The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Finally stumbled across the Darkmoon Blade covenant in Dark Souls 3. Always my go-to covenant, I was starting to wonder if it was even in the game! Loving the fact that you don't have to take up a ring slot to stay active on invasion defense. I am having fun running phasing into other players games to help defend against nasty PVP invaders. Not sure how many kills i need to get the Darkmoon Blade miracle, but it was 30 in the original game.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah, I felt exactly the same about Alien Isolation - Great vibe if you're a fan of the movies but no fun at all to play.
Can only imagine the horror in VR!

Hiding in an imaginary cupboard...

Patch NEWZZ!

PUBG got a big patch yesterday which improved the performance enormously for people with mid range machines. Please, someone else buy this game. Best shooter I've played in years and possibly the best online competitive shooter I've ever seen.
Yeah alright, if it goes on sale

(Weirdly the Paypal deal says I used it when I made my £20+ purchase, although I see no evidence of a reduction anywhere. Hmph).

The People's Republic of Clogher
Check your Paypal account details? It didn't show up for me Steam-side, saying I'd paid full price, but the discount is there in Paypal.

Thanks for the opinions about Mad Max. I bought it on sale awhile ago and started playing, and it seemed promising. But from what I'm hearing it doesn't sound like much of an open-world game, or have that fun, addictive "conquer all the pins on the map" thing, either. I'll probably scrap it, then, or maybe play it once more just to be sure.

In the Beginning...
RE: Open world games

Play The Witcher 3!!
This.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. It sounds like Mad Max isn't much worth my time and Alien: Isolation is, but only if I think I'll enjoy running and hiding.

So I might just give Elite Dangerous a go.

Thanks for the opinions about Mad Max. I bought it on sale awhile ago and started playing, and it seemed promising. But from what I'm hearing it doesn't sound like much of an open-world game, or have that fun, addictive "conquer all the pins on the map" thing, either. I'll probably scrap it, then, or maybe play it once more just to be sure.
It has a decent 'smash the totem towers' mechanic for area control, which can be fun to do on the fly, and the car-based take on base scouting and assaulting isn't bad. It also does the 'capture the tower' thing ok, in terms of finding balloons from which you can scout the local area with a telescope. But it's very weak on the actual character of most of the locations. I felt more desire to see the different 'biomes' rather than the building and community locations themselves. It's definitely not a 'rich story' open world at all. Like really at all.

I'd def say it's worth charging around in for bit though, until you unlock the grappling hook, and take on a convoy that's a bit beyond you. Worth persevering until that point

WARNING: spoilers below
It could go either way, really. The childhood stories seem to suggest they were twins. The different childhood homes, experiences and such. But at some point the line starts to blur and who knows what to believe anymore. Maybe the bit about one of the "twins" living with the midwife was Hannah making up a story for the reason she no longer lived at home. Due to her parents dying of "food poisoning".

Other reasons that make me think it's in her head is when early on she states that maybe all the stories she told the police were just that, stories. There's also her constant confusion as to what's real or not. Plus, the story about one of them living in the attic and the husband never catching on is pretty far-fetched. The STD bit was interesting, also. Hannah claimed she was getting sick because she was pregnant, but it's too convenient. I think another thing were the questions they asked her. She was pretty defensive when telling them she never cheated or had multiple partners, hence the STD.

But yeah, great game. Personally, I really like the fact that you never really know. I'm sure I still have a ton of videos I've yet to discover.
WARNING: "Her Story" spoilers below
I'm a bit embarrassed now that it never even crossed my mind that it could have been split personalities. It's weird that I never thought about it, because the works that I'd compare it to all have that vague question of face value real story vs psychological construct.

My gut reaction is still twins, but that might just be because that's the interpretation that's sat with me for so long. Also because I'm kind of bored of split personality type twists, so I might just be "choosing" twins because it's more satisfying.

Well, overall more satisfying. Having it be split personalities introduces some interesting ideas like whether or not the murdered husband knew about the split and whether he may have liked interacting with two versions of his wife or if he was just playing along (not knowing it could put him in danger).

Great game, it's one of my very first recommendations to people looking for a short but good game.

The split personalities thing didn't occur to me until after I'd finished playing the game, either. I won't say it's impossible, but I think the twins explanation is much simpler and far more supported by the facts (otherwise, the sleeve/tattoo stuff is just a deliberate red herring).

And yes, tremendous game!

So I might just give Elite Dangerous a go.
Ok, I've given my traditional warning of 'better later', I've done my civic duty. Better now than never though . Welcome to space

If you need any tips, or subliminal advice on which political group to side with, head to this thread...

^^^clickage^^^

I'm a bit embarrassed now that it never even crossed my mind that it could have been split personalities. It's weird that I never thought about it, because the works that I'd compare it to all have that vague question of face value real story vs psychological construct.

My gut reaction is still twins, but that might just be because that's the interpretation that's sat with me for so long. Also because I'm kind of bored of split personality type twists, so I might just be "choosing" twins because it's more satisfying.

Well, overall more satisfying. Having it be split personalities introduces some interesting ideas like whether or not the murdered husband knew about the split and whether he may have liked interacting with two versions of his wife or if he was just playing along (not knowing it could put him in danger).

Great game, it's one of my very first recommendations to people looking for a short but good game.

WARNING: spoilers below
As I said, it could go either way. It's one of the great aspects of the game, because by the end of it you still aren't sure what to believe. But, man, did it leave its mark.

I looked over my old thoughts [1],[2][3],[4] on Mad Max and I think this would be a fairer summary:

* It's a super pretty game.

* Some of the locations are actually quite idiosyncratic, I'd forgotten that.

* The problem is that the on foot stuff isn't as good or varied as the car stuff, so feels like a drag in comparison when you're capping a base interior, even if it's all passable Arkham stuff, with throwable boom sticks thrown in.

* The 'snag that area' completionist side of it is probably one of the better aspects. The car's the only innovative aspect to that, but it complements it well.

* The narrative world building is poop.

* Basically the 'man + car versus world' stuff is pretty cool, and teeters towards novel at points, but as the game progress the cookie cutter nature of all the other core stuff 'wins out'.

* I gave it a
in the end.

Pulsar is just ace

It's not precisely a looker, but what they've saved on visual simplicity they seem to have spent on seeding the galaxy with oddities and building a fun spread of mechanisms. Once you've ejected the average trolls out of the server airlock ('Stop turning the oxygen off Jeremy!') it's a cavalcade of Star Trek style exploration and misadventure

We beamed down to one planet and were genuinely baffled and amused to find ourselves on a giant snow-lashed train...

These ground sections are kinda basic (in this case mainly about unearthing turrets hidden in odd places and jetpacking to find the best route down the train), but they manage to conjure up atmosphere, and add variety to the red alert carnage and co-op of the ship. Can see many fun mishaps happening in this game

So the Super Nintendo mini is going to contain the previously unreleased Star Fox 2. It's even advertised on the box! If you thought the NES Classic was hard to find, this is probably going to be much worse.

The line-up is pretty great:
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Yoshi’s Island

The line-up is pretty great:
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Yoshi’s Island

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
In a purely selfish and not serious at all manner...

I wish those box stores would hurry up and go out of business so non-employees could buy these and inflate them on eBay.

That Star Fox 2 is a major coup regardless of whether it is worth playing or not.
The fact that there is a Mario Kart on here merits it for the infinite replayability.

Might get the new SNES if Nintendo actually bothers to have a steady supply this time. I recall them being impossible to preorder and buy at launch then later on were still an issue trying to get well after the holidays up until Nintendo announced they were ceasing production of them. Probably shouldn't hold my breath though, since Nintendo never produces enough of anything and prefers for resellers to make all the money.

Well, Nintendo have stated that there will be "significantly more" SNES Classics than there were NES Classics, however they are only guaranteeing that it will be shipping from September 28th until the end of December. Since the NES mini was discontinued just months after release, they would at least be remaining consistent if the new one also disappeared early in 2018.