The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I hope Singin' in the Rain ends up in the top 10, I don't want to generalise too much but hopefully some of the older members who don't post as much as some other members included it high up on their list.

I think the top 7 you have Camo will all be in the top ten, then the six films from 8 to 13 will fight for the three remaining places.
Singing in the Rain definitey has a great shot. I agree with the 8-13 thing. I'm pretty surprised that Kurosawa has 3 in the top 16. Especially Ikiru, as i said i've not seen it it's just that i don't hear it talked about that often here, Not more than films like Rio Bravo and Streetcar at least. Not saying it is a bad thing of course just a bit surprising.

Concerning Ikiru, don't underestimate the power of the HOF here. As we get to less watched decades and genres it is obvious they play a large role. Which drives Mark crazy I am sure.

The 400 Blows was my 3

My list:

3 The 400 Blows #17
4 Ordet #46
5 Marty #100
8 Ace in the Hole #44
11 Wild Strawberries #23
12 Umberto D. #61
14 Touch of Evil #20
15 Sweet Smell Of Success #26
17 From Here To Eternity #76
18 Harvey #31
19 A Face in the Crowd #49
23 People Will Talk #88
24 Horror of Dracula #79
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Also i'm surprised Imitation of Life never made it. Not that i hear it talked about all of the time but i'm sure there's a few fans. I think i watched it when i was young but i don't remember it. Think it is my mums #1 film.

I didn't even know it was in a HOF.
2nd 50's one. I'm glad too. It made my list. By far my fave Kurosawa so far. Seven Samurai and Rashomon are good but I didn't love them. Those three and High And Low are what I have seen.

2nd 50's one. I'm glad too. It made my list. By far my fave Kurosawa so far. Seven Samurai and Rashomon are good but I didn't love them. Those three and High And Low are what I have seen.
Oh, cool. Don't think i checked that HOF much. Kurosawa, Scorsese and Hitchock are my favourite directors so far. Think i've seen something like 10-12 so far from him but not Ikiru. I want to, admittedly the cancer puts me off a bit. That's something i just can't deal with in media, almost didn't watch Breaking Bad because of it.

The Searchers was my 10th Film On My List and My Second Duke Film. I was very close too putting the Quiet Man on my list and kinda wish I had for the Fight Scene in it alone.

Oh, cool. Don't think i checked that HOF much. Kurosawa, Scorsese and Hitchock are my favourite directors so far. Think i've seen something like 10-12 so far from him but not Ikiru. I want to, admittedly the cancer puts me off a bit. That's something i just can't deal with in media, almost didn't watch Breaking Bad because of it.
Hmm, that's very interesting. I don't know whether to recommend it now or not. It's pretty emotionally devestating.

I'm going to watch it at some point. It is just something i usually avoid. Heard nothing but great things and it is from one of my favourite directors so i pretty much have to.

...Think i've seen something like 10-12 so far from him but not Ikiru. I want to, admittedly the cancer puts me off a bit. That's something i just can't deal with in media, almost didn't watch Breaking Bad because of it.
I can understand that...I had a hard time watching the diagnosis hospital scene in Ikiru. But after that short scene, I was fine with the rest of it...as it focuses on the positive that Ikiru does. I really liked it, and you know how squeamish I am with some subjects.

I'll take a stab at predicting the order of the remaining movies, which is definitely not based on what I hope the final order is. Except maybe Dial M for Murder, which I think is mid-level Hitchcock. I just don't get the crazy amount of love it gets. Otherwise I hope I'm very wrong with this prediction.

01.Vertigo
02.Seven Samurai
03.12 Angry Men
04.Rear Window
05.Paths of Glory
06.Sunset Blvd.
07.All About Eve
08.North By Northwest
09.Rashomon
10.On The Waterfront
11.Singing In The Rain
12.Ikiru
13.The Bridge On The River Kwai
14.The Seventh Seal
15.Some Like It Hot
16.Dial M For Murder

I copy and pasted all the movies from an old Cricket post then rearranged them, because i was blanking on which a few of them were. So blame him. Watch someone trace the Cricket post further back to me again

My list so far:

1. Will make it.
2. Touch of Evil (1958)
3. Will make it.
4. Floating Weeds (1959)
5. Will make it.
6. Will make it.
7. The Searchers (1956)
8. Will make it.
9. Rio Bravo (1959)
10. Some Came Running (1958)
11. Will make it.