2010 Best Director Oscar

Tools    

Cast your vote for Oscar's Best Director...
76.00%
19 votes
Kathryn Bigelow, THE HURT LOCKER
12.00%
3 votes
James Cameron, AVATAR
4.00%
1 votes
Lee Daniels, PRECIOUS
0%
0 votes
Jason Reitman, UP IN THE AIR
8.00%
2 votes
Quentin Tarantino, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
25 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The four men and one woman nominated as this year's Best Director by the Academy. But who will take home the Oscar?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Kathryn Bigelow, she got the DGA, she's a shoe-in.

Suspect's Reviews

Yes, The Director's Guild having already named their winner has taken much of the guesswork out of this one. Since the DGA started handing out this award back in 1949, their winner and the Oscar's Best director have differed only six times. Six. Though three of those six did come in the last thirteen years: in 1996 when Ron Howard won the DGA for Apollo 13 and Mel Gibson the Oscar for Braveheart, in 2001 when Ang Lee got the DGA's nod for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon then Steven Soderbergh the Oscar for Traffic, and 2003 when Rob Marhsall got the DGA Award for Chicago but exiled Roman Polanski was the surprise winner of the Academy's prize for The Pianist.

So since Kathryn Bigelow has already won the DGA Award, you'd be betting against some very serious historical odds to say anybody but her will get the Oscar. Still, she is only the fourth woman ever to be nominated as Best Director for the Academy Award, joining Lina Wertmüller in 1977 (Seven Beauties), Jane Campion in 1994 (The Piano) and Sofia Coppola in 2004 (Lost in Translation). Will this particular Hollywood glass ceiling be broken this year? The Directors Guild of America seems to think so.

Precious's Lee Daniels is only the second Black man to be nominated as Best Director, the other being John Singleton back in 1992 for Boyz N the Hood. I wouldn't say he has anything resembling a shot, but considering this is only his second effort as a director and his first was the dreadful Shadowboxer, it certainly makes him somebody to watch, even at the tender age of fifty (he also produced the indies Monster's Ball and The Woodsman).

This is only the third film from Jason Reitman, but already his second nomination as Best Director - he and Juno having lost to The Coen Brothers and No Country for Old Men two years ago. No real chance of stealing a win here this year, but obviously he's quickly becoming a force in the industry. His Dad Ivan had some big hits and made a mint as a producer, but Jason looks like he'll be around for quite a while and as far as "prestige" awards and such has already surpassed what his Father has done in the biz. He's only thirty-two.

Quentin Tarantino has been a brand name since the unexpected and in many ways unprecedented success of Pulp Fiction fourteen years ago. That one netted him his only other Oscar nom as Director, ultimately losing to Robert Zemeckis and Forrest Gump. I find it hard to believe that the Academy is going to reward such a happily bloody piece of cinematic action fantasy as Inglourious Basterds with the top prizes they have, but even so it's nice to see Quentin back in play in such an arena.

James Cameron - well Hell, everybody knows him. He's the self-proclaimed king of the world! And now he's king of the off-world, too. With just about all of the major awards so far this year, if Kathryn Bigelow hasn't won for directing it's been ex-husband Jim trotting up to the stage. Well Titanic was his only other nomination. Yes, OK, it wasn't just a nomination it was part of Titanic's eleven wins out of fourteen nominations that Oscars as the film made over a billion dollars theatrically worldwide. This time his nod is one of Avatar's nine Academy noms as it makes yet another billion bucks at the box office.

So as with most years, it all boils down to a two-horse race. Will it be Bigelow or Cameron? Smart money is on Kathryn.

Why is Danny Boyle with Bigelow in that first pic? Does the winner of the earlier year present the award or something?

Why is Danny Boyle with Bigelow in that first pic? Does the winner of the earlier year present the award or something?

Yes, Danny Boyle won last year for Slumdog, so he presents this year. He got his DGA Award last year from Joel and Ethan Coen, Joel and Ethan received theirs from Scorsese, and so on. If the previous year's winner isn't busy for some reason (or nominated again), that's who gets the duty. The Oscars operate the same way most of the time, at least with the acting prizes.

It seems we're all in agreement on Bigelow. The Hurt Locker is a really excellent film. And it would please me greatly to see her get a nod here. All five of these directors are great directors in my opinion.

I will still be rooting hard for Lee Daniels come Oscar night though. Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire was for me anyway, the absolute best film of the year. Sure, its a goofy ass title, but so what. See the film anyway won't you?

I have always been firmly entrenched in the QT camp and his latest film just reaffirmed how excellent a filmmaker he really is. Up until I saw Precious, Inglorious Basterds was in my opinion the best film of the year.

I enjoyed Reitman's, Up in the Air much more so than his previous effort Juno, which I found relatively average and haven't even bothered to see again as a matter of act. Up in the Air however, I plan to see again and soon. I liked it. A lot. Very good stuff and I'm looking forward, greedily, to his next flick.

And then there's James Cameron. Who, now, I think it's safe to say will never be confused with George Lucas. This guy can make a film that should be incredibly average and turns it into a cultural phenomena. How many of you want to go and live on Pandora?

It wouldn't shock me in the least if he were to steal this Oscar from Bigelow. I hope not, but it sure wouldn't shock me.

I think she's foxy, and the fact she directed the best of the bunch just adds to that.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Employee of the Month
Side note: As most of you do already know, Cameron and Bigelow were married (from 1989 to 1991).
Just gossip, but it makes the whole thing even more interesting.

im pulling for Bigelow

If you've noticed, most of the time Best Picture also gets best Director. As I'm sure Hurt Locker is the favorite, I'm pretty sure Bigelow is going to make it.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Anyone else find it rather ironic that a woman directed what I think may be one of the best war films ever made?

OMG, how I so want the barrier to be broken -- a woman wins Best Director. This is the one award I really care about.

Also the favorite, especially given the DGA Award predictor, but yes, Kathryn Bigelow became the first woman to ever win an Oscar for Best Director. I hate when the Academy manufactures moments, as in having Babs Streisand present the award, but so be it.

Either that or she's much younger and is making us all wow over her apparent agelessness

she is a good looking woman that's for sure, very elegant.