The 10th Mofo Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Welcome to the 10th Hall of Fame!

I'm honored to be your host for this momentous occasion!
It's been three years since the first HoF took place, since then the HoFs have become something very special...They're an ongoing process where a group of people come together and share their enthusiasm for movies, how cool is that!

Procedure:
Everyone watches the nominated movies and will discuss them in this thread. You need to write at least a short paragraph about your thoughts on each movie, after you watch it. Part of the process is discussion of the movies as a group.

Any film under 220 minutes can be nominated, except for previous Hof winners. PM your nominations to me and include: film title, director, year of release...and a short write-up of why you nominated it (optional). Keep your nomination a secret until the unveiling of the films.

Dropouts: Don't join if you don't intend to watch all the films. It's wrong to join and make people spend their time watching your movie, only to drop out when you get bored or your movie gets poor reviews. If you can't finish this, don't join...Members who don't finish will be disqualified and their movie nomination removed from the Hof. Please make sure you have the time to complete this.

Now on to the Fun!
The deadline to watch the movies and PM me a ranked voting list is August 31, midnight Pacific Standard Time. I don't plan on extending the deadline, so that gives us 67 days to watch the movies.

Links to members write ups/reviews of the nominations.

Lilya 4-Ever

Topsy
Citizen Rules
Camo
Seanc
Cricket
Gbgoodies
Rauldc14
SilentVamp
ThursdayNext
Neiba

Cul-De-Sac
Camo
Gbgoodies
Citizen Rules
Topsy
Seanc
Rauldc14
SilentVamp
Thursday Next
Neiba

My Man Godfrey
Seanc
Citizen Rules
Topsy
Gbgoodies
Rauldc14
Thursday Next
Camo
Silent Vamp
Cricket
Neiba

The Lucky Ones
Camo
Thursday Next
Citizen Rules
Cricket
Seanc
Rauldc14
SilentVamp
Neiba
Topsy

The Empire Strikes Back
Gbgoodies
Citizen Rules
Thursday Next
Silent Vamp
Cricket
Topsy
Rauldc14

Ugetsu
Seanc
Citizen Rules
Camo
Topsy
Rauldc14
Silent Vamp
Neiba
Thursday Next
Friendly Mushroom

Dead Man's Shoes
Topsy
Citizen Rules
Rauldc14
Thursday Next
Silent Vamp
Neiba
Sean

Amour
Citizen Rules
Thursday Next
SilentVamp
Topsy
Camo
Cricket

East of Eden
Sean
Topsy
Rauldc14
Citizen Rules
Thursday Next
Silent Vamp
Neiba
Cricket
Camo

Blade Runner
Citizen Rules
Topsy
Silent Vamp
Neiba
Rauldc14
Thursday Next

I'll keep this updated as more members review the noms. I will add the other nomination titles when someone does a writeup/review for it.
Citizen Rules...List Sent In
Cricket
...List Sent In
Neiba
...List Sent In
SilentVamp
...List Sent In
Thursday Next
...List Sent In
Topsy
...List Sent In
Friendly Mushroom
...List Sent In
Camo
...List Sent In
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xa.jpg
Views:	2850
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	25961  

The Movie Nominations for the 10th HoF

The Empire Strikes Back (1980, Irvin Kishner)
nominated by Seanc

Time for one of the greatest trilogy ever to be nominated. I have always loved Star Wars and always will. Objectively this is the best of the bunch. Better place high you nerfherders...Seanc

The Lucky Ones
(2008, Neil Burger)
nominated by Rauldc14

Not to be confused with that goofy Zac Strong movie. I love the lead performances in this film. It's an inspiring funny film fun of adventure with a touch of reality that hit home for me. I really thought McAdams, Pena, and Robbins were all great. I don't usually nominate something like this but I enjoy the movie a lot and am curious on everybody's thoughts...Rauldc

East of Eden
(1955, Elia Kazan)
nominated by Citizen Rules

John Steinback, Elia Kazan and James Dean...Citizen Rules

Cul-De-Sac
(1966, Polanski)
nominated by Cricket

This was one of my biggest surprises while watching 60's movies for that particular countdown. It's surprisingly entertaining and I think everyone will enjoy it...Cricket

Amour (2012, Michael Haneke)
nominated by Neiba

My Man Godfrey (1936, Gregory La Cava)
nominated by SilentVamp

Considering what my past two general HoF nominations were, I decided to go for something "lighter" in tone this time around. Last time I nominated my favorite film of the 1940's. That helped me to decide to now nominate my favorite film from the 1930's. That would also make "My Man Godfrey" one of my all-time favorite comedies, of course. It may seem like a typical screwball comedy, but underneath it all, there is a serious element to it - if you pay close enough...SilentVamp

Blade Runner
(1982, Ridley Scott)
nominated by Thursday Next

Lilya 4-Ever (2002, Lucas Moodysson)
nominated by Topsy

The movie is about a sixteen year old Estonian girl who is left by her mother. When her new boyfriend promises her a new and better life in Sweden she goes with him. She soon realizes that things wont go as promised.

I recommend this movie because is based on a true story,and unfortunately the lives of many other girls as well. This is a problem that wont go away until we all unite and banish prostitution and human trafficking, sadly I don't see it happening...Topsy

Ugetsu
(1953, Kenji Mizoguchi)
nominated by Friendly Mushroom

This film almost has an incomparable important place in my heart. Though the film by itself is wonderful, the main reason why this film is so special to me is because it was the last movie I watched with my dog Skippy by my side. He would die in his sleep that night at age 11. (April 10, 2016)

I will always associate this grand movie with my beloved dog and I wanted to share with you my love for Skippy by nominating this.
You will be missed Skippy...Friendly Mushroom

Dead Man's Shoes
(2004, Shane Meadows)
nominated by Camo

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	East of Eden.jpg
Views:	2415
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	26064  

Everyone is Welcomed to Join!....But first time members need to understand that everyone who joins promises to watch every single movie that is nominated by the other members. Plus they write their thoughts about the movies after watching them.

Then after about 4 months time everyone sends in a ranked voting list. We give 1 week to watch 1 movie. But the movies can be watched faster if someone wants to.

Some of the films might be old black and white films and more obscure films, some are hard to find and some type of online streaming is usually needed.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, as everyone is welcomed! and we were all new at one time....but every time we do a Movie Hall of Fame, new members join and often end up quitting. I think it's because they don't understand the rules, that's why I tried to explain them in detail.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't have a very good track record with finishing Hall of Games, but I feel pretty confident that I can finish this one. I'm in!

I completely understand,it must frustrating when people drop out.
i figured this was a great opportunity to get to know movies i usually wouldnt. i might be in trouble if its movies thats difficult to find though- as theres not a big selection of older,lesser known,movies-i dont mind bying dvds-but bying from foreign sites usually takes a long time to arrive.

I'm in

Can everyone say if they have Netflix DVD? I have one I've been wanting to nominate, but that may be the only way to get it.
What is that?

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I completely understand,it must frustrating when people drop out.
i figured this was a great opportunity to get to know movies i usually wouldnt. i might be in trouble if its movies thats difficult to find though- as theres not a big selection of older,lesser known,movies-i dont mind bying dvds-but bying from foreign sites usually takes a long time to arrive.
I lost count of how many HoFs I joined. I finished them all and I never found any film difficult to get access to (and I never spent a cent), so I think you will be ok!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Can everyone say if they have Netflix DVD? I have one I've been wanting to nominate, but that may be the only way to get it.
I don't right now. They only offer some films through Netflix DVD? I just assumed that whatever was available that way would be available to anyone who had access to a variety of DVD's (as in the library, basically).

I only had to pay for "Beauty Day" and "Lady Killer". I had to pay for LK twice (long story), but neither one cost too much.

What is the deadline for the nominations for this?
You know I need the answer to this.

Vamp, the deadline for getting in nominations is Saturday 25th midnight PST, which gives a week. I will then do the reveal of the nominations on Sunday 26th sometime after I get up (probably like 10-11 AM PST)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Vamp, the deadline for getting in nominations is Saturday 25th midnight PST
So that means I will get an extra two hours to decide.

Thanks.