The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Ikiru is one of two left that i haven't seen will get to it at some point.

I thought On The Waterfront had a strong chance at the top ten so a bit surprised to see it show up now, but it nearly made it anyway. A few years ago i really loved it, it would've had a good chance at my top ten but it went down a bit on a rewatch. Still like it a lot but i never voted for it, fine with its position though.

2. Alice in Wonderland
4. Duck Amuck
9. Forbidden Planet
10. Lady and the Tramp
11. Sleeping Beauty
12. Cinderella
13. Ikiru
14. Peter Pan

I had Ikiru at #7. It's such a beautifully made movie. I like On the Waterfront more than I do any other Brando movie from the 50s, but it was never up for consideration. I've got nine more from my list coming.

My List:

3. The 400 Blows (#17)
6. Pickup on South Street (#72)
7. Ikiru (#16)
8. Mon Oncle (#67)
11. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#37)
12. Wages of Fear (#50)
13. From Here to Eternity (#76)
16. Stalag 17 (#48)
18. La Strada (#41)
19. The Killing (#52)
21. Room at the Top (#73)
23. Les Diaboliques (#57)
24. Rio Bravo (#22)

Ikiru was my #8, very glad it made a respectable position in the end though naturally I wish it was just that little bit higher..
On The Waterfront was my #7 - quite surprised it's not in the top ten if I'm honest.

That makes 15 of mine shown now - 2691 pts in total.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Streetcar was the only one of the last six on my list. That makes nine so far. I originally guessed I'd have 15 in the Top 100, but I'll actually have 18. I'm going to start listing my crap choices, one at a time.
Guys and Dolls (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1955)

Frank Loesser wrote the music for Guys and Dolls, and it's his most memorable collection of songs. (He also wrote the music for How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Hans Christian Andersen and Where's Charley?.) Joseph L. Mankiewicz adapted the film version and chose to emphasize the theatricality of the show by filming it entirely on soundstages. At first, this may prove a bit distracting, but after awhile, it turns out to be a good idea because it plainly tells you that you're watching a Broadway-based musical, so don't worry about people singing. After all, everybody knows it's a musical, right? The basic Damon Runyon plot of gamblers getting mixed up with the Salvation Army, intertwined with a pair of romances, is solid, and it's also fun to hear the Runyon dialogue delivered by Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra. Runyon's characters have a specific way of speaking which is both funny and unique.

Much has been made that the two leads can't sing, but I actually enjoy (a lot) Brando's "Luck Be a Lady" and Jean Simmons' "If I Were a Bell". Frank Sinatra has a big moment with "Adelaide" and Vivian Blaine does well with "Adelaide's Lament"; then the two get together for "Sue Me". I'm sure that everybody who ever sees this film remembers Stubby Kaye's "Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat" near the end of the film.

OK. I can probably go into more detail, but I think I'm going overboard here anyway. The thing is that I have never had a problem with musicals. Growing up, they were always on the TV, and I lapped them up the same way I did my adventures, sci-fis, horrors, westerns. It never occurred to me that people singing on screen was anything stranger than people getting attacked by monsters from outer space. I find it weirder that people enjoy watching torture and dismemberment but think something's screwy when somebody sings and dances down the street. But as they say, to each, his or her own.
My List
1. Alice in Wonderland (#27)
2. The Quiet Man (#51)
4. Room at the Top (#73)
8. The Caine Mutiny (#80)
14. People Will Talk (#88)
17 A Streetcar Named Desire (#19)
19. Night and Fog (#54)
21. Oklahoma! (#97)
23. Guys and Dolls (Did Not Place)
24. The Big Country (#66)

I wish I could've said, "On the Waterfront could've been a contender!" -for my list. But in fact, it was very much on my list. I had it at #13.

I have not seen Ikiru.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Don't forget the one pointers list this time
It's not forgotten. Just need a decent stop point to post them. Like once we get to top ten.

I think it's mainly because I'm disappointed that I lost what I did for the one pointers lists and didn't have adequate time to recreate what I wanted. Therefore it won't be as visually appealing (which is my definite downfall with this countdown)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Number one is Vertigo.

Thanks.

EDIT: Or is it 12 Angry Men? Either one of this.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Nine of the top sixteen will be films from my list. On the Waterfront narrowly missed out on my list - in fact, I thought it was on my list at one point.

My list so far, with predictions:
1. Top 10
2. Tokyo Story (#21)
3. Top 5
4. The Man Who Knew Too Much (#47)
5. Top 5
6. Floating Weeds (#78)
7. Top 14
8. Won't make it
9. Tokyo Twilight (#91)
10. Won't make it
11. Won't make it
12. The Killing (#52)
13. Won't make it
14. Throne of Blood (#38)
15. Ikiru (#16)
16. Forbidden Planet (#55)
17. Top 14
18. The Day the Earth Stood Still (#36)
19. Top 10
20. Top 5
21. Rebel Without a Cause (#39)
22. Top 14
23. Won't make it
24. Won't make it
25. Probably a one-pointer

Number one is Vertigo.

Thanks.

EDIT: Or is it 12 Angry Men? Either one of this.
Most likely Vertigo, yeah, though it could also be Seven Samurai (I think Seven Samurai would place slightly higher than 12 Angry Men, anyhow).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not seen Ikiru though I did have Waterfront as #2.

Annnd, following Camo's final list -- bye bye maybes'

List:
#1 F'git about it
#2 On the Waterfront (15)
#3 Definitely
#4 Definitely
#5 Dammit, really? Not gonna show? What a gyp
#6 Harvey (31)
#7 Stalag 17 (48)
#8 Well, crap
#9 Definitely
#10 Definitely
#11 Definitely
#12 Night of the Hunter (25)
#13 Streetcar Named Desire (19)
#14 Peter Pan (59)
#15 Alice in Wonderland (27)
#16 another that shoulda, but ain't gonna
#17 I kinda figured, but, hey, whaddya gona do
#18 Witness for the Prosecution (24)
#19 Another that would have popped up right away or not at all
#20 Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda
#21 In A Lonely Place (33)
#22 Didn't expect it would show up any ole way
#23 An old favorite that got left in the dirt - boo hoo
#24 The Killing (52)
#25 STILL CONTINUE to have fingers crossed for 1 pointer category
Watched: 45/86

And by this it puts me at about 60% of my list on The List and it seems I've only watched a little over 50% of The 50's - that's not good