Should a woman replace Andrew Jackson on the U.S. $20 bill?

Tools    

There's a growing movement in the U.S. to remove the 7th American President, Andrew Jackson from the $20 bill and replace him with a U.S. woman. Is this the right thing to do? And who would you choose to replace Andrew???

Short 2 minute video.
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/...0-bill-n326761

List of the 16 potential women for the $20 bill
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
‎Rosa Parks
‎Clara Barton‎
Alice Paul‎
Eleanor Roosevelt‎
Shirley Chisholm‎
Frances Perkins‎
Margaret Sanger‎
Susan B. Anthony‎
Sojourner Truth‎
Betty Friedan‎
Harriet Tubman‎
Patsy Mink‎
Barbara Jordan‎
Rachel Carson‎

Have you guys heard of any them before?

Credit to DonnieDarko whom first posted about this on the Shoutbox.

Never heard of this. What's wrong with Andrew Jackson? What has he done to deserve being removed from the $20 bill?

Also, wouldn't it be kinda hard to try to get rid of all the Jackson 20's if they want to replace them?

I've heard of Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Harriet Tubman. I probably heard of a few more but just forgot who they were.

Keep Andy on there. One of our strongest presidents, who truly has left a great mark on US politics. I really don't believe in replacing him at all, but the idea of doing it just because of gender is even more absurd. We already have Sacajewea-i probably slaughtered that- dollar coin.

Grant was one of our most corrupt presidents and he's on the 50, I think it's more important to look at how influential the person was, rather than their morales. Which while in our day disgusting, in his time perfectly acceptable

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Keep Andy on there. One of our strongest presidents, who truly has left a great mark on US politics. I really don't believe in replacing him at all, but the idea of doing it just because of gender is even more absurd. We already have Sacajewea-i probably slaughtered that- dollar coin.

We also had a Susan B. Anthony dollar coin for a few years (1979 - 1981). Most people didn't like it because it was too close to the size and weight of the quarter, so many people got them confused.

Also, wouldn't it be kinda hard to try to get rid of all the Jackson 20's if they want to replace them?
You do realize newer bills have increased security features and look different.. even though they look different they didn't go and get rid of all the older ones

Grant was one of our most corrupt presidents and he's on the 50, I think it's more important to look at how influential the person was, rather than their morales. Which while in our day disgusting, in his time perfectly acceptable
I am not American so it's an opinion from an outsider, but this sentance is ridiculous to me. If I follow your reasoning the amount of influence is the more important thing regarding presidents regardless if it's positive or negative. Morality is more important than ''influence'', also you use cultural relativism. Because in its time it was ''acceptable'' we don't really care, I can agree with you that for someone who doesn't really ask himself some important philosophical questions it's understandable, but fr the leader of the ****ry no way.

so? just because what he did was acceptable then (and i can think of thousands of native americans who would beg to differ), it doesn't mean that we need to be embracing that in the modern day, where that is absolutely not acceptable.

and how does the fact that it's for gender equality make it worse? men are on every bill and every important coin, would it really be that big of a deal to let women have some representation on our money? this is just like the ghostbusters backlash but even more insane.

i'm all for replacing grant too, btw.

Nothing wrong with having a man or a woman on money.

Obviously we have the Queen on all our current notes, but Britain has Elizabeth Fry on the current £5.
We used to have Florence Nightingale on the £10.
In 2017 our £10 will change to Jane Austen.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I am not American so it's an opinion from an outsider, but this sentance is ridiculous to me. If I follow your reasoning the amount of influence is the more important thing regarding presidents regardless if it's positive or negative. Morality is more important than ''influence'', also you use cultural relativism. Because in its time it was ''acceptable'' we don't really care, I can agree with you that for someone who doesn't really ask himself some important philosophical questions it's understandable, but fr the leader of the ****ry no way.
I think there is a point to what dd is saying in that if our money is meant as a representation of our historical selves, it's important to remember what happened, good and bad. America has the tendency to erase and skew history in such ways that reminders of our genocidal past should be welcome. On the other hand, will putting someone's face on a bill invoke questioning or acceptance by the majority of people? I'd wager acceptance and complacency, which isn't what we want. Though, I don't think this issue is very interesting to begin with, there are much greater influences on the American psyche that should be covered first

Nothing wrong with having a man or a woman on money.

Obviously we have the Queen on all our current notes, but Britain has Elizabeth Fry on the current £5.
We used to have Florence Nightingale on the £10.
In 2017 our £10 will change to Jane Austen.
I like the idea of having different, diverse people on our banknotes now and again. Although the Jane Austen one didn't get agreed until there was a campaign because there wouldn't have been a woman apart from the Queen on the new ones.

The People's Republic of Clogher
He's one of your Ulster-sourced politicians (like John McCain, Useless Grant, Woodrow Wilson and Harry Truman in order of importance) so keep him on...

...Unless he's replaced by an Ulster-American woman, of course, and there's plenty of those: Dolly Parton, Kim Basinger, Debbie Reynolds, Christina Ricci etc. Take yer pick America!

so? just because what he did was acceptable then (and i can think of thousands of native americans who would beg to differ), it doesn't mean that we need to be embracing that in the modern day, where that is absolutely not acceptable.

and how does the fact that it's for gender equality make it worse? men are on every bill and every important coin, would it really be that big of a deal to let women have some representation on our money? this is just like the ghostbusters backlash but even more insane.

i'm all for replacing grant too, btw.

I don't think having him on our bill is embracing the trail of tears. But rather how he shaped the nation.

My issue is just throwing a random woman on the bill, just so we can have a woman on a bill. The gender of who's on the bill should not matter. Unless we're just looking for a Quota Woman

The thing that irks me about this isn't putting a woman on a bill but the idea that they have to replace someone that's been on there forever without any real good reason.

How about they bring the $2 bill back and put a woman on that? I would be fine with that.