Musical Artist Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
La Bamba (Luis Valdez, 1987)
Nominated by Citizen Rules
With the Buddy Holly Story, all we need is a lil documentary on The Big Bopper and we pretty much got this lil airplane ride covered.
That thought crossed my mind about The Big Bopper, too. Years ago I'd heard that they were going to make a movie about him, also, but I don't know whatever happened to that idea. I assume it never happened because I never heard about it again. Unless someone else knows that it actually was filmed? It would be an interesting addition to watch with the other two films.

But speaking of these guys, I picked The Buddy Holly Story up from the library today. I will be watching that within the next few days and I can officially get this HoF started.

I still can't believe that this will be my first time ever seeing that film. If anyone remembers what I'd written in the second Getting To Know You Song Tournament, then you should, too, be surprised that this is going to be my first viewing of The Buddy Holly Story.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I think we talked about The Jazz Singer before. I think you told me about it and that's why I watched it. I expect I will like it on a rewatch, it told a heart felt story that I could relate to.
I was a so-so fan of Neil Diamond and then a SERIOUS fan of Neil Diamond songs after seeing this when it came out.
This is one of countless rewatches I'm pretty excited about watching.

And THANKS @Clazor for the link for Buddy Holly on youtube. VERY nice!

@SilentVamp I remember there being talk about a Big Bopper movie and talk only. That would be a rather cool movie to see. Really like his music; especially "Lil Red Riding Hood".

@edarsenal I really am surprised that they haven't come up with a film by now. I would like to think there is enough interest out there to tell his story, too. I've always quite liked Pink Petticoats.

I was so tempted to join this one too but am quite busy lately. Great nominations! I would most probably nominate Bird. I love jazz.

I was so tempted to join this one too but am quite busy lately. Great nominations! I would most probably nominate Bird. I love jazz.
Bird...would have been a fine nom. I've never seen it but really want to.

Bird...would have been a fine nom. I've never seen it but really want to.
I wonder if there are some good movies about John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk etc. I saw movies about Ray Charles and James Brown. I liked them.

Well, if this HoF ends up popular enough, maybe there can be another one sometime in the future. So you should hold on to that nomination and you could join then. And I would make sure you were the one that got to have it, too.

Truth be told, Bird was another one that I forgot.
I wonder if there are some good movies about John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk etc. I saw movies about Ray Charles and James Brown. I liked them.
And I forgot about Get On Up. This is why there needs to be another Musical Artist HoF! Just because there are so many more movies out there with this theme that need to be seen!

There is a Miles Davis film:

I don't know about a Coltrane film, but I think they were going to make a documentary about him. And there is the Thelonius Monk documentary Straight, No Chaser.

Well, if this HoF ends up popular enough, maybe there can be another one sometime in the future....

following that line of music, I was considering The Lady Sings The Blues about Billie Holliday.
Another interesting one that I haven't seen.

Does anyone need help obtaining The Idolmaker? I found it, but it isn't an ideal way to watch it, but I don't care. I just want to make sure I get a chance to see it. PM me if you are interested in it.

I could get it from the library but only on VHS (all these HoF's do is make me realize that I REALLY NEED to get a new VCR!!).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Another interesting one that I haven't seen.
It was somewhere in the mid 90's when I was seriously getting into Billie Holliday.
Such a sad story. Amazing, soulful singer.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Does anyone need help obtaining The Idolmaker? I found it, but it isn't an ideal way to watch it, but I don't care. I just want to make sure I get a chance to see it. PM me if you are interested in it.

I could get it from the library but only on VHS (all these HoF's do is make me realize that I REALLY NEED to get a new VCR!!).

I'm sorry about the problem finding The Idolmaker. It never occurred to me that it might be hard to find. I have it on DVD, and I had it on VHS before that, so I didn't even think to go looking for a streaming version of it because I just thought it was easily accessible.

Would it be easier for everyone if I just change my nom? I can change it to the movie Thunder Alley (1985), which might not be available on DVD, but it's on YouTube. Do either of these videos work outside of the U.S.? The quality isn't great because they're from old VHS rips, but at least the movie is easy to find. (If that's still a problem, I can pick a different movie, but we're getting closer to it being a country music movie. )

Thunder Alley (1985) - Version 1:

Thunder Alley (1985) - Version 2:

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I have a high quality link for The Idolmaker it worked great for me. I will PM it to Vamp and anyone else who needs it.

Thanks! That's great.

My offer to change my nom still stands if anyone has a problem finding it, but if the link works, and everyone can use it, that would be awesome.

Nice. Not enough jazz fans here. At one point, I tried seeing if there was interest in a jazz song tournament, and of the few replies there were they consisted of people telling me they don't like jazz and weren't interested.

Shame on you, MoFo.

By the way, that Miles Ahead movie is no good. Unfortunately.

Nice. Not enough jazz fans here. At one point, I tried seeing if there was interest in a jazz song tournament, and of the few replies there were they consisted of people telling me they don't like jazz and weren't interested.

Shame on you, MoFo.

By the way, that Miles Ahead movie is no good. Unfortunately.
Just bought 1976 re-release, near mint, McCoy Tyner, Nights of Ballads & Blues

Yeah, as Vamp said, Miles Ahead. Half of it is great. The more standard biopic fare that's in it? Not so much. But, I'd say it's worth checking out for the good stuff alone.

Yeah, as Vamp said, Miles Ahead. Half of it is great. The more standard biopic fare that's in it? Not so much. But, I'd say it's worth checking out for the good stuff alone.
Exactly like you said. I went to watch it right away this morning. There is some good stuff in it but writers mostly picked the worst of him and made him look like a complete evil. They shouldn't do that. What kind of message that gives you?

Would it be easier for everyone if I just change my nom? I can change it to the movie Thunder Alley (1985)
I think that link will be fine that CR has for The Idolmaker. So I think it is safe to say we can stick with that one for now.

But it is still good to know there is a back-up just in case.