Latitudes

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Man, Rules is gonna freak when he comes to find we've been hanging on his thread all day!
It's like if you came home from work to find people have been just hanging out in your apartment, eating your food, and messing it up all day!
That is actually a perfect comparison to make.

Man, Rules is gonna freak when he comes to find we've been hanging on his thread all day!
It's like if you came home from work to find people have been just hanging out in your apartment, eating your food, and messing it up all day!
I think he'll be happy that you made yourselves at home at his place.
GBG is right, I'm very happy to see people hanging out That's what I was hoping for. I wish I could have been here...but...

I just got home and it's 9pm, so I got to run. I enjoyed reading what Vamp and Captain had to say about Jersey Boys/musicals. Both of you made good sense too. Night All

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
GBG is right, I'm very happy to see people hanging out That's what I was hoping for. I wish I could have been here...but...

I just got home and it's 9pm, so I got to run. I enjoyed reading what Vamp and Captain had to say about Jersey Boys/musicals. Both of you made good sense too. Night All

You're like Motel 6. You'll leave the light on for us.

Beyond the Sea(2004)
Director: Kevin Spacey
Writers:Kevin Spacey, Lewis Colick
Stars: Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth, John Goodman
Genre: Biography, Drama, Music

A story told in flashbacks as an older Bobby Darin whose health is failing, looks back on his early days as a singer, actor and his marriage to Sandra Dee.

Bobby Darin (Kevin Spacey) was a famous 1950s-60s pop singer who escaped poverty to become a famous singer and actor who later married Sandra Dee

Beyond The Sea
is remarkably the same type of true story as the movie Jersey Boy, only I liked it much better, thanks to a great acting job by Kevin Spacey. Spacey is always likable on screen and he does look like Bobby. He does his own singing too and he's pretty darn good. Of course Bobby Darrin was one of the all time greats, so that's some big shoes to fill, but fill them he does.

I'm not sure why Kevin Spacey the director included musical numbers with people dancing in the street? It didn't seem like that type of movie and as far as I know Bobby Darrin never starred in any musicals like that. But they don't detract from the movie.

The weak link is, Kate Bosworth who was pail compared to the real Sandra Dee. Sandra Dee was bubbly and full of life, here she's portrayed rather blandly. Sadly Sandra Dee died two months after this film was released. Drew Barrymore had been mentioned to play Sandra and that would have made this film a 4 star plus movie for me.

My rating

The real Bobby Darin & Sandra Dee.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	main_image-35123.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	22621   Click image for larger version

Name:	920x920.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	24027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	24029  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm glad you enjoyed Beyond The Sea. I thought Kevin Spacey did a terrific job as Bobby Darin, including his singing and dancing.

(BTW, I thought Bobby Darin was from New York, not New Jersey, but I didn't look it up, so I could be wrong.)

Maybe he was from the other side of the river. I guess what I meant was that in both films Bobby and Frankie said they were going to be big like Sinatra. It seemed Frank making it out of the hood really influenced their lives.

My quick opinion:
I didn't care for Kate Bosworth as Sandra Dee either. As I think I said before, she isn't "cute" enough to be her. Then again, I don't care for Bosworth all that much in anything.

I was really impressed with Kevin Spacey in there. But he is always good.

And Bobby Darin is from NY.

Of course, everyone seemed to want to be Frank Sinatra. Even Marvin Gaye, who took a completely different musical style path, wanted that for his career when he first started out.

Been so long since I saw Beyond The Sea. I remember liking it.
But then, Bobby Darin is one of my all time favorite singers. (Dare I say I like him more than Sinatra?)

A short diversion: speaking of the sea, Jersey, and Sinatra...

On the boardwalk at Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ, there are houses up against the boardwalk before you get to all the rides and games & stuff. There's one house everyone will know who's familiar with that boardwalk because they play Sinatra on outdoor speakers.
I don't know how late they play the music, but I've never been there in the summer when I didn't hear it as I walked by. And it's not like it's blasting or anything, but it's always been nice to mosey past the "Sinatra" house and listen as you walk.
(Granted, I haven't been there in many years, but I hope they're maintaining the tradition.)

Neat story Captain, I can almost picture the scene on an summers eve. I've never been to the Boardwalk or even New Jersey...but if I ever get a chance to go I'm going to keep an ear peeled for the Sinatra house.

I like to watch his movie, Captain Newman, M.D. (1963) that's the film they showed him making in Beyond The Sea. It's the one he was nominated Best Actor in a Supporting Role.

I've seen Bobby Darin in these films:

Come September 1961
Hell is For Heroes 1962.....a great war flick with Steve McQueen
If a Man Answers (with Sandra Dee) 1962
That Funny Feeling (with Sandra Dee) 1965

(Dare I say I like him more than Sinatra?)
I like Vic Damone better than any of the crooners (f.y.i. I am a HUGE - I am talking somewhat obsessed - fan of the crooners). And I always feel that people can't judge me for saying that I like him better because, after all, Sinatra was the one who said Damone had the "best pipes in the business".

Black Sea (2014)
Director: Kevin Macdonald
Stars: Jude Law, Scoot McNairy, Ben Mendelsohn

I love submarine movies. I guess it's the encapsulated feeling of seclusion. There's a fatalistic beauty to being deep under the water. Submarines impart a feeling of isolation and finality. They're a world unto themselves. There has been a lot of fine films made about submarines and their crews, but Black Sea ain't one of them! This was one of the most boring films I've seen. Every shot is a close up, I could hardly tell what was going on. The accents were so strong that I had to use sub titles. A pretty weak film all around.

Hey Rules, since you're talking about Submarine movies...
Saw one last year called "Below": kind of a submarine / horror movie. Just wondering if you saw it and, if so, what you thought of it.
(It's no Das Boot, but then, except for Crimson Tide, what even comes close?)

Also, have you ever seen Down Periscope (the comedy with Kelsey Grammer)?

Hey Sean, I wanted just a simple name for this thread. You know I have you largely to thank for encouraging me to watch more Woody Allen films. Now he's one of my favorite directors. I hope to be able to squeeze a few more of his films into my watch list.

Hey Rules, since you're talking about Submarine movies...
Saw one last year called "Below": kind of a submarine / horror movie. Just wondering if you saw it and, if so, what you thought of it.
(It's no Das Boot, but then, except for Crimson Tide, what even comes close?)

Also, have you ever seen Down Periscope (the comedy with Kelsey Grammer)?
No, I never seen Below. When you say horror is it like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea with giant octopus attacking? or something else?

I've not seen Down Periscope either. After watching Black Sea I realize I like Crimson Tide much better.