Suspect's Top 50 Horror Films

→ in
Tools    

All I remember about Dead Alive is its excellent gore effects. And I still haven't seen Fright Night, even though everyone seems to love it and I have it available to watch.

As for The Shining, I read the book before watching the movie, and I initially had a similar reaction as Stephen King. The heart of the book is basically omitted from Kubrick's adaptation, where Jack is essentially crazy from the very first scene as opposed to being a good father/husband who succumbs to his demons and the ghosts of his past due to the outward pressure of the hotel's evil spirits. As King has said in interviews, his book ends in fire whereas the movie ends in ice, which is an apt metaphor for the differences in tone between the two works. After multiple re-watches, however, I've come to separate the film from the book. There are so many memorable scenes in the film ("Heeeere's Johnny!") and so much iconic imagery (the blood gushing from the elevator shaft, for instance), plus Nicholson's performance is deliciously over-the-top and amazing in its own right. I still prefer the book, since I can relate to it in a way that I can't with the film, but I now consider the film a masterpiece in its own right.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Beware the moon

Still one of the best werewolf transformations done on film today. I feel that people take the easy route with CGI now, case in point the lacklustre sequel.

A horror comedy that brings both the laughs and the terror. A wink to the audience with the soundtrack, where every title contains the word MOON in it and a director, you'd never expect this kind of material to come from.

An American Werewolf In London is one of the best werewolf flicks of all-time.

Dog Soldiers (2002)

Six soldiers. Full moon. No Chance.

I said An American Werewolf in London is one of the best werewolf films of all-time. I give you my favourite werewolf film of all-time. Neil Marshall's Dog Soldiers.

This film caught my attention and made me keep my eye open for Marshall's future work, which would include the Fassbender Roman flick Centurion, the genre-bender Doomsday and of course one of the scariest films of all-time, The Descent. For Game of Thrones lovers, he did the Blackwater and Watchers on the Wall episodes, which are fan favourites.

I always look forward to what Marshall is going to bring us next and it all started with the highly entertaining Dog Soldiers.

The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

If you hear a strange noise outside....have sex

From one cabin in the woods flick to another. Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard turned the horror genre inside out for this send up and it works perfectly. I had so much fun watching this film that my face hurt from the constant smiling.

Every joke, every ironic character decision, every set-piece, just works effortlessly, in my opinion. Lots of laughs, lots of gore and the perfect winking to the audience the entire time.

Suspect's Reviews

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

She is the only one who can stop it... if she fails, no one survives.

So when I first watched this movie. It was in a cottage in the middle of NOWHERE. it was 1:30 in the morning. I'm by myself, watching this on the tv in the VCR. Sitting on the cough, behind me is a GIANT ASS WINDOW. This movie freaked the hell out of me and I couldn't finish. I kept thinking someone (Freddy) was behind me, watching my through that giant window. This film scared me, it's one of a select few to do so.

Freddy is terrifying in the original, he's become a one-liner of a joke since then, but damn is this a good horror flick.

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

When there's no room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

Is this film THE definition of a zombie movie? I'd say so. It's brilliant in its design and execution. Easily regarded as the best in Romero's "dead" series, but not only that, it's regarded as the best zombie movie of all time.

Bigger budget, bigger cast, bigger ideas. This film had it all.

The Shining, Fright Night, Dog Soldiers, American Werewolf, Elm St., and Dawn of the Dead are all gold for me. I just thought Cabin in the Woods was decent, and I didn't care for Dead-Alive.

Really curious to see your top picks!

I've not seen Cabin In The Woods and I still know almost nothing about it (it has a twist/surprisng ending, I think) so I've not seen that one. The other five are all glorious examples, not only of horror films, but of film. Like you, I also think Dawn Of The Dead is the best zombie film. Dawn, Nightmare and Werewolf are all on my 100. Like you, were I to make a horror list, I'm sure they'd all be top 10.

When it comes to zombies, vampires, ghosts, demons and other horror creatures, I guess I tend to find werewolves among the least interesting of the bunch. An American Werewolf in London and Dog Soldiers are both entertaining movies. They're probably the best two werewolf movies I've seen, but that has more to do with the lack of competition than anything.

Not a fan of Cabin in the Woods at all. I hated the meta-humor and all the constant winking at the audience. I want to lose myself in a film, and I can't do that when I feel the overbearing presence of the writers trying to be clever with every scene and every line of dialogue.

I like Freddy Krueger and the premise of Nightmare on Elm Street more than the movie itself, but it's an okay movie and my second favorite of the series (Dream Warriors is number one, although I haven't seen New Nightmare, which many people praise).

I watched Dawn of the Dead for the first time earlier this year. I liked it a lot, but I prefer Night of the Living Dead

When it comes to zombies, vampires, ghosts, demons and other horror creatures, I guess I tend to find werewolves among the least interesting of the bunch. An American Werewolf in London and Dog Soldiers are both entertaining movies. They're probably the best two werewolf movies I've seen, but that has more to do with the lack of competition than anything.
I agree that they're among the best werewolf films and, like you, I don't think there's much competition.

I like Freddy Krueger and the premise of Nightmare on Elm Street more than the movie itself, but it's an okay movie and my second favorite of the series (Dream Warriors is number one, although I haven't seen New Nightmare, which many people praise).
I'd have New Nightmare third, after the original and the third.

I watched Dawn of the Dead for the first time earlier this year. I liked it a lot, but I prefer Night of the Living Dead
You're wrong, but I still like you.

Welcome to the human race...
I've not seen Cabin In The Woods and I still know almost nothing about it (it has a twist/surprisng ending, I think) so I've not seen that one.
Well, the twist is in the premise, but trust me when I say "the less you know, the better". I remember when it first came out in cinemas and I (having already seen it once) was talking it up for my best friend and he was about to look up a trailer (which spoils the "twist") when I told him "no, don't, it'll be better if you don't know what's about to happen". Needless to say, we saw it together and he thought it was awesome. In any case, it's worth at least one viewing even from a seasoned horror veteran.

Scream (1996)

Someone's Taken Their Love Of Scary Movies One Step Too Far!

I can't count how many times I've seen this film. I taped it off TV one night when I was younger and watched it dozens of times. This film redefined the genre.

It walks the line of parody / comedy / horror perfectly.

I can't say the same for the sequels, except the 4th one, which was surprisingly good, but the original is just too damn good to question. A simple mask bought at a costume shop is now iconic in the horror genre and everyone involved hasn't been in anything as good since, or before.

Evil Dead II (1987)

Kiss Your Nerves Good-Bye!

This sequel is everything the original did, only better.

With a bit more humour thrown in, this one holds up better than The Evil Dead, Ash has become the BAD-ASS character that we all know and love and my love for Sam Raimi as a director is solidified.

NOT A REMAKE, but a sequel, it ups the blood, the body count, the horror and the evil. Replacing the demon under the cellar is Henrietta, Ted Raimi in full body suit. I LOVE the mistakes this film makes with continuity, the seeing of the wires, it just adds to the weird obsessed love I have with this film.

Alien (1979)

In Space No One Can Hear You Scream

One of the earliest R-rated films I saw. I remember watching it at my uncles on VHS at a christmas party when everyone else was in the other room. The film sequence with Ripley in here underwear was oddly HOT for me. I look back now and not so much.

Patience is what makes this film work, then pure terror. A terrific alien creature and the right amount of isolation makes this film not only a classic, but a masterpiece of science fiction and horror.

While the sequel is more action oriented, I'd say either one of them easily switch between each other as my favourite of the series.

The Thing (1982)

The Ultimate in Alien Terror

Who can you trust when anyone can be an alien?

Amazing effects that are just weird enough to still be believable today (much better than the remake/prequel). Kurt Russell teaming with his director of choice, Carpenter, is a badass yet again.

Great atmosphere, great fear and tension and an uneasy, yet memorable score, make this film a must watch. It rivals Alien as the go to sci/fi horror film.

The Evil Dead (1981)

The Ultimate Experience In Grueling Terror

Yes, the sequel is the one that everyone prefers.

Yes the sequel does everything better.

But damn, this movie changed my life.

It made me love the horror genre.

It made me WANT to become a filmmaker.

It made me become a cult film lover.

I LOVE this movie. I've read everything I can about the making of the film. There is just something about a group of friends, going out into the woods, shooting a film with next to no money and making one of the scariest most memorable horror films of all-time that makes me love it. You see the unique camera movement that Raimi does here, it's just something that hasn't really been done before.

I respect this film.

Can't say I'm surprised, but can't say I'm disappoint either.

Near Dark (1987)

...pray for daylight.

Another Bill Paxton entry, this time he's a blood sucking vampire who hates em when the ain't shaved.

When a farmer's son is bitten by a beautiful vampire, he reluctantly joins their group.

Paxton steals the show in this film, he gives a wild and fun performance in a vampire pack led by Lance Henriksen. Bigelow directed this vamp flick and nicely avoids making this "just another vampire film". My one complaint comes with the blood transfusion of an ending, what a bummer to an otherwise, fun vampire film.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

They're coming to get your Barbara

Romero introduced us to the zombie genre we love today. Did he invent zombie movies? Hell no, but he crafted it in such a way that no one can deny he's the king of the genre.

Night of the Living Dead is low budget as hell and not very scary, but it's important. What Romero achieved with so little is inspiring. The film would go on to spawn many sequels, remakes and imitations.

Halloween: H20 (1998)

20 years ago, HE changed the face of Halloween. Tonight, he's back!

Oh my God, how could he? He didn't did he? Yes he did. H20 is rated higher than Night of the Living Dead. Why? It's not because H20 is the better film, I simply enjoyed it more. Night of the Living Dead is is up there more for the impact and importance it had then anything else.

What could have and should have been the last entry into this series, is ruined by what follows. Resurrection is trash, H20 is good trash.

Halloween: H20 isn't a good film, but as a horror film and as an entry in the Halloween series, it's one of the better flicks.

The best looking Myers since the original, the most intimidating since the original and the most fun since the original. Keep in mind, I haven't seen Halloween II. H20 is fun, the deaths are goofy but Curtis gives it her all here. 20 years later, she has moved on...barely. She still has nightmares and visions of The Shape. Well...he's back. Tracking her down, as he does, and killing those in his way. H20 is pure popcorn entertainment.
God, I haven't seen Halloween H20 in a LONG time...I think I need to re-watch that one.

Nice wrap-up to the list. Dog Soldiers is probably one of my favorite movies of all-time, never mind horror, but it's high on the list of horror also. Just a great, horrific, humorous, action-packed good time of a movie. Plus, the star is Kevin McKidd, who is one of the stars of TV's "Grey's Anatomy" and barely recognizable as the same star of the earlier werewolf film. Plus, two more of my favorite character actors, Sean Pertwee, and especially Liam Cunningham, who also starred in Neil Marshall's Centurion and is featured in "Game of Thrones."

"Evil Dead II," "Alien," "The Thing," "Dawn of the Dead," "An American Werewolf in London," "Dead Alive," "The Shining," "Fright Night" and all the previous entries on the list...just a fine list there, Suspect. Thanks for the fun!

I have to return some videotapes...
While I enjoy Fright Night I wouldn't put it over Shining, but thats just my opinion I guess. Mad respect tho for putting the original Evil Dead as your favorite horror film.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I've only just noticed this thread, but good work suspect. I've just started a horror section in my review thread so this thread helps me out on what movies to watch .

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "