Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

Awesome Raul. I am really looking forward to my rewatch. I don't remember much past loving McDermond and the guy from cheers in it.

Haven't seen Blood Simple or The Man Who Wasn't There. Off the top of my head i think those two and Hail, Caesar may be the only Coens i've not seen but i may be forgetting something.

Might watch and post my thoughts about one or both of those if i get the chance.

Just watched my first two films this month with a rewatch of one of my favourites There Will Be Blood then a first time watch of The Act of Killing which was amazing, so i kind of don't want to ruin the perfect streak haha.

Okay, here we go y'all!

I finally got started on this Coen-come-together director's dissection deliciousness that sean and raul so kindly welcomed me into... And before I even mention the movie, I gotta say how liberating it was to FINALLY dive head-long into the Coen brothers' compact compilation of quality movies here... starting with,

BLOOD SIMPLE.

Okay, so it opens kind of low-budgety, with dark cinematography, minimal setting, era-based hair-styling and appearances and a heavily accented voice-over, which was some mumble-ish mess, which I feared might be a problem later, since a lot of characters seemed to speak that way and the sound quality seemed slightly muddled as well, not really helping either. Anyways, all that changed later on and I also got more into the movie and the characters so I could understand the dialogue better...

About the dialogue, I really liked it, as it was simple yet very delicate and the noir-feel was obvious and really completed the style for the rest of the cinematic elements - all of which really had this noir-feel to it as well - a clear homage yet also very much its own with the neon lights and all, making it a modern noir throwback thriller of sorts... Neo-noir is the correct term, yes, but it was very much true to its own as well.

I would lie if I said I can't see certain elements that tells me that this is a debut feature, but I would also lie if I said that this isn't a damn near exemplary execution with an elegance and confidence that really sells the occasional on-the-nose storytelling, editing, cinematography or the likes. The inventive editing transitions, the smooth camera movements, the lingering storytelling technique, everything really makes this a great experience. I loved the look of some of the scenes, especially in the bar, and the sound design created a great sense of paranoia and really cemented the genre of the movie as well.

I thought this was very solid almost all the way through, but it was especially the end that really gave it that extra notch, as raul also said,
Big fan of the ending, which ultimately elevated the films total rating for me as well.
And as he also said, the acting was good and I also really love seeing Francis McDormand on screen in all the movies I see with her in it.

But unlike raul, I gotta give it a slightly lower rating this time, which is purely because I'd rather want it to rise than fall with a rewatch. I actually did give it a 4/5 at first, but went in and changed it. I can definitely see this growing to a 4 in the future...

++

Miller's Crossing

A great example of a film that really needed a second watch. I enjoyed it last time but it was so much easier to follow the plot this time around. Too much plot is usually a bad thing for me but of course this is Coen brothers so it is filled with interesting characters and great dialogue. The plot isn't really complicated anyway it is really the fact that we are thrown directly in the middle of this world and supposed to know all the names involved. Once you figure that out you can just sit back and enjoy the mayhem.

This really is a pretty funny flick. The writing is so clever and there is the perfect mix of intelligence and stupidity going on, many times within the same character. Tom is a great catalyst for all of this and this is certainly the most I have liked Byrne. Tuturro pretty well steals the scenes he is in and gave me the most smiles per minute on screen. I loved Polito in this. I know he is an actor he has seen before but is one that is hard for me to place where. His interactions with everyone are priceless and the two scenes with his son may have made me laugh more than any others. I wish Finney was given more screen time but he commands the screen when he is involved.

Like with most films I love I could gush about characters and scenes all day but feel ill equipped to talk about cinematography and score, both of which I loved here. I had forgotten the score, it might be my favorite in a Coen film not named Fargo. The look and feel of Miller's Crossing is just as perfect as you would expect from the Coens. Especially striking is the woods that are used to dispose of bodies.

I wish I had a better grip on what the hat means to me. I read some theories and, frankly, all of them make sense but none really resonated with me. I know that I love the thematic through line of it and that is undoubtedly why I wish I was gleaning more meaning from it. It is great though and I hope you much smarter Mofos than me have more to say about it.

Really happy this movie was chosen by us. It was over due for that critical Coen second watch. great stuff.

I'll wait with the read till I watch it myself, but I saw your rating on Letterboxd and was very pleased. It may be my nom but I haven't seen it. but that rating definitely got me excited! Can't wait to watch it.

I'll wait with the read till I watch it myself, but I saw your rating on Letterboxd and was very pleased. It may be my nom but I haven't seen it. but that rating definitely got me excited! Can't wait to watch it.
Cool, just be thinking about the significance of the hat while you watch. I am really interested in your thoughts on that.

Cool, just be thinking about the significance of the hat while you watch. I am really interested in your thoughts on that.
Not having read your review nor seen the actual movie that makes very little sense, but sure... I look for a hat. Or hats. Head accessories. I don't wanna miss anything.

Blood Simple

Another second watch that gets a half star bump. The plot is very simple but similar to Miller's Crossing the Coen brothers simply throw you into it and expect you to catch up. I was pretty glad I watched No Country just a couple days after this because I noticed that the opening is the exact same. Some philosophical narration over stills of the world we will be spending the next couple hours in. I liked a lot of the visual flourishes in this. Maybe a few too many for some but I really enjoyed the look of the film and a lot of the transitions.

Very well written film. What sets the Coens apart and makes them truly two of the greatest film makers we have ever seen is how they draw their characters so you feel like you know them almost immediately. They had that ability from the start and have never lost it. That is what makes every single one of their films at the very least solid and elevates most of them.

Blood Simple is a Noir through and through, and I love that. Seedy and grimy little story that never feels like it is coming to a happy conclusion. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

One thing I want to take note of as I watch the Coens more and more is how often the concept of Hell comes up. It is mentioned here. Obviously plays heavily into Barton Fink. I swear I remember it coming up in Miller's Crossing as well. Going to write about No Country in the next couple of days. Hell is never mentioned by name but I think the thematic through line of that film definitely plays heavily into the view that we are all in a form of Hell. It's interesting and something I am going to keep looking for.

Good write-up, Sean!

I especially agree with the part about the characters. Very true. You are often thrown fast into the mix but somehow you know these people almost instantly. Quite an achievement, especially since they manage to pull it off with pretty much every movie they make.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Man Who Wasn't There

I think this is my least favorite Coen so far, but I wouldn't call it bad either. Billy Bob Thornton just seems to be a bit of a wooden actor for me, and especially was to me in this. Still liked McDormand but it wasn't anything near her other performances and she really wasn't to big of a central figure in this either. The UFO thing seemed a little out of place for me too. I did like the black and white cinematography and the story was decent, although decent for Coens isn't usually said much because it's usually fascinating and full of themes. I don't know that I will watch this again, at least not anytime soon but it was pretty average for me.

Bummer. I really liked it the first time. It has faded from my memory though. I will try and watch that one next. Still have my No Country write up to do as well.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Bummer. I really liked it the first time. It has faded from my memory though. I will try and watch that one next. Still have my No Country write up to do as well.
No Country will be next for me. I haven't seen it in quite awhile.

The Man Who Wasn't There is one of my top five (possibly even top three) favorite Coen films. I hope the other two can appreciate it more than Raul did.