Daniel Day Lewis Retires

Tools    

With the remaining few being Christian Bale, Dustin Hoffman, and Bryan Cranston.
I'd say It's pretty close
?? Those are the only good actors left?

There are literally hundreds as good as those 3.

?? Those are the only good actors left?

There are literally hundreds as good as those 3.
Like who?

Also, Thank You for reminding me about Fassbender. That bloke is a bloody treasure.

Like who?

Also, Thank You for reminding me about Fassbender. That bloke is a bloody treasure.
Off the top of my head:

Fassbender
Weaving
Defoe
Shannon
Mendelsohn
Mortensen
Bardem
Sheen
Waltz
Dano
WH Macy
Bridges
Phoenix
Oldman
Rockwell
Harrelson
von Sydow
Mconaughy
Kingsley
Norton
Gosling
Penn
Gyllenhall
del Toro
Ganz
Leto
Malkovich
Duvall
Downey Jnr
Robbins
Turturo
Goodman
Walken
C Reilly
Mikkelsen
R Jenkins
C Affleck
Keitel
B Murray
Nighy
Spacey
Garcia Bernal
Kitano
Cage
Arkin
BB Thornton
Voight
JK Simmons
Edgerton

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
That sucks, especially since his filmography is so light, I'd see him in anything. We're definitely in for something extraordinary with Phantom Thread then.

Until he comes back when Nicholson inevitably gets his fourth statue for that Toni Erdmann remake. He won't have coming in second.

True, but one of those is for Supporting. So in terms of Best Actor, they would both have 3 each.

He took a long break from acting before to become a cobbler, until Scorsese brought him back with his hardened performance in Gangs of New York. Maybe he'll come back when he's really old for one last film, but who knows. A friend of mine believes he's sick and he wants to (get better / die in peace) He's always been a private guy, so this doesn't surprise me.

Suspect's Reviews

A friend of mine believes he's sick and he wants to (get better / die in peace) He's always been a private guy, so this doesn't surprise me.
The way it was reported did hint that there was a bit of "personal reasons" about the decision. Hope I'm wrong and he just wants to spend a bit more time doing things retired people do.

The truth is in here
Ouch. He hasn't been in that many roles, so this kinda hurts to hear even though I haven't seen him in a movie yet.

I definitely want to however. I've seen a clip from Lincoln, and how he portrayed him already had me fascinated.

This really ruined my DAY yesterday. Get it?

Not really. I just wanted to make a joke. Shut up!

I'm going out on a limb here...no matter what Daniel Day Lewis may have announced yesterday, I have a feeling that someone in his life, whether it be an agent, a publicist, his wife, whoever, but someone is going to convince him that he cannot retire without winning a fourth Oscar and he will come out of retirement to make it happen.

Off the top of my head:
Fassbender - An Exception
Weaving - Decent Character Actor.
Defoe - Decent
Shannon - Decent
Mendelsohn - No.
Mortensen - Good
Bardem - Good
Sheen - NO!
Waltz - His Potential is wasted most of the time
Dano - Still has a lot to prove
WH Macy - 'Okay'
Bridges - Good at playing variations of himself (except for TBL.)
Phoenix - An Exception
Oldman - An Exception
Rockwell - Average
Harrelson - Overrated
von Sydow - A Definition Exception
Mconaughy - Great at playing variations of himself
Kingsley - Decent
Norton - A Potential Exception
Gosling - A Favorite of Mine. But that's just Biased.
Penn - An Exception
Gyllenhall - On his way to becoming an Exception
del Toro - Better Than Decent
Ganz - For Playing Hitler?
Leto - A Potential Exception
Malkovich - Decent
Duvall - Essentially Quit 'Acting'
Downey Jnr - Overrated
Robbins - No.
Turturo - No.
Goodman - Decent.
Walken - Better than Average. His Best was 'The Dear Hunter.'
(I personally believe you only put him on here because he's Christopher Walken.
How can I blame you though?)
C Reilly - Sorry, But no.
Mikkelsen - An Exception
R Jenkins - Average
C Affleck - On his way to become an Exception.
Keitel - Decent
B Murray - Average
Nighy - Average
Spacey - Better than Decent but just doesn't care anymore.
Garcia Bernal - Average
Kitano - Decent
Cage - Better than Average but just doesn't care anymore.
Arkin - Better than Decent but just doesn't care anymore.
BB Thornton - Decent
Voight - Better than Average but just doesn't care anymore.
JK Simmons - Amazing at playing Variations of Himself
(with a few non-variation exceptions)
Edgerton - Still has a lot to prove.

I guess my comment could be called exaggerated. But No, because Day Lewis was the definition of Acting. Very Few Actors could achieve what he did, and what he did was lead by example of what an ACTOR should be. There are very few that do lead by example. He still deserves his retirement. What a Bloody Legend

Also, you forgot about Colin Firth. But nevermind...

I'm going out on a limb here...no matter what Daniel Day Lewis may have announced yesterday, I have a feeling that someone in his life, whether it be an agent, a publicist, his wife, whoever, but someone is going to convince him that he cannot retire without winning a fourth Oscar and he will come out of retirement to make it happen.
He's winning for Phantom Thread. It's probably the earliest Oscar Lock in history.