Latitudes

Tools    

No, I never seen Below. When you say horror is it like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea with giant octopus attacking? or something else?

I've not seen Down Periscope either. After watching Black Sea I realize I like Crimson Tide much better.
No giant octopuses in Below.
It's more Twilight-Zone-ish. It's actually a bit reminiscent of an episode of an old show called "One Step Beyond." The episode was "The Haunted U-Boat" (1959) and starred Werner Klemperer (Colonel Klink from Hogan's Heroes).
Below is about a U.S. sub during WWII that rescues some passengers from a ship it sunk - two are English (one a woman), and one is a German sailor. Odd things begin to occur on board. If I remember correctly, Below has some twists toward the end.

I find Down Periscope interesting in that the humor in the first half seemed to be very shlocky (for lack of a better term) with predictable, over-the-top characters. But then, as the plot of a competition develops, the movie kind of pulls together to make for a humorous adventure where you find yourself rooting for the crew. The early part has some cringe-worthy moments, but by the end it's strangely satisfying.

Crack in the World (1965)
Director: Andrew Marton
Stars: Dana Andrews, Janette Scott, Kieron Moore
Genre: Sci Fi
Length: 96 minutes

Dying scientist Dana Andrews decides to use an atomic missile to bore through the Earth's crust reaching the magma below.

Fun Factor Rating

Serena (2014)
Director: Susanne Bier
Stars: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Sean Harris
Genre: Drama, Romanc, Action, Period Piece
Length: 109 minutes

"In Depression-era North Carolina, the future of George Pemberton's timber empire becomes complicated when he marries Serena."

Wow, this movie blew! Cheesy and over the top.

My rating

Yup, that about sums it up. I had fun watching it and Janette Scott was the best thing in the movie. I did like it when the 2 guys went into a volcano to drop an atomic bomb.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Serena (2014)
Director: Susanne Bier
Stars: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Sean Harris
Genre: Drama, Romanc, Action, Period Piece
Length: 109 minutes

Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were pretty good together in Silver Linings Playbook. I never heard of Serena, but I'm surprised to see them get a bad rating in this.

No giant octopuses in Below.
It's more Twilight-Zone-ish. It's actually a bit reminiscent of an episode of an old show called "One Step Beyond." The episode was "The Haunted U-Boat" (1959) and starred Werner Klemperer (Colonel Klink from Hogan's Heroes).
Below is about a U.S. sub during WWII that rescues some passengers from a ship it sunk - two are English (one a woman), and one is a German sailor. Odd things begin to occur on board. If I remember correctly, Below has some twists toward the end.

I find Down Periscope interesting in that the humor in the first half seemed to be very shlocky (for lack of a better term) with predictable, over-the-top characters. But then, as the plot of a competition develops, the movie kind of pulls together to make for a humorous adventure where you find yourself rooting for the crew. The early part has some cringe-worthy moments, but by the end it's strangely satisfying.
Those both sound interesting so I added them to my watch list. I think Below sounds more intriguing, but there's nothing wrong with some good slap stick humor and I could see a sub crew being funny.

I never heard of Silver Linings Playbook but if you like that's good enough for me I'll add to my ever increasing watch list.

I'm surprised that you've never heard of Silver Linings Playbook. It was very popular when it came out, and it got good reviews.

This is my review of it.

I just read your review and it told me just what I needed to know, it sounds like a rom com of a different caliber so ya, I'll watch that. I don't know when as I have a lot of films to get to but it's on my list.

I've been in a vacuum for the last 15 years. It was only after coming to MoFo did I start watching newer films. Before that I called a film from the 80s new
I know the feeling. I used to watch a lot of the same movies over and over again, (mostly my favorite musicals and rom-coms), but since coming here I've watched a ton of movies that I never would have watched without this site.

I just read your review and it told me just what I needed to know, it sounds like a rom com of a different caliber so ya, I'll watch that. I don't know when as I have a lot of films to get to but it's on my list.
I have a LONG watchlist too. I don't think I'll live long enough to see the whole list, but I'm going to try.

...I'm grateful to all the MoFos including you who have told me about great films. I had watched most all of the big classics before coming here. Today I went to the library and got a whole slew of movies. Tonight I'm watching The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2011...which I think I will like...Catch ya latter, it's 8pm here and time for din-din and a movie.

...I'm grateful to all the MoFos including you who have told me about great films. I had watched most all of the big classics before coming here. Today I went to the library and got a whole slew of movies. Tonight I'm watching The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2011...which I think I will like...Catch ya latter, it's 8pm here and time for din-din and a movie.

I haven't seen The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, but I've heard that it's very good. I'm looking forward to your review of it.

Enjoy your dinner.

Thanks Sean, I will check it out! BTW do you have any other Woody Allen recommendations for me?
Trying to remember what you have seen. I know you have seen my favorite five. Have you seen Hannah And Her Sisters, Crimes And Misdemeanors, or Husband And Wives yet? I also think Interiors is great but it is much different than his other stuff. I think you will like Play It Again Sam as well. Technically not a Allen film but in the same way True Romance isn't Tarantino. Feels like they let him do everything but sit in the director's chair.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011)
Director: John Madden
Stars: Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Length: 2h 4min
Based on the novel by Deborah Moggach.

Synopsis: A group of aging Brits who want a change in their lives, decide to relocate to exotic India and take up residence in what was advertised as a luxurious hotel. But much to their surprise, when they arrive they find the Marigold Hotel is far from what they expected.

Review: I thought I'd love this. I mean this is the type of movie I usually really enjoy. It has a who's who cast of British actors...all set in exotic India. What could go wrong that?...

Well, the film tries to show too many different sub stories and I never got to know or care about the characters. After watching the entire movie I felt no connection to them. The only character that was interesting was the young Indian who owned the hotel. Him and his girlfriend and his mother were the most interesting and real thing in the film.

I'm thinking about the movie Cocoon, that also had an ensemble cast of elderly people looking to reinvent themselves. In that movie they seemed real, each had his or her own backstory. With this movie I found detached and checking the clock more than once.

It's not a bad movie and perhaps would grow on me with a second viewing. I did like the characters and the actors who played them and the on location shooting in India added to the film.

Rating

I've had The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel on my watchlist probably since it came out in 2011, but I just haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I was hoping that you would love it so I would have a reason to bump it up in my list, but I guess not.

I'm still planning to watch it, eventually.

BTW, I loved Cocoon.

I know you loved Cocoon that's why I mentioned it, it's a good comparison too. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is not a bad movie and I didn't hate it, just didn't care. It reminded me of an Indie film The 100 Foot Journey (2014) which I reviewed and really liked. In that film a large Indian family moves to France and takes over an old crumbly restaurant. I think you would like that one.