Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

I wanted to make this thread because of the title. But I also want to start fresh with the new year!

Jackie -

(Pablo Larraín, 2016)

[NEW WATCH]

A low-key character study that at times felt almost like a Malick-y tone poem, I guess you could call this one a “character poem,” and it’s by far the strangest biopic I’ve ever seen. But I loved it. From Mica Levi’s phenomenal score (easily my fave up and coming composer, and I’m a fan of her “experimental pop” group Micachu and the Shapes, too! You’d never think that was the chick would composed Under the Skin and this) to what is, for my money, Portman’s best performance ever (which will surely perplex some viewers but put me at ease from the start), I thought Jackie was extraordinary. And I think people going into it expecting a typical biopic will be disappointed. It’s anything but, to where I hesitate to even call it one.

Can’t figure out where it fits into my top three of 2016, but it could be #1.

Great, I love a good adventure!

Never heard of Jackie before, and I can't say it interests me much. I'm sure my wife would want to see it though, so I put it on my watchlist.

Can't wait for the next adventure!

It's very different from what you might be expecting (which is probably a straight biopic). Not sure if that'll be a good thing or a bad thing for you.

I always felt like my taste in cinema was just different from others, but I'm starting to think I just have horrible taste. I always fall in love with movies other people don't like or even hate. Makes me feel bad.

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers -
+
(Michael A. Simpson, 1988)

[NEW WATCH]

Entertaining and odd, but not very good and I definitely don't like it nearly as much as the wonderful first film. It doesn't have the same charm. I think my main criticism about it is Angela. In the first she's a great character, here she is absolutely annoying to a frustrating degree. My favorite thing about it was the kill scenes, they were pretty fascinating in a weird, humorous way. I think this film would have benefited from not being a sequel to Sleepaway Camp, since it's a bit different.

Overall, a decent and fun watch. Going to have to see the third one now.

I always felt like my taste in cinema was just different from others, but I'm starting to think I just have horrible taste. I always fall in love with movies other people don't like or even hate. Makes me feel bad.
There ain't no such thing as bad taste. It's your taste, your opinion.

If I was forced to say you had bad taste, at least I would call you a proper cinephile but with bad taste. Seriously, at least you don't love the entire Transformers franchise or the Twilight saga, like it's the case with the mainstream monotone audience. You are at least diverse and those weird and/or obscure movies you like, at least often comes from small subgenres or something like that, which makes your taste and preferences WAY more interesting, fascinating and admirable, more than downright bad.

You have awesome taste, Swan! I always look forward to your thoughts, especially when you just speak from the heart. Then you sound way more honest and genuine than many forum members on here.

Keep this thread interesting and don't ever change what you watch and what you like! Because I read it for a reason... I'm sure others feel the same.

Annabelle -

(John R. Leonetti, 2014)

[NEW WATCH]

Awful. I'm not a fan of these Conjuring movies anyway, but this one really takes the cake in stupidity.

Annabelle -

(John R. Leonetti, 2014)

[NEW WATCH]

Awful. I'm not a fan of these Conjuring movies anyway, but this one really takes the cake in stupidity.
this movie is trash... you're right but I don't know why you don't like The Conjuring movies they are awesome

Annabelle is just a stupid cash grab off of the success of The Conjuring. The latter only works because of James Wan. That became pretty clear to me when I saw the third Insidious, which was not directed by Wan. What a jumpscare bore of stupidity.

I have no interest in ever watching Annabelle, that's for sure.

this movie is trash... you're right but I don't know why you don't like The Conjuring movies they are awesome
Well I haven't seen the second one (which I will soon) but my memory of the first it that is was too focused on being scary that it came off forced and a bit silly. It's also a definite case of a film where the hype kind of killed it for me. I just think it's a bit overrated, even if there might be a decent flick there. I may uncover that "decent flick" soon, though, as I am still meaning to give it another shot.

Well I haven't seen the second one (which I will soon) but my memory of the first it that is was too focused on being scary that it came off forced and a bit silly. It's also a definite case of a film where the hype kind of killed it for me. I just think it's a bit overrated, even if there might be a decent flick there. I may uncover that "decent flick" soon, though, as I am still meaning to give it another shot.
I think you will like the sequel... I have a good feeling

Despite of feeling like "a horror trying to do drama" more than actually being a proper drama, it still sets up a far better and more elaborate story and backstory to the film. The Conjuring 2 is probably better than the first, since it's less about a constantly building scare and more about a constantly building story, which actually does try to build characters, arcs and proper weight within the story.

Don't get too hyped up, but I do think there is more to come after in the sequel.

Sweet, I'll have to get to it. I have to admit my expectations are low, as I'm not a big Wan fan. But maybe this will convert me.

While it does have the better, deeper story, it still feels like Wan trying to make his horror magnum opus. So you'll get full blown Wan in a lot of places. But alas, your expectations are low, so that's a good thing.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
While it does have the better, deeper story, it still feels like Wan trying to make his horror magnum opus. So you'll get full blown Wan in a lot of places. But alas, your expectations are low, so that's a good thing.
Absolutely loved Conjuring 2. I think he succeeded at making his horror magnum opus, frankly.

The Conjuring -
+
(James Wan, 2013)

[REWATCH]

I have to eat my words. I was completely wrong.

I think it was the hype that killed it for me. The first time I saw it, in theaters, was a bit underwhelming (another case for me where the rewatch ends up being a huge step up from the first watch). And then people just kept stacking on praise, which to say the least made me resent it.

I said the film tries too hard to be scary that it comes off forced, so color me stunned when I watch it again only to find just how at ease Wan seems to be in crafting the creepy factor, which is unbelievably effective. I also love the chemistry of the cast, particularly Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga (an actress I was already a fan of). I love how for most of this it’s almost a horror-hangout movie, and the climactic third act still doesn’t lose the artistry despite the magnitude of the spirits being amplified.

It’s funny when people talk about desensitization for me, because I watch a lot of horror movies but don’t feel desensitized. I think I was when I was a teenager, and maybe that contributed to this movie not working then, but now gore and atmosphere both tend to be very effective for me. I cringe at gore, and atmosphere gets under my skin like it’s supposed to, and I love both experiences! So I don’t think desensitization is just, for example, watching a lot of gory horror movies to where it doesn’t affect you. I’m a case study for that not being it. I don’t know why people get desensitized, but I don’t consider myself one of them, and I’m very happy about that.

The film's not entirely effective. One of two scares don’t work, but that’s minute compared to how many just did for me. Alas, in the pantheon of modern mainstream horror this flick is a marvel. Some of you in this thread were talking about Wan’s magnum opus. I haven’t seen Insidious Part 2 or The Conjuring 2, but from what I have seen, I wouldn’t feel hesitant giving this film that label.

Funny too how I feel like I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum now. Used to be a naysayer, thinking this film was vastly overrated, but looking at my friends ratings on Letterboxd, I feel the opposite about it. I almost wonder if I’m underrating it with the rating I am giving it. Alas, ratings are relative, and mine is cautious because I want to live with love for this film for a bit.