand why it is a special movie for you and why it boasts a 7.8 rating on the IMDb.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Don't wanna say too much, but it feels like there are a few guesses here that don't incorporate the pre-colon part of the hint at all, and thus cannot be correct.

Just sayin'.

Yes, and that is why on this site, as well as the IMDb community, there is a strong contingent that holds movies from about 1999 in such high regard, I believe. There are a group of longtime members here who were between sixteen and twenty-one years old around the turn of the 21st Century. The good, new movies they saw at that time were very impactful, partially because they were burgeoning film fans who had likely never even seen the great movies that were ten or twenty years old at that time, much less the ones that were fifty or sixty years old. Today in their thirties even if they have broadened their base of film knowledge in the past twenty years there is an emotional and nostalgic pull for those first movies that made them film fans.

And that is all fine and legit. I'm not discounting it or putting it down, I am explaining why I think there is such undying support for some of the movies from that era around here and the IMDb.

But if you tell me The Boondock Saints is one of your all-time favorites and it forever kicks ass I can tell you about how old you are. There are very, very few people who were thirty or fifty or sixty years old in 1999 who think Boondock Saints is anything other than an over-the-top cult movie. I can't imagine too may kids who are now sixteen or nineteen who would see it today, now that it is an "old" movie to them that was made before they were even born, and being rabid fans. But if you were 17-years-old in 2000, had never seen Pulp Fiction or Shallow Grave or Man Bites Dog or The Hit or Blue Velvet or Blood Simple or The Friends of Eddie Coyle and you and your best friend rented it from Blockbuster and watched in in your basement and loved it so much that you rented it two more times before you bought it, I do understand why it is a special movie for you and why it boasts a 7.8 rating on the IMDb.
I got 1 movie from that late 90s era you mentioned, 1998 to be precise... and I was 16 in 1998.

I was kinda surprised at how many post 2000 movies I had in my 25... but I'm definitely more an 80s fan.
Especially 80s sci-fi.

Also,
... the IMDb.

... the IMDb.
Putting "the" in front of certain things shows your age, HP

"What you doing grandpa?"
"I'm on the IMDb, seeing what's good so I can use the Netflix or the YouTube to streak a good moving picture"

I think the "panned" and "fauned" is a pretty obvious nod to Pan's Labyrinth. As for the first part? it kinda gives me a Sunset Boulevard vibe....?

Tomorrow's hint:

Every artist's life story: first panned, then fauned over.
The Deer Hunter
The Artist or maybe The Beautiful Troublemaker

I think the "panned" and "fauned" is a pretty obvious nod to Pan's Labyrinth. As for the first part? it kinda gives me a Sunset Boulevard vibe....?
Good point, but I sure hope Sunset's higher than this

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Yes, and that is why on this site, as well as the IMDb community, there is a strong contingent that holds movies from about 1999 in such high regard, I believe. .

The late 90s was when I started taking movies very seriously, and despite 99% of what I love was made pre-matt72582, I saw promise, and even today notice a lot of movies I like, made around 1999. I wonder why - if some tried thinking outside the box because a new century was emerging?

-Buffalo '66
-American Beauty
-Taste of Cherry
-Magnolia
-The Straight Story
-Trainspotting
-Good Will Hunting
-Office Space
-My Name Is Joe
-American Psycho
-Happiness
-American Psycho
-High Fidelity
-Run Lola Run
-Rushmore
-Wag the Dog
-Eyes Wide Shut
-Funny Games
-Career Girls
-The Mirror
-The Big Lebowski

I don't know what the hell happened since... And I watch all sorts of movies, from every decade, any country, sometimes after seeing someone's rating, or even a poster, since I have trouble deciding.. Sad. There was some hope for movies (and some hope for me personally).

"I'm on the IMDb, seeing what's good so I can use the Netflix or the YouTube to streak a good moving picture"
IMDb is an acronym. Netflix is not. YouTube is not. Don't you say, "I got money from the ATM today" or do you say, "I got money from ATM today" because you're young and hip and articles don't mean ****?

You probably definitely say "ATM machine", but that is another abuse of English for another time.

But editorially yes, instead of saying, "...it boasts a 7.8 rating on the IMDb" I could have said "...it boasts a 7.8 IMDb rating".