Another School Shooting in America, is there an answer?

Tools    

My dad told me he was watching the news and this guy was saying the typical "guns don't kill people, people with mental illness do" so the news anchor asked something like "so why aren't we putting more money into helping those with mental illness" and the guy just avoided the question.

F*ck you, guy!

We don't understand it because, frankly, I don't think we can. It's such a cultural difference that I don't think we'll ever really "get it."
Yes I think it's this. I don't get it and nothing I have ever read in a half century has made me understand

Of course he did. That's an even bigger can of worms than mass shootings.
Well, maybe we need to get into it if it's related.

Well, maybe we need to get into it if it's related.
TBF, I don't know who the person was so he probably wasn't brought on tv to talk about that. While he might've addressed it while acknowledging that he didn't know about it, that's not the sort of thing that people do. Especially on confrontational tv interviews.

I think it's related, in the grand scheme of things, but it's one of many arms to this and each individual case will have varying degrees of each of the problems.

TBF, I don't know who the person was so he probably wasn't brought on tv to talk about that. While he might've addressed it while acknowledging that he didn't know about it, that's not the sort of thing that people do. Especially on confrontational tv interviews.

I think it's related, in the grand scheme of things, but it's one of many arms to this and each individual case will have varying degrees of each of the problems.
True. I didn't see the segment myself.

Get ready for pictures and videos, everyone. Nostromo87 is replying to this thread.

Moral decay.

The collapsing of our culture.
Do we really have moral decay and collapse of our culture in America? Civil & human rights are much better now than they were in the past. So what actually is moral decay?

... I think the real issue does not lie in the gun culture, but in another part of society.
That's what SC is saying too, so same question to you: what about society has changed in the last 20 or so years that could explain the rise in mass school shootings by young males?

Master of My Domain
Personally I think the solution is to stop selling guns to anyone, but I don't see that becoming an actual law anytime soon so the least they can do is have an increased on gun restriction laws. Why the hell does this guy have tons of ammunition and even body armor? Bring it down to one gun per person and have it illegal to bring it outside.

Someone who wants a gun will ind a gun whether it's legal or not unfortunately, I agree with Christine and hk when they say that there is some sort of cultural difference between the states and the rest of the world and I also can't understand it, here guns is just not an issue because nobody would really want to own one. I don't know how to solve it, but it is very sad.

Pussy Galore I agree that it's an American cultural thing.

Compare American TV to European TV, especially TV from the 1970s on up. In Europe they can show bare breast but have restrictions on violence. In America we think bare breast are evil, but we love to see people die for entertainment. For whatever the reasons Americans have been in the past up tight about sex but enthusiastic about violence.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Pussy Galore I agree that it's an American cultural thing.

Compare American TV to European TV, especially TV from the 1970s on up. In Europe they can show bare breast but have restrictions on violence. In America we think bare breast are evil, but we love to see people die for entertainment. For whatever the reasons Americans have been in the past up tight about sex but enthusiastic about violence.
That reminds me of the Marlene Dietrich quote
"In America, sex is an obsession, in other parts of the world it's a fact."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Very few of the people who have guns are wiling to part with them, while very few people who live without them (including me) want anything to do with them. I have a brother-in-law who claims to have guns "all throughout" his house, and he's a grandfather a dozen times over. He also claims that they're all safe, but he's beginning to show signs of Alzheimer's. I just hope that they're all accounted for if and when he feels the need to verify that, and that the children aren't hurt by any possible accident.

My dad told me he was watching the news and this guy was saying the typical "guns don't kill people, people with mental illness do" so the news anchor asked something like "so why aren't we putting more money into helping those with mental illness" and the guy just avoided the question.

F*ck you, guy!
picture video picture video picture
video picture video picture video

Get ready for pictures and videos, everyone. Nostromo87 is replying to this thread.
oh wait

i actually had a wordy response typed up, but it was a jumbled mess

Do we really have moral decay and collapse of our culture in America? Civil & human rights are much better now than they were in the past. So what actually is moral decay?
Civil and human rights and progress don't solve all the problems in this country. Like with gay marriage -- now we have that, but we still get someone pissed off about it, like that Kim Davis woman, and it's these kinds of pissed off people who take radical action against things. People who are very religious can have a very strong motivation towards things -- no matter what, government is not above God. The government trying to take away guns is not stronger than the force of God who says, "Protect your family, protect the traditions." That Kim Davis woman got an insane amount of respect for refusing to marry gays -- SHE MET THE DAMN POPE! People compared her to Rosa Parks! Despite the progress, there's still a lot of people who don't subscribe to all that's going on. I think that probably one of the biggest conflicts is between those who think the country is only getting better... and those who think it's only going to Hell. And the more things change, the angrier they get. This is the moral decay to them.

what about society has changed in the last 20 or so years that could explain the rise in mass school shootings by young males?
I think that probably one of the biggest problems is that life has basically become too cookie cutter, too assembly line, and people are reacting to that and getting pissed off. The reason, I think, schools are always being targeted, is because school is a place where all this madness begins. School is like a prison for the young. Then they go off to college and then work, marriage, etc. etc. It's all an assembly line. Study, study, study. Work, work, work. Get married. Live a quaint little monogamous life with your wife. Then drop dead and never live again.

These guys are looking to live -- and live to the fullest. So many of these punks turn to violent video games to get pent up aggression out. So many of these guys have all kinds of psychological issues stemming from how they were raised, how they grew up, experiences with their peers, etc. etc. Life isn't really satisfying them with any answers. And now when you look at culture and entertainment ... everything's so sh*tty and chaotic. Religion is in tatters -- we collectively get more and more atheist everyday. Everyone's going gay or transgendered right in front of our faces, giving us messages about how our ideas of gender and sexuality are all wrong. The Internet has caused chaos because we're dealing with a new realm of existence that can be very different from real life, and it cuts off communication and face-to-face interaction, even voice-to-voice interaction. We're turning robotic. The progress going on is really a scary new platform, an evolution into the unknown. The school thing is probably because a lot of people are really fed up with the idea of school, the idea of having to attend these institutions by force for many years, where the bullies roam -- everyone is still all obsessed about bullying in schools.

Something's not right. The idea that things are getting better -- it's not true. I personally don't even think things are really progressing and getting better myself. We have a black president now, yet we're far from racial harmony. And then there's people everywhere trying to mask all of these problems with slogans about how "everyone's just gotta be happy!" "Love is all you need!" "IT GETS BETTER." None of that works. We live in a psychologically toxic, crazy, neurotic system where only the talented survive. People are turning to nihilism and darkness everyday because they don't have the right tools to cope with all that's being thrown at them. Life is simply getting very complex, in all kinds of directions, when the truth is -- it really doesn't need to be. But so many systems, I think, are in place now, that frustrates people and complicates their lives. These killers are people who don't know how to handle the complexity in a rational, sane outlet. And perhaps worst of all -- we may not be listening to what they have to say, what they feel.

I think that probably one of the biggest problems is that life has basically become too cookie cutter, too assembly line, and people are reacting to that and getting pissed off. The reason, I think, schools are always being targeted, is because school is a place where all this madness begins. School is like a prison for the young. Then they go off to college and then work, marriage, etc. etc. It's all an assembly line. Study, study, study. Work, work, work. Get married. Live a quaint little monogamous life with your wife. Then drop dead and never live again.