Daniel Day Lewis Retires

Tools    

I remember Anthony Hopkins announcing the same thing... in the 90s.
20 years later he's still at it!

If 'he's still at it' means doing the bare minimum to receive a paycheck, than yes, he's still at it. Day Lewis doesn't need a paycheck. Even if he did, he wouldn't go out of his way to star in anything, he's what you call a professional. Trust Me. He's done.

Mendelsohn - No.
Turturo - No.
Well we all have our opinions, but I strongly disagree on the ones above. They are fabulous actors.

Also, you forgot about Colin Firth. But nevermind...
No, I didn't forget about Colin Firth.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
He's winning for Phantom Thread. It's probably the earliest Oscar Lock in history.

Suspect's Reviews

Pardon Muah? What dictates he won't? Granted, I'm fully aware literally ZERO of us have seen the Film, and that FOR SURE plays a massive part in just about everything my aforementioned statement suggests. But DDL always nails it in every role he's in, and this time he's working with PTA again. Plus, in Phantom Thread;
WARNING: "Phantom Thread" spoilers below
he plays a closet homosexual who suppresses who he really is and is torn quite emotionally because of it.
So I'm 100% sure he'll pull off a tremendous, emotionally complex performance.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Pardon Muah? What dictates he won't? Granted, I'm fully aware literally ZERO of us have seen the Film, and that FOR SURE plays a massive part in just about everything my aforementioned statement suggests. But DDL always nails it in every role he's in, and this time he's working with PTA again. Plus, in Phantom Thread;
he plays a closet homosexual who suppresses who he really is and is torn quite emotionally because of it.
So I'm 100% sure he'll pull off a tremendous, emotionally complex performance.

That in no way means he's already "won" the Oscar.

That in no way means he's already "won" the Oscar.

Oh my Goodness that's EXACTLY the Case! He HAS Already Won The Oscar Love that you described it that way!

Where did you get that info from?

It's... umm, history? Charles James? You don't know?
The film isn't a biopic about Charles James. It's loosely based on his life (among others). So what you're saying is pure speculation and hasn't been confirmed yet. It's possible that this specific characteristic of Charles James' life will be reflected upon in the film, but you can't possibly know that for sure yet.