The Film Noir Years Quiz.

Tools    

Self explanatory new quiz discussing any subject on the popular genre.
First question.

Name the British born character actor who formed part of a strong ensemble in a series of film noirs.

No. but good guess. Hint. He did not make his first pitcture until he was 62. Then in the proceeding 8 years he made 24 films.. mostly popular film noir.

I suppose Nigel Bruce is right out. On the other hand, for the sake of argument, would The Thin Man series count as noir?
The Thin Man with William Powell? Not sure. Not dark enuff.

The ensemble I alluded to earlier included two of Hollwood royalty and a pint sized Austrian/Hungarian.. My actor is an oversized man with a cultured English accent. Never heard him play anything other than an Englishman. He could well have done as I have not seen all his movies but working on it..

I assume the short guy would be Peter Lorre, but unfortunately I don't know any series he was in. Did some great stuff though: Casablanca, The Raven, Arsenic and Old Lace . . .

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I assume the short guy would be Peter Lorre, but unfortunately I don't know any series he was in. Did some great stuff though: Casablanca, The Raven, Arsenic and Old Lace . . .

Peter Lorre was in the "Mr. Moto" movies.

Peter Lorre. He was in a series of film noirs (or is it films noir?) with the big man and two of Hollywoods true box office stars. At least one was.

If you have seen any of Bogarts film noir you have seen this man. Sydney Greenstreet. I really saw you getting it. Thanks anyway for kicking off the new quiz mate.

Some of their films. Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, Passage to Marseille,

Just looked him up . I do remember him as the rival bar owner who wanted to buy out Rick's Place, and I see he was in The Maltese Falcon, which I haven't seen for more years than I care to admit. Good question!

More than a dozen actors have portrayed Philip Marlowe on screen. Name at least 3 of them.

Answer

Which film noir was based on a short story written by Ernest Hemingway?

Answer

Name the respective film noirs in which these characters belong.

1) J.J. Hunsecker
2) J.J. Gittes
3) Norma Desmond

Answer

Did Hemingway write The Third Man?
Nope! I've included the answers, but if you'd like a hint, you might confuse the title of this movie with one or two of Stanley Kubrick's.