Nolan Copycats

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Cameron did three of the best movies of all time in my opinion, T1, T2 and Titanic, so I would have to rank him as one of the best therefore, even though he hasn't done a lot of movies.

I'm not familiar with Mendes' recent films outside of Skyfall which I barely remember, but as for Villeneuve, nothing about Arrival reminded me of Nolan. They may be complex films which require the audience to think about them to decipher their meaning, but that doesn't alone make them copycats. I feel like Nolan films tend to contain exposition (Inception and Interstelar) while Arrival was largely told through visual storytelling and certain scenes getting double meanings after you understand the ending. In addition, I feel like Nolan films operate more at a skin-deep level of complexity while other films from this decade (The Tree of Life, Under the Skin, and Arrival) have more layers to them. On a side note, I feel like this is why those films get called pretentious by the audience more than any of Nolan's films do. Regardless though, I wasn't reminded of Nolan at all while watching Arrival.

Villeneuve's movies are nothing like Nolan's. Villeneuve released his first feature before Nolan released his too.

Please tell me which parts of 'Maelstrom', 'Incendies', 'August 32nd on Earth' and 'Polytechnique' are "copying" Nolan.
I'm genuinely intrigued - @aronisred - can you answer the questions above please. Thanks.

Villeneuve's movies are nothing like Nolan's. Villeneuve released his first feature before Nolan released his too.

Please tell me which parts of 'Maelstrom', 'Incendies', 'August 32nd on Earth' and 'Polytechnique' are "copying" Nolan.
I'm genuinely intrigued - @aronisred - can you answer the questions above please. Thanks.

No one in America or rest of the world cares about those movies. They are all stepping stones like the following for nolan. It is when he started getting hollywood support, he started turning into a Poor man's Nolan. He is chasing those studio blockbusters that are intimate but made on a bigger scale. That right there is the scale nolan has been working with. He is known for that kind of movies. How else can you explains studios giving hundreds of millions to a foreign director who made small movies if not for Nolan's influence. He could have easily made another Incendies or sicario but he choose to follow in Nolan's footsteps.

No one in America or rest of the world cares about those movies.
Nobody in Canada cares about a hugely tender and well constructed, sympathetic film depicting the true events of the Montreal College Massacre of 1989?

Y'okay.

I think you either:

1) Have a massive gap in your movie knowledge base concerning Villenueve.
2) Are on a wind up. A quite successful one.

Or perhaps more likely, are unwilling to admit that Villenueve is a better film-maker than your hero.

. How else can you explains studios giving hundreds of millions to a foreign director who made small movies if not for Nolan's influence.
You're literally saying that every director making their first large studio blockbuster has copied Nolan. Chloe Zhao - copied Nolan as she?

I knew Nolan squirters were renowned for their myopic views but this is something else.

In your words:

they lack a distinct voice or a thruline among all their movies
That's literally the opposite of Villenueve's movies. They all have distinct patterns and themes. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that of Villenueve's filmography, you have seen around 40%.

And by the way, 'Following' is a great film. One of Nolan's best.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm surprised there wasn't an attempt to classify Incendies itself as a Nolan knock-off because it's a mystery that jumps back and forth in time like Following or Memento.

I'm surprised there wasn't an attempt to classify Incendies itself as a Nolan knock-off because it's a mystery that jumps back and forth in time like Following or Memento.
Yeah. And as we all know,' Following' and 'Memento' were the first ever movies to use that technique.