Film Noir HoF...Hall of Fame

Tools    

Kaplan, Criss Cross is yours. If you change your mind before the Hof starts, you can pick another.

I've seen Laura, but only once long ago. I'm happy to watch any of these great Noirs. I need to update my own Noir list, I haven't really done that yet.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I was also considering Ace in the Hole starring Kirk Douglas because it sounded interesting, and it was directed by Billy Wilder, but I haven't seen it yet. It has a good rating on IMDB.

I was also considering Ace in the Hole starring Kirk Douglas because it sounded interesting, and it was directed by Billy Wilder, but I haven't seen it yet. It has a good rating on IMDB.
I've always thought people were really stretching the boundaries of Noir by including Ace in the Hole, but it is a really good movie.

Ace in the Hole is real good! It was loosely based on a real story about a man who became trapped in a cave and a media circus gathered outside. The only reason I know that is because I read a book about caving and it was a famous incident in the 1930s? It's got Kirk Douglas in it, who's always excellent.

Kirk Douglas was especially good in another great Noir, Detective Story (1951) with Elanor Parker. I was talking about that movie a few weeks ago. It sort of plays out like a noir version of Barney Miller as it's mostly set in a police station with a series of events going on. Thelma Ritter's in it too.

I've always thought people were really stretching the boundaries of Noir by including Ace in the Hole, but it is a really good movie.

Well since you've obviously seen it, I won't nominate it, but I've added it to my own watchlist.

Ace in the Hole is real good! It was loosely based on a real story about a man who became trapped in a cave and a media circus gathered outside. The only reason I know that is because I read a book about caving and it was a famous incident in the 1930s? It's got Kirk Douglas in it, who's always excellent.

Kirk Douglas was especially good in another great Noir, Detective Story (1951) with Elanor Parker. I was talking about that movie a few weeks ago. It sort of plays out like a noir version of Barney Miller as it's mostly set in a police station with a series of events going on. Thelma Ritter's in it too.

I'm looking into Detective Story now. You compared it to "Barney Miller" and piqued my curiosity.

You're in Mushroom!

I got to run for the evening. Mushroom we were just gabbing about cool Noirs, got any to mention?
Yes I do. But the one I want to nominate isn't on the IMDB film noir list. It's a Hitchcock film. Can I still nominate it? (I have seen it before.)

I got one more to mention before I hit the road....errr I mean couch (well actually it's a recliner).

Road House
(1948)...maybe the only noir that has a Bogie type charater who is a female, that would be Ida Lupino.

Yes I do. But the one I want to nominate isn't on the IMDB film noir list. It's a Hitchcock film. Can I still nominate it? (I have seen it before.)
Probably, just private message me. Catch ya all latter.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
If one accepts the concept that Noir films are those that have dark themes, (as opposed to being shot in a nighttime urban setting, since it is mostly shot in the blazing sun of the Arizona desert), then Ace in the Hole is definitely noir, since it is Wilder's darkest themed movie without a doubt.

And I wouldn't worry if a lot of people have seen the film you pick, since IMO the discussion and critique of a film is the most important thing to me, and while finding something new is important, it is an added bonus, if you know what mean.

Criss Cross may be my nomination, so leave that please. It's coming in Netflix.

If you're looking for the movie Criss Cross from 1948 starring Burt Lancaster, it's scheduled to air on Turner Classic Movies this Sunday (tomorrow) at 10:15AM EASTERN TIME.

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS FOR THE CORRECT TIME IN YOUR TIME ZONE!

I'll join then. I've been a bit unreliable with these things recently and have been frustrating with the lack of movies I have been watching, but I think noir is the type of thing I want to be watching more of, I'll give it a go.

Laura and Sunset Boulevard are two more films I've seen multiple times. They're both great, though I'm weird in that I actually prefer Where the Sidewalk Ends to Laura. Both movies were directed by Otto Preminger and both star Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney. I always try to recommend it when I can.