Pixar Hall of Fame

Tools    

A Bug's Life (1998)

I enjoyed this rewatch, it was better than I remembered. Still bottom half Pixar but I have a new appreciation for it. A Bug's Life is like the simplest take on the three act structure with some predictable beats that are very cliché. The simple story worked well here though and there's enough variety with the animation and settings that it kept me invested. It's a great showcase for animal hierarchy and the way that personalities differ based on species made each introduction fun and unique. The next Pixar film I watched expands upon these concepts but this one did it first.

The voice acting seems a tad clunkier than other Pixar films and the jokes were awkward as a result. Flik is also the least memorable Pixar lead for me. That'll keep it below most of the Pixar movies nominated here but it's an entertaining film.

It will also forever be associated with and compared to Antz because that's what people do.

Finding Nemo (2003)

A stunning film with an epic sense of wonder. The character, colour, vastness and danger of the sea is set up right from the opening scene. Marlin's character is established from that opening with his overprotectiveness towards Nemo. The conclusion for Marlin and Nemo's relationship is satisfying because it's set up early on. A learning to trust and bond that develops through the story.

And the way Finding Nemo sets up its characters after that opening is so clever. Marlin's quest may seem quite random as he and Dory bounce from group to group but these characters are intriguing and funny. From seagulls who mindlessly hover for any scrap, to turtles who act like chilled out dudes, to a shark recovering from a blood addiction like a drug addict. There's constant amusing creativity when it comes to animal behaviour.

It's also gorgeously animated. With the ocean as the backdrop they had a lot of ways they could put this film together and it shows.

Will be higher than I anticipated.

Toy Story (1995)

Definitely an important film seeing as its was the first ever computer-animated feature film. The animation here is quite good but its something that definitely improves with their later features. The voice acting is pretty good too, with Tim Allen and Tom Hanks being the standouts. The plot is nothing new but its still pretty enjoyable to watch. Overall though while I did enjoy revisiting this I feel that its two sequels are much better. Still a good film though one that it is always fun to watch.

A Bug's Life (1998)

A film I was interested in revisiting since its one I hadn't seen in some time. As usual the animation is great and there are fair amount of memorable characters. The plot is basically just that of Seven Samurai but Pixar add their own twist to it. The film was also a lot funnier than I remembered it to be which is another plus. Overall a pretty solid second effort from Pixar and is definitely one of their more underrated works.

A Bug's Life is our first film that has been completely reviewed.

A Bug's Life - 8/8
Coco - 7/8
Monsters University - 7/8
Ratatouille - 7/8
The Incredibles - 7/8
Finding Nemo - 7/8
Toy Story - 7/8
Up - 5/8

One day left, now, with nine reviews to be written. I believe everybody has most/all of the movies watched by now, just need to post reviews and send lists.

Today is the deadline. Try to get any reviews in today, if you can’t just let me know how long you need an extension. I’m not going to disqualify anyone because this is a smaller HoF anyways and I know most people have watched all the films left already.

Finding Nemo

Always liked this quite a bit so it was pretty fun to revisit. The animation is up there some of the best Pixar has produced and the characters are (particularly Dory) are extremely entertaining to watch, which is no doubt helped by fantastic voice performances. Overall the film is a great adventure film and definitely one of Pixar's best efforts.

Still eight reviews left, but we have Finding Nemo now completely reviewed.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Today is the deadline. Try to get any reviews in today, if you can’t just let me know how long you need an extension. I’m not going to disqualify anyone because this is a smaller HoF anyways and I know most people have watched all the films left already.
I'm done. I just haven't written up Toy Story or Nemo. I can send a list tonight though

Okay, I'll give everyone one more week, and if the reviews aren't in by then I will have to disqualify people . It's just taking too long for the reviews to come in.

Okay, I'll give everyone one more week, and if the reviews aren't in by then I will have to disqualify people . It's just taking too long for the reviews to come in.
Some people tend to procrastinate, in both life and in HoFs. I swear if we gave 1 month for every movie in an HoF, there would still be a couple people who wouldn't be done by the end. I mean it's not like these are long movies and it's hard to believe people can't find a couple hours in an entire week to watch one....You're a good host, Ahwell and if you have to disqualify people in a week, don't feel bad, as you gave more than a fair chance. I'm impressed that you came up with this Pixar HoF idea and made it happen, you're OK in my book!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It does happen, I'm a big last second reviewer poster myself and have dealt with this as a host as well. Please don't take it to heart, ahwell, this has been a splendid HoF and you've a helluva job!

Thanks much Citizen Rules and edarsenal. And I just want to make it clear that I am not at all annoyed or upset that people have gone over the time restraints, I just needed to put final parameters to possibly speed it up a bit.

Still eight reviews left, but we have Finding Nemo now completely reviewed.

I think it's more in line with six because two of those reviews are the nominated ones from those posters

I think it's more in line with six because two of those reviews are the nominated ones from those posters
Yes, that's true, that lowers it a bit.

and the remaining three reviewers ARE very reliable in finishing up, so we should be pretty good on a 100% completions barring any offline life emergencies. God forbid.

I've just been insanely busy these past couple days. I should have messaged you. But I'll definitely have them up soon.
yeah, right. Go on, whisper your little promises in our ears.