Scorsese's Silence

Tools    

I might be too busy to talk as much about this film as I'd like, but I will say that I think they omitted the single most important line in the entire book from it.
Which line?

WARNING: "Silence, the book" spoilers below
"It was to be trampled on by men that I was born into this world."

Yeah that was kinda a big thing to leave out. I still think the film is amazing though.

Must be doin sumthin right
I don't get Christianity

Which part? I mean, granted many theological concepts can get pretty heady, but the idea that Jesus became incarnate specifically to atone for Mankind's sins is one of the more straightforward ones.

That said, Silence was written by a Christian, but it shouldn't necessarily be taken as Gospel, to make a figurative phrase literal.

WARNING: "Christianity" spoilers below
the idea that Jesus became incarnate specifically to atone for Mankind's sins
The need for Christ's atonement, that's what I never got. Seemed like a grim thing to base a religion off of. I'll probably always struggle with this movie because of that, despite how impressive the movie is

WARNING: "Silence, the movie" spoilers below
Andrew Garfield's character struggles with keeping the faith during his time in Japan and all his questions are met with silence from God. Then when his futile trip reaches the point where he finally just can't take it anymore, can't watch another person die for his beliefs, he's finally given an out by the voice of God/Ciaran Hinds. God tells him it's fine to forsake Him and spend the rest of his life working with the Inquisitor in stamping out Christianity and damning an entire nation. Garfield becomes the new Neeson who he had previously called a disgrace. But when Garfield dies, him secretly having kept his faith is played as a moment of triumph. Triumph despite the fact that most of his life was spent in the service of a government rooting out Christians. I didn't know what to take from that.
Originally Posted by Yoda
That said, Silence was written by a Christian, but it shouldn't necessarily be taken as Gospel, to make a figurative phrase literal.
Of course but one of my favorite Christian filmmakers decided it was valid enough to make a 20 year passion project out of, so that's what's makes me want to understand its meaning more

The need for Christ's atonement, that's what I never got.
Well, if this helps, it's only "Christ's atonement" in the sense that He's doing it on our behalf. Like paying another person's debt.

Apologies if this is what you meant, anyway; I can't tell from the phrasing.

Seemed like a grim thing to base a religion off of. I'll probably always struggle with this movie because of that, despite how impressive the movie is
Aye, it's grim. But then, people are pretty crappy, so I don't think a happy-happy joy-joy worldview philosophy would ring as true. But either way, this is a telling fact, isn't it? If you think of Christianity as something that's true, rather than a lie concocted to appeal to people, then the fact that it's grim isn't really perplexing at all. If, on the other hand, you think it's made-up, then the people making it up made some awfully counterintuitive choices.

Of course but one of my favorite Christian filmmakers decided it was valid enough to make a 20 year passion project out of, so that's what's makes me want to understand its meaning more
I dig. I assume it's an expression of the things he wrestles with, much like Last Temptation. He's made religious films, to be sure, but not straightforward ones. So I guess it's possible what he's responding to was less the validity of its message, and more just the fact that it was meditating on some of the same difficult questions he does.

Well, if this helps, it's only "Christ's atonement" in the sense that He's doing it on our behalf. Like paying another person's debt.

Apologies if this is what you meant, anyway; I can't tell from the phrasing.
Oh yeah I understand that but I won't get over the why of it. The idea of violations of arbitrary rules deemed sins by a supreme being who insists they have to be atoned for with arbitrary punishments because... I don't really want to get into this discussion though haha

But either way, this is a telling fact, isn't it? If you think of Christianity as something that's true, rather than a lie concocted to appeal to people, then the fact that it's grim isn't really perplexing at all. If, on the other hand, you think it's made-up, then the people making it up made some awfully counterintuitive choices.
Or the maker-uppers found guilt to be persuading. Again don't want to dive too deep in this pool

So I guess it's possible what he's responding to was less the validity of its message, and more just the fact that it was meditating on some of the same difficult questions he does.
How do you interpret the ending? Like, the very last shot. How did that make you feel

Oh yeah I understand that but I won't get over the why of it. The idea of violations of arbitrary rules deemed sins by a supreme being who insists they have to be atoned for with arbitrary punishments because... I don't really want to get into this discussion though haha
Or the maker-uppers found guilt to be persuading. Again don't want to dive too deep in this pool
It won't surprise you to learn there's a whole mess of stuff I'd like to say in response (particularly the use of "arbitrary"), but yeah, no worries, I won't drag you into a theological debate. I wasn't sure until now how many of these things were actual questions, as opposed to implied criticisms.

How do you interpret the ending? Like, the very last shot. How did that make you feel
I interpret it to mean that faith can't be destroyed through blunt force, because people don't obtain it that way in the first place. It can't--to use an appropriate metaphor--just be stamped out. It stands in stark contrast to what they're told over and over: Christianity can't grow here, can't survive here. It's a swamp. That last shot is a green stem poking up out of the mud.

As for how it made me feel: well, better than if the movie had ended without it. But that's partially just because it would've been pretty crappy to adapt a Christian novel and subvert or undermine its meaning.

But I'm not nuts about it. As I said, I think it omitted the most important line (and pretty much the one thing that really attempts to address some of the heavy questions the book throws out), and I'm not really sure if Scorsese's point is the same as the book's. It's powerful, and beautiful, but a little unsatisfying. Though I'm mindful of the possibility that it's supposed to be.

I interpret it to mean that faith can't be destroyed through blunt force, because people don't obtain it that way in the first place. It can't--to use an appropriate metaphor--just be stamped out. It stands in stark contrast to what they're told over and over: Christianity can't grow here, can't survive here. It's a swamp. That last shot is a green stem poking up out of the mud.
WARNING: "Silence" spoilers below
But doesn't the government stamp it out and force Garfield to become an accomplice in their inquisition? What does it matter if he held on to his personal faith if he spent most of his life on Earth acting as an accessory in stopping the spread of the religion in Japan and condemning hundreds/thousands of other Christians in the country to death

But doesn't the government stamp it out and force Garfield to become an accomplice in their inquisition? What does it matter if he held on to his personal faith if he spent most of his life on Earth acting as an accessory in stopping the spread of the religion in Japan and condemning hundreds/thousands of other Christians in the country to death
I think it matters for two reasons: one personal, and one general.

It matters to him personally because it means they didn't actually break him. They made him say things and do things, but they didn't change his mind.

It matters to the situation in general because it means their plans are doomed to fail: if they can't force people not to believe on an individual level, then it doesn't matter how successful they are at forcing people to do things, because they're not really eradicating the religion from their country: they're just forcing it to hide.

I think it matters for two reasons: one personal, and one general.

It matters to him personally because it means they didn't actually break him. They made him say things and do things, but they didn't change his mind.

It matters to the situation in general because it means their plans are doomed to fail: if they can't force people not to believe on an individual level, then it doesn't matter how successful they are at forcing people to do things, because they're not really eradicating the religion from their country: they're just forcing it to hide.
Yeah I guess that's the tipping point then

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you" - Batman

I saw this film at the theater with three very good friends of mine a couple of days ago and it was interesting how much discussion it provoked afterwards. The one friend who is considerably more sympathetic towards Christianity than the other two kind of had the same feeling of "subversiveness" as Yoda seems to have, while one of the other two, for instance, thought the film wasn't critical enough of Christianity and its missionary intentions. We discussed many aspects of the film and their importance during a great three hour long conversation. We pretty much analyzed all the important scenes and the potential meanings behind them.

I loved the film myself. I found there to be a beautiful, complex and very intense balance. As someone who hasn't read the book and who can only call himself a Christian from a cultural standpoint, I thought Scorsese's focuses felt truthful and interesting.

My eyes became watery when that final black screen appeared and when the whole theater kept silent, listening in awe to a few whispers of nature... Scorsese's cinema had triumphed once more!

Related to all this, here's an analysis of the film that makes a pretty good case that the film's message ultimately undermines Christianity. Agree or not, it's very thoughtful and well-written.

Most of us are more like Rodrigues, or at least like Scorsese. We can’t muster any glee at our transgressions, but we find ways to justify them as necessary. And so we want to read Rodrigues not as an apostate but as a new kind of saint. The truest faith might be denial of faith, we solemnly equivocate.

Rodrigues in his apostasy must be some grand and tragic figure, because he so resembles us. The internal inquisitor in each of us demands that every holy thing be trampled. Our response to an intuition of sacredness is to devise outlandish hypotheticals where that sacred must be profaned.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Ugh!
I want to read this thread so much!! But that movie didn't last long here so I've not been able to watch it yet.

=*(

lol?

Related to all this, here's an analysis of the film that makes a pretty good case that the film's message ultimately undermines Christianity. Agree or not, it's very thoughtful and well-written.
This is well written and I agree this is mostly what I took away from the movie but

it's totally undercut by the last shot which feels intended to make the audience feel the way you responded to it.

Great piece.

I think Silence's case is less obvious than the other utilitarian examples he's offering, though. There's that compulsive aspect to it. The presence of the evil authority makes it a more layered and broader case than the others.

In the film, the (whether or not imaginary) voice of Christ also doesn't expect of any human to bear the weight that he had to. He offers to let it rest on his shoulders. The author of the essay should've adressed that aspect of it as well. It was one of the most resonating moments of the film for me.

The final scene came across to me as Christianity's focus on what's truly inside. What's really in this human's heart. It's a judgement that is not really about sins. It kind of mirrors Christ's way of looking at people in the New Testament. Sins can make you evil, but they do not necessarily. There's room for human imperfection. Perfection can only be found in Christ himself.
That's why I don't buy the fact that the film ultimately undermines Christianity. If anything, it might demonstrate some of its most important components.

"Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God" Matthew 5:8

I think Silence's case is less obvious than the other utilitarian examples he's offering, though. There's that compulsive aspect to it. The presence of the evil authority makes it a more layered and broader case than the others.

In the film, the (whether or not imaginary) voice of Christ also doesn't expect of any human to bear the weight that he had to. He offers to let it rest on his shoulders. The author of the essay should've adressed that aspect of it as well. It was one of the most resonating moments of the film for me.

The final scene came across to me as Christianity's focus on what's truly inside. What's really in this human's heart. It's a judgement that is not really about sins. It kind of mirrors Christ's way of looking at people in the New Testament. Sins can make you evil, but they do not necessarily. There's room for human imperfection. Perfection can only be found in Christ himself.
That's why I don't buy the fact that the film ultimately undermines Christianity. If anything, it might demonstrate some of its most important components.

"Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God" Matthew 5:8
Isn't there a distinction, though, between not having to endure the same hardships as Christ and spending decades rooting out & condemning fellow Christians to death

Isn't there a distinction, though, between not having to endure the same hardships as Christ and spending decades rooting out & condemning fellow Christians to death
The priests aren't the ones rooting out and condemning their fellow Christians to death. Not according to my view, at least.

The priests aren't the ones rooting out and condemning their fellow Christians to death. Not according to my view, at least.
That's a fair view but there's a difference between compliance and complicity. There are even several scenes towards the end where in my opinion Scorsese goes out of his way to highlight that difference