Jeff Costello's film diary

→ in
Tools    

Sunset Boulevard (1950) - Billy Wilder

As soon as the masterfully shot opening scene appeared on the screen, I knew this was going to be a special film. At the beggining of the film, we are shown a dead body floating in the swimming pool, while the flashes from camera reporters and police officers, can be seen in the water's reflection. And instantly the film narrator establishes himself, as the deceased and starts to recollect the events that led to his death in a series of flashbacks.

The main character, Joe Gillis is a down on his luck screenwriter, who is just about to have his car confiscated by a couple of men, for being down on his payings. After having his screen rejected by a Paramount producer and a couple of failed leases, he is seen by the two men. And during the car-chase, Joe turns to a driveway of a seemingly deserted mansion, in order to escape them. Soonly it is discovered that the mansion is owned by an ex silent film star Norma Desmond and that's where there gripping relationship beggins.

Probably the most impressive aspect of Sunset Boulevard was its rich and compelling script, which is a work by Billy Wilder and his long term collaborator Charles Brackett. Both main characters were multi-layered and extremely developed with deep psychological analysis. And both William Holden and Gloria Swanson played their complex roles to perfection. Unlike Fred MacMurray in Double Indemnity, William Holden really added depth to his pitiful character, while playing the role of a passive and exploitative middle aged man, who always takes path of a lower resistance. In contrast to his subtle acting, Gloria Swanson really put on a show, with her fierce and overacted performance, which in this case was neccessary for the role. At first she is introduced as snobish, narcissistic and delusional lady, but soon we learn that she is much more than that, as her possessive love towards Joe starts to unravel and her wish for recognition and feeling wanted becomes apparent. I really liked how their one-sided relationship was played by both actors. Most evidently seen during their dance scene, where Holden was clearly uncomforable and visibly static. Yet, reluctant Joe decides to remain with Norma, because of her unstability and suicide threats. That's where Joe's passiveness is especially amplified and it is at the same time reccuring theme throughout the film, which leads to his downfall. Instead of handing his car to the prosecutors, he decides to hide to behind the factory. Instead of laying the heavy truth on Norma at the beggining, he waits until her mental ilness is prevailed. And instead of leaving with Betty, he once again takes the easy path with sending her home, instead of dealing with consequences with his friend Artie. His weak-minded persona ,combined with his self-loathing is what constantly results in him making bad decisions. But in the end neither his enlightening nor escape won't help him. His conflicting and tragic character was definitely Wilder's mastepiece.

I also find the character of Max very intriguing and the possible indication, that he was Norma's puppeteer and the possible reason for Norma's illness. I wish we find out more about his relationship with Norma and how exactly did he become her submissive servant and what led to the end of their marriage.

Another aspect which I loved was the interior of Norma's mansion, which had sort of a baroque design with loads of antique forniture. It added a whole dose of campy atmosphere, especially the scene where Max plays the organs, which looked like something out of Corman films. Aswell as the sense of isolation and a nice reference to actress Gloria Swanson's lavish lifestyle in real life.

Speaking of references, the entire film was filled with mentions of an "Old Hollywood aristocracy", like Darryl F Zanuck, Alan Ladd and Cecile De Mille, who even had a noticable cameo in the film.

Sunset Boulevard had tons of memorable and beautifully shot scenes. The beauty of it was, that it didn't rely on an unexpected twists , to be invoving. But an impeccable script, which produced some of the most iconic lines in film's history. Aswell as the delicate character study and the moody and morbid atmosphere.

Therefore ,Sunset Boulevard will join "Viridiana" as the second film I rated with perfect five popcorn bags this year.

Rating:

Witness for Prosecution (1957) - Billy Wilder

Brief synopsis: An aging lawyer (Charles Laughton) decides to represent seemingly innocent man (Tyrone Power), who is charged for murder.

Witness for Prosecution is a very cleverly written court-room drama, with some witty dialogue. But despite having quite a serious theme, comedic elements were established early in the beggining. Mainly manifested through Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchaster's banter, who were in fact a married couple in real life. Their interactions were quite funny and they understandibly had very good chemistry. However I felt that comedic elements were kind of a double edged sword, as I couldn't really take the story too seriously because of it.

Charles Laughton was an absolute menace in this film! With his charismatic screen presence and ability to be both goofy and authoritative, he simply outshined everyone who appeared with him on the screen.

Despite not possessing his dashingly good looks from 40's anymore, Tyrone Power's charm still remained untouched, and he was very believable in portraying his seemingly good-natured and desperate character, eventough he had occasional slips of overacting. Still I thought he was a very odd choice for the role, as I got the impression that his character was supposed to be a bit younger and British.

Marlene Dietrich had a similar problem as Power with overacting in my opinion, most notably visible in the "Damn You!! " scene. However I was impressed with her versitality, and she was very convincing as Power's cold-hearted wife.

Like I mentioned the script was very cleverly written, with many plot twists. And I was always left guessing what will happen next. Some of them really took away from the story's realism though, but it was still a very entertaining watch. Eventough I kind of sensed the main twist, I was still in awe, during the final scene. The complete change in main characters persona's at the end, which were build up throughout an entire film, was really jaw-dropping.

Rating:
-

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
truly amazing selection of films that you choose to review. Really enjoyed this last list of Wilder films. A great mix of technical description and the emotional impact that the films deliver.
I still need to see Witness For the Prosecution. Will you be moving on to another director/genre or is there any other Wilders to come?

truly amazing selection of films that you choose to review. Really enjoyed this last list of Wilder films. A great mix of technical description and the emotional impact that the films deliver.
I still need to see Witness For the Prosecution. Will you be moving on to another director/genre or is there any other Wilders to come?
Thanks Ed ! I'm really glad you've enjoyed the reviews.

My film choices will probably vary, considering the running HoF. But I definitely plan to watch&review some of Wilder's comedies like "Sabrina", "The Apartment" and "One,Two,Three".

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
curious to see what you think of the comedies and I like that you went "off the main road" in regards to your comedic choices.
I recently saw his very first movie; The Major and the Minor that was rather enjoyable.
I'll try to keep an eye out and pop in when I can.

Diary of a Country Priest (1951) - Robert Bresson

This was perhaps one of the dreariest pieces of cinema I've ever encountered and honestly one of the most difficult films for me to digest. I find it so challenging, that I had to split it in two days, something I almost never do.

Diary of a Country Priest was extremelly well made film, with a very reflexive and intelligent dialogue and an intriguing exploration of loneliness and crisis of faith, told through a story of a young priest, who deals with the animosity of his village, while dealing with fatal health problems. The story itself it tragic, for the priest's strong willingness to make a difference, only to be rejected by his district and debunked by his fellow mentors.

Claude Laydu delievered a truly extraordinary performance in his film debut ! He was masterful in conveying the emotions his character needed and very haunting with his sheer presence. With his fragile stature, adolescent face and candid eyes, which radiated misery he made his performance into one that will definitely stay with me for a long time.

However, I find the amount of pain and suffering his character endured a little overwhelming. Probably the most miserable film character I've ever seen, and at times it seemed like he was created, only to be tortured throughout the film. Honestly this amount of poignance was kind of unimaginable to me and honestly I don't think I was really ready for it.

Still I definitely appricated this film and Bresson's uncompromisingly pesimistic vision, manifested through one of the most unique and gloomy ambients created. For viewers that are fascinated by films with religious thematics, this should be an intriguing watch.

Rating:
-

glad you like it Jeff. I love Bresson's films:
L'argent
The Devil, Probably
Lancelot of the Lake
Four Nights of a Dreamer
A Gentle Woman
Mouchette
Au Hasard Balthazar
The Trial of Joan of Arc
Pickpocket
A Man Escaped
Diary of a Country Priest

glad you like it Jeff. I love Bresson's films:
L'argent
The Devil, Probably
Lancelot of the Lake
Four Nights of a Dreamer
A Gentle Woman
Mouchette
Au Hasard Balthazar
The Trial of Joan of Arc
Pickpocket
A Man Escaped
Diary of a Country Priest
Thanks Nestorio! I will likely watch Pickpocket next.

#1 Citizen Kane (1941) - Orson Welles

In order to prepare for the upcoming 40's countdown, I've decided to start with Welles's classic. However despite fairly enjoying it, the film lacked that "wow factor" for me, which I imagine it has on most viewers to gather such enormous reputation.

First of all, I want to acknowledge, how impressive is that Welles directed, co-wrote, produced at starred in this film, while being only 25 years old. I was especially suprised how convincingly he managed to portray a 60-year old man, while being so young. He was really a commanding screen presence. The problem for me was, that I had no sympathy for Kane's character which ultimately made it hard for me to pity him in the end or even care about his life. So to be quite frank, the film kind of varied into a boring spectrum for me at times, as I just couldn't really care that much about Kane's self-centered, hypocritical and flamboyant persona.

To me personally, Citizen Kane's greatest accomplisment was its gorgeous cinematography, which really left me in awe. Cinematographer Gregg Toland really outdid himself with the fascinating multi-angled shots and masterful change of shadow and light. Especially intriguing, were innovative low-angled shots, which were used in quite a few scenes.

I guess my main objection is, I couldn't really connect nor care for any of the characters. Citizen Kane striked me as a cold and aloof film, I didn't really feel any warmth or emotions from the characters. Perhaps this was made in order to amlify Kane's superficial agendas and inability to truly love anyone. Hence the cold interior and lifeless settings ,as a symbol of his distant coldness.

Despite struggling with the main premise, I quite liked the symbolics at the end. And eventough Citizen Kane didn't really warranted its reputation to me, I have to say that this is a near perfect film from a technical standpoint. Definitely a great accomplishment in cinematography, make-up, special effects and settings. Maybe it'll appeal to me more in the future.

Rating:

#2 I Walked with a Zombie (1943) - Jacques Tourneur

Don't let the cheesy title fool you, this is actually a very solid supernatural horror flick. Also directed by the same man, who directed Out of the Past (1947). It tells a story of a young Canadian nurse, who is sent to a Carribean island to care for a wife of a sugar plantation owner. The wife appears to be in some sort of catathonic state, which culminated under suspicious circumstances." I Walked with a Zombie" wasn't scary or frightening per se, rather than moody and enchanting, with a really hypnotic atmosphere. It was really subtle and mysterious throughout its course and I especially liked the chilling scenes of natives practicing voodoo. I also appreciated how film didn't rely on jump scares at all, instead it let the story and reclusive location of an island to set a creepy and trancelike ambient.

With only being 68 minutes long, this is a rather nice atmospheric and lyrical horror, with some suprisingly good cinematography for its time and budget.

Rating:

Skammen aka Shame (1968) - Ingmar Bergman

Truly an electrifying and intense film from start to finish, with mesmerizing performances from Liv Ulmann and Max Von Sydow. Also uncompromising in depicting the emotional destruction of war, shown through a single marital relationship. Pefect from a technical standpoint aswell and once again impressive work by a cinematographer Sven Nykvist. I think this might be my new favourite Bergman and a strong contender for my own personal top 10. Once I rewatch it, I'd like to review it more minutely. Mastepiece !

Rating:

I agree with you completely on Citizen Kane, and while I didn't quite love Shame as much as you, it's one of my favorites from director Bergman.

Not reading your Zombie review yet; I'm putting it on now as you know.

#2 I Walked with a Zombie (1943) - Jacques Tourneur

Don't let the cheesy title fool you, this is actually a very solid supernatural horror flick. Also directed by the same man, who directed Out of the Past (1947). It tells a story of a young Canadian nurse, who is sent to a Carribean island to care for a wife of a sugar plantation owner. The wife appears to be in some sort of catathonic state, which culminated under suspicious circumstances." I Walked with a Zombie" wasn't scary or frightening per se, rather than moody and enchanting, with a really hypnotic atmosphere. It was really subtle and mysterious throughout its course and I especially liked the chilling scenes of natives practicing voodoo. I also appreciated how film didn't rely on jump scares at all, instead it let the story and reclusive location of an island to set a creepy and trancelike ambient.

With only being 68 minutes long, this is a rather nice atmospheric and lyrical horror, with some suprisingly good cinematography for its time and budget.
I sound like a broken record whenever someone mentions a Val Lewton production, but if you like that, you should look into Val Lewton's credits. He was the producer behind many very good and... maybe somewhat more sophisticated (?) horror films of the time. My personal favorite is The Body Snatcher. Bedlam and Cat People are cool too.

EDIT:
I agree on IWWAZ. I think it's a little boring, but it's all about atmo. I guess that's sort of what I meant by Lewton's 'sophistication.' I wish that zombies were still more inherently connected to voodoo.

I sound like a broken record whenever someone mentions a Val Lewton production, but if you like that, you should look into Val Lewton's credits. He was the producer behind many very good and... maybe somewhat more sophisticated (?) horror films of the time. My personal favorite is The Body Snatcher. Bedlam and Cat People are cool too.

EDIT:
I agree on IWWAZ. I think it's a little boring, but it's all about atmo. I guess that's sort of what I meant by Lewton's 'sophistication.' I wish that zombies were still more inherently connected to voodoo.
Thanks! I already have Cat People on my watchlist. Will probably add "The Body Snatcher" as well !

#3 The Uninvited (1944) - Lewis Allen

Well, this wasn't quite what I expected, but it was nonetheless still pretty good. I don't know why, but I thought this would be a classic campy ghost horror, but instead it turned out to be more of a fantasy romance. After first 30 minutes, I completely forgot this was suppose to be a horror, because of its lightheartedness and comicality, and afterwards I was able to enjoy it more, when I realised what kind of film this would be. The cast was good and had nice chemistry, especially Ray Milland and Gail Russell. I quite enjoyed the atmospheric setting of the haunted house by the sea, as it reminded a lot of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", which is one of my favourite films. I only wished there was a bit more suspensful and gripping moments, but that could be due to the expectations I had previously. Still a very enjoyable and charming flick !

Rating:
-

#4 And Then There Were None (1945) - Rene Clair

I was really in the mood for some crime mystery flick yesterday. Looking through my 40's list, I realized this was actually Agatha Christie's adaptation and I was really intrigued with the film's plotline. However film turned out to be a pretty big dissapointment. I was mostly bored throughout its everlasting 96 minutes. The film failed to be engaging and gritty. And there was an obvious lack of tense atmosphere and charismatic characters. I was waiting at least for some mind-blowing twist, which ultimately came in the end, but I find it to be pretty bland and messy. It's a shame, this wasn't more sharply executed, because I had high hopes for it.

Rating:

#3 The Uninvited (1944) - Lewis Allen

Well, this wasn't quite what I expected, but it was nonetheless still pretty good. I don't know why, but I thought this would be a classic campy ghost horror, but instead it turned out to be more of a fantasy romance. After first 30 minutes, I completely forgot this was suppose to be a horror, because of its lightheartedness and comicality, and afterwards I was able to enjoy it more, when I realised what kind of film this would be. The cast was good and had nice chemistry, especially Ray Milland and Gail Russell. I quite enjoyed the atmospheric setting of the haunted house by the sea, as it reminded a lot of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", which is one of my favourite films. I only wished there was a bit more suspensful and gripping moments, but that could be due to the expectations I had previously. Still a very enjoyable and charming flick !

Rating:
-
Is this movie in any way related to the much more recent "Uninvited" starring David Strathairn and Elizabeth Banks ?