Movies You Thought You'd Love, But Don't?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
To be fair to Citizen, following the crowd would be liking 12 Angry Men if anything him disliking it is going against the crowd. Unless i'm misunderstanding you there.
I'm talking about the character who doesn't care, and just goes along with the majority, with no reason or explanation.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Lucy (2014)

Big fan of JLB, and hoping for awesomeness, but just couldn't get past how the premise was treated. ie, Lucy ingests a drug that enables her to use 100% of her brain. Love that premise. However, I would rather see her use some real smarts than acquire mystical superhero powers --psychokinesis, mind-melding, and matter-transformation. But alas the audience wants to see Scarlett Johanssen kick some everlovin' badguy ass. So that's what we get.

Didn't hate it. Just didn't love it.

Nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. Why they changed location from London to NYC is beyond me as it did nothing for the story. Not bad. I finished it. Emily Blunt very good in her role. Would never want to see it again.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Tried this again last night and no matter how many times I try I cant last longer than 15 minutes. My husband doesnt mind it but much prefered LotR.
Seriously? For me Hobbit and The LoTR are unity.

Lucy (2014)

Big fan of JLB, and hoping for awesomeness, but just couldn't get past how the premise was treated. ie, Lucy ingests a drug that enables her to use 100% of her brain. Love that premise. However, I would rather see her use some real smarts than acquire mystical superhero powers --psychokinesis, mind-melding, and matter-transformation. But alas the audience wants to see Scarlett Johanssen kick some everlovin' badguy ass. So that's what we get.

I remember the scene with drug-addicted man, who was uttarly beyond the reality, until they put in front of him some drugs. It called him back and he sucked it hurriedly.Since I've seen that moment, it will be in the back of my head.

Nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. Why they changed location from London to NYC is beyond me as it did nothing for the story. Not bad. I finished it. Emily Blunt very good in her role. Would never want to see it again.
I haven't seen the movie, but I've read a book. Disaster!

Beyond the moment of dance, everything was for me completely average. I' ve seen this movie twice and I had the same feeling every time.

Welcome to the human race...
Having a bit of trouble coming up with these since there I either don't expect to love a lot of movies or just don't consider "didn't love it" to be a precise enough piece of criteria to actually mean anything, but I'll try (note: my actual opinions of these films vary quite wildly)...

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - I tend to like Shane Black's work but I do find it weird how this is often considered his best film yet I struggle to get into it. It feels like it has issues getting the tone right between the sharp-tongued buddy comedy and the bleakly cynical Hollywood detective story in a way that hasn't really plagued any of Black's other work (and the meta humour doesn't work for me).

Return of the Living Dead - probably the ultimate "movie I should love but don't", now that I think about it. An '80s punk-rock zombie comedy ticks so many of my boxes in theory, but apart from a banging theme song, some rather decent practical effects, and a weirdly affecting treatment of death, it's just frustratingly short on laughs or thrills or anything. For this to get held up as the premiere '80s zom-com over the likes of Night of the Creeps or Demoni or Re-Animator is just plain wrong.

The Hunger - more '80s horror genre stuff that I wanted to get into but just...couldn't.

Public Enemies - Michael Mann doing a period gangster piece should've been good, but it felt like a bore (and the HD camerawork stood out like a sore thumb).

Face/Off - again, how has a goofy high-concept marriage of John Woo a ham-off between Travolta and Cage not done more to earn my appreciation?

The Fly - probably due for a re-watch but I remember this feeling weirdly safe compared to some of Cronenberg's other works.

Violent Cop - think this was the first Kitano-directed movie I saw (after coming off seeing him in Battle Royale) so it was real jump in the deep end considering how understated and nihilistic his movies tend to be. I think I'd like it more now, though, but I haven't had a chance to re-watch.

King of New York - I was always going to get too hyped at the prospect of Christopher Walken playing a ruthless crime lord trying and failing to go straight, but even so...zzz.

That'll do for starters...

I haven't seen the movie, but I've read a book. Disaster!
I thought the book was quite enjoyable I enjoyed the "Britishness" of it since I've lived in America for decades. Then they change the location of the movie to NYC.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Seriously? For me Hobbit and The LoTR are unity.
Yes seriously. I think Jackson has lost the plot. If you love the hobbit trollogy that's great.

I agree with you there. I read the book and expected the movie to be a lot better.

When disappointing movies come to mind, Battle Royale almost always comes up. I saw, and heard nothing but praise for years, and years, and when I finally watched it, I thought it was boring as hell.

I thought the book was quite enjoyable I enjoyed the "Britishness" of it since I've lived in America for decades. Then they change the location of the movie to NYC.
Ha haLet's just say it isn't our top 1.

I think a movie that really disapponted me is Fight Club, I found it so boring!
Same here. Fight Club was a huge let down.

The two that come to mind that I thought I'd love judging by the trailers but after I saw them it felt literally like a kick to the nuts... Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and X-Men The Last Stand. Those movies STILL hurt...

Welcome to the human race...
Another big one I forgot - Project A 2. I like Jackie Chan, the first Project A is one of my favourite Chan movies, and there's a consensus that the sequel is one of his best works - and yet I find it boring.

Lucy (2014)

That's definitely on my list of the most disappointing films. When the trailer came out I was stoked. The premise sounded great and it looked really promising. I, in no way, anticipated it to go so horribly wrong and in such a short amount of time.

That's definitely on my list of the most disappointing films. When the trailer came out I was stoked. The premise sounded great and it looked really promising. I, in no way, anticipated it to go so horribly wrong and in such a short amount of time.
Yeah, it was okay. Can hardly even remember what it was about.

LOVED this one. So amazingly weird.

Stranger Than Paradise most recently. Love Dead Man and Ghost Dog from Jarmusch and this looked right up my alley. Some parts were good and i get what it was going for, mostly i found it really dull though and tough to sit through. A shame, still interested in more from Jarmusch though of course.