The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Both of these films placed well on the MoFo '90s List. Heat was #21 and American History X nine spots lower at #30.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Heat was in no danger of making my list. It was a solid heist film with good acting and strong directing, but the story kind of starts to lose it in the final third.

Haven't seen American History X. Not sure whether I want to see it or not due to the subject matter and how it takes the stands it does.

My List:
6. Metropolis

A Woman Under The Influence is an interesting addition for sure- I remember during Holdens 70s list it was all the buzz around here, I found it rather forgettable personally. Here's what I said when I saw it in 2013

A Woman Under the Influence is a film I've been meaning to catch for a good while now. It's about a broken home, or perhaps the end was implying that this was a normal home, either way it's about a home. In this home there's a wife, a husband, and three kids. It couldn't be more normal, except the wife is coo-koo, and the husband is an abusive prick. Both had amazing performances, but especially Gena Rowlands. If you've seen the 2010 film Blue Valentine the style is incredibly similar. I think the main draw back of the film is that it tried to be too genuine. I was shocked by the realistic feel, but I was noticing so much that I never viewed this as a real family. It never left just a movie zone for me, which I think is contrary of the intent. I felt that the film could have been trimmed down some, but the length wasn't to big of a deal. The problem was the over kill of realism, and trying to show a regular family with there baggage, been better if Cassavates toned down trying to make it 100% life like.
It's been even longer since I've seen Heat or American History X but I have them
and
respectively, and good to see some 90s on the list

32/32

3/25

Heat was my #1 choice, not much I can say but go out of your way to watch/revisit if you can. One of those nearly three hour films that doesn't feel like you need to keep checking your watch. Was gathering some thoughts this morning and realized **spoilers**

The finale feels almost like a quasi real life ending for Pacino/De Niro's great run of movies they acted in starting in the 70's.

A system of cells interlinked
I've never liked American History X. One of the most overrated flicks in well, history!

I have always thought of Heat as good but not great, but maybe I need to watch it again.

Seen both movies, American History X was alright, not a favorite though, but Heat is a good movie, on my 100 favorites list but not top 25 though.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I've never liked American History X. One of the most overrated flicks in well, history!
Is it one of the most overrated films in history though, or history x?

My Summary:

Seen: 24/32
My list: 0/25

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Heat is one of my fave Mann films but I don't really think about it too often. I guess this is a spoiler but here's my fave scene (although it doesn't hold a candle to my faves in Bigelow's Point Break.)

American History X I probably think about less even though it too is good even if I find it too schematic.

I expect the praise American History X gets is for not pulling any punches on a very disturbing subject. It probably seems trite now, but 20 years ago it really stood out. I didn't vote for it, and never came close to either, and I wouldn't quibble with the word "underrated," but neither am I perplexed as to why it had a profound effect on many of the people who saw it closer to its release.

American History X caught my attention when I first saw it circa 2005 or 06 because I had obviously never seen the subject of the movie portrayed as raw as it was then. I'm guessing Norton's performance is still strong but I don't think the movie may have aged well for me.

I expect the praise American History X gets is for not pulling any punches on a very disturbing subject. It probably seems trite now, but 20 years ago it really stood out. I didn't vote for it, and never came close to either, and I wouldn't quibble with the word "underrated," but neither am I perplexed as to why it had a profound effect on many of the people who saw it closer to its release.

I think Romper Stomper came out a few years before, pulled way less punches, and is probably a significantly better movie. But is also maybe a little too much at times, not simply for its violence, but for its seeming moral ambivalence to the actions of its main characters. I don't believe there is any kind of redemptive arc there, if I remember correctly

But it also wasn't playing at any multiplex near anyone, so I suppose American History X was one of the first most movie goers saw that tackled similar things. So I can see how it would have an impact with a lot of people. Regardless of my objections to its quality.

Honestly though, I had no idea this thing was even thought about enough to even be considered 'overrated'. It was hot button topic movie for a tiny while, and it was one of the performances that cemented Edward Norton as one of the big actors of the time. But I thought it was mostly forgotten. It's the only movie Ive been at least somewhat caught off guard to see appear. Everything else seems to 'fit', whatever that means.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Also fair warning today's hint may suck, because I've spent a few minutes trying to come up with one and don't have anything yet.
Dude Where's My Car and Robocop

Honestly though, I had no idea this thing was even thought about enough to even be considered 'overrated'. It was hot button topic movie for a tiny while, and it was one of the performances that cemented Edward Norton as one of the big actors of the time. But I thought it was mostly forgotten. It's the only movie Ive been at least somewhat caught off guard to see appear. Everything else seems to 'fit', whatever that means.
It's ranked pretty high on IMDb's top 250 (#38), so I'm not that surprised it showed up here. It acquired a pretty big cult following after it was released.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I won't be surprised if at least 60% of the titles on here are also on the IMDb top 250. There's already been significant overlap as it is.