Cries and Whispers
11.11%
2 votes
In This Our Life
11.11%
2 votes
Whatever Happened to Baby Jean
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

WELL FOLKS, after a pummeling semester and a vacation away from everything, it's high time to revamp this dying monster we call a film club. This time, however, with a lil' something new, which you will all learn about soon enough.....

Anyhoozen, as if I didn't alienate enough of you yet, the theme this month will be strong female casts, primarily because quality films of this type are hard to come by and they should be known, so throw away your razors and let down your ponytails, it's about to get ugly.

Caged (1950)

"The" woman prison film/noir, where a women is sent to prison wrongly, and allows her innocence to transform into something darker, after dealing with the other prisoners and the corruption of the system. Stars Eleanor Parker who most know from the Sound of Music, so here's a fun contrast.

Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)

Starring Maggie Smith (or as you know her Professor McGonagall), she plays a radical private school teacher who aims to teach her girls how to be independent and other romantic virtues, which turns itself on its head as the film progresses. It's a great experience, loving/hating the characters as they explore the extent of their power, the main student becoming more and more complex, while the teacher becoming more and more simplistic. Most people know Dead Poet's Society, but this film tackles more issues, and in some ways more profoundly, though still in different ways. Less-discussed, but highly praised.

Cries and Whispers (1972)

Bergman's "fade to red" film deals with three sisters who are being torn apart by something unspoken. One of the sisters is dying, but the other two cannot really come to sympathize, and as the film progresses we find out why. I'd call this a warning from Bergman, rather than a cold hopeless observation as some who hate it say, but speaks remarkably about the effects of loving yourself to love others, as well as showing a weakness as a motivator. Also highly praised.

In This Our Life (1942)

Bette Davis leaves her fiancé and runs off with her sister's husband under the direction of John Huston (Maltese Falcon, Treasure of Sierra Madre, African Queen) and music of Max Steiner. But that's the upside of the story, as the disfunction only escalates. Also notable for portraying a black man with a brain in the 40s, wrongly blamed for the suicide of said husband. Impressive, undiscussed melodrama.

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane (1962)

Bette Davis again! This time playing against Joan Crawford, sisters again, but a little more psychologically heated. One was a child star, one is a cripple, but now they're older and live in a decrepit mansion, a formula for the ultimate sibling rivalry, even battle royale later on. All the more more fun because these two hated each other in real life.

Cries and Whispers is an awesome movie, but I'd rather go with something new (to me) so I voted for Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. I watched most of Caged before too, I was bored during it

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I love Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? but like Donnie, I want to explore new territory so I voted for Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

I'm going to wait and see for the moment, as I have three of those films, but have yet to see one (Cries And Whispers). However, I really like 'Whatever' and 'Prime'. I'll see if I can get a copy of Caged, as I've not seen it, so that might be interesting.

Not a fan of Baby Jane, but would love to see In This Our Life.

Unfortunately, I have never seen CAGED, but out of the ones I've seen, I would have to vote for THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE...between the glorious Oscar-winning performance by Maggie Smith, Celia Johnson as Miss McKay, and Pamela Franklin as Sandy, this film definitely deserves to win this poll.

I voted for Cries and Whispers, along with almost everyone else it seems (yay). I desperately need to see more Bergman and this one has been on my watchlist for a while.
Ditto, for precisely the same reasons.

I voted for Cries and Whispers, along with almost everyone else it seems (yay). I desperately need to see more Bergman and this one has been on my watchlist for a while.
This, and I have the film ready to watch too.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I voted for Cries and Whispers. I was planning seeing this one soon, plus it happens to be on Youtube in full.

The people have spoken. I seriously doubt another choice will hit double digits (we'll see, the poll will be open for the month). I'll be preparing the winner, probably Cries and Whispers, for after the Oscars, just so everyone knows.

Yeah, get your hands on this one ASAP, people. There's even a small surprise coming, so you won't want to miss out. Everyone's welcome; all you've gotta do is watch the film, and then talk about it.

The surprise is there's going to be a chat room open one day soon so everyone here can watch Cries & Whispers together.

This movie, of all movies, instead of Pulp Fiction.

The discussion's up!

The surprise is that myself, wintertriangles, and Daniel M. recorded a short conversation about the film to jump start the discussion, and we're looking at doing quick podcasts for each Movie Club selection in the future. Give it a listen.