Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them

And people said that JK Rowling was done with Potter. The writing's been on the wall for years that JK wasn't satisfied. And this new series of films will take her wizarding world in an entirely new direction.

The year is 1926 and Newt Scamander has just completed a global excursion to find and document an extraordinary array of magical creatures. Arriving in New York for a brief stopover, he might have come and gone without incident...were it not for a No-Maj (American for Muggle) named Jacob, a misplaced magical case, and the escape of some of Newt's fantastic beasts, which could spell trouble for both the wizarding and No-Maj worlds.

The Wizarding World is rejuvenated in this spin off film, set in the 20s. Magical society is still hidden, but under different circumstances. The film overall moves nicely, and is a lot lighter than David Yates's other hits as director of Potter. However it lacks the majesty and magical feel the Harry Potter series really nailed. The positives are strong however; The Main four are strong and have terrific chemistry. Eddie Redmayne nails the lead role perfectly as Newt. He's geekish, but brave at the right moments. His curiosity for magical creatures really shows, as well as care and love for weird, wondrous things. Dan Fogler as Jacob is also very good; A different muggle character from what you're used to in this world. Curious, in disbelief, but reacts well and fast to the events taking place. The two females are also very good. Katherine Waterston as Tina is great. Not as flashy as some of Rowling's other female characters, but definitely still crucial and great to watch on screen. Lastly is Alison Sudol as Queenie, who is a very quirky but charming character. She plays an important role in the team, and develops a real interest in Jacob. Lastly I want to talk about Colin Farell as Graves. I thought his character was really interesting as well as being very secretive. I won't reveal spoilers, other than he's something hiding a fair amount of secrets.

Another thing to note is the visuals. They exceed the potter effects by a large margin, and actually retain some aspects of magical wonder lost in the darker editions of the potter series. The design of the beasts and birds throughout the film are gorgeous and certainly worthy of an oscar nomination, perhaps even a win. One negative however is David Yates. I think compared to other potter directors, he's the weakest one, strengthened only by good source material. But I went and rewatched a selection of the potter films (Goblet Of Fire to Deathly Hallows II) and Order Of The Phoenix really stands out in a bad way. Yates's camera work isn't very remarkable, and some of the performances in his films aren't that strong, if not kind of bad. A nitpick, but still one to note.

Overall, Fantastic Beasts is a good entertaining film with strong visuals, new interesting characters, setting the story for new wizarding adventure.

Rating - 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...La La Land

Intro: Destined to sweep the oscars this coming sunday, La La Land has become the film of the moment. However, it's caused a division between those who adore it, and those who detest it. You can't find any middle ground with this film. There's no "It's Ok" crowd whatsoever. So, what do I think?

Logline: Mia, an aspiring actress, serves lattes to movie stars in between auditions and Sebastian, a jazz musician, scrapes by playing cocktail party gigs in dingy bars, but as success mounts they are faced with decisions that begin to fray the fragile fabric of their love affair, and the dreams they worked so hard to maintain in each other threaten to rip them apart.

The Cast: Its pretty obvious to everyone now that Emma Stone & Ryan Gosling have strong chemistry. This is their third film together with their third filmmaker, proving that creative talent love the idea of pairing them together to capture the audience's imagination. And to me, this is by far their strongest performance together. The material shows off a wide variety of skills and emotions, as both Stone & Gosling have personal experience to fall back on. Stone shines and Gosling is glorious, both pulling out all the stops for a brilliant relationship arc together. Additional performances include a good cameo by JK Simmons, harking back to his Whiplash role from 2014.

The Score: As its pretty clear by now, music is Chazelle's strong point. Composer Justin Hurwitz delivers a beautiful, lush filled score that truly harkens back to the classic period of musicals, whilst keeping the material grounded in reality and today's contemporary society. And it works. The songs are fantastic, and really get your feet tapping. Another Day Of Sun, Somewhere In The Crowd, City Of Stars, and A Lovely Night are the signature songs that really give the film its identity, No doubt Hurwitz will bag the oscar this coming sunday.

The Cinematography: Another obvious technical skill to note is the cinematography. Linus Sandgren shots LA in upmost perfect fashion. The gorgeous colours of the sky, the night scenes, a tour across alternative spots of LA, as well as grasping what makes LA, well, LA. Like the score, it gives the film a personality and helps make it stand out from other works.

Overall Thoughts: La La Land is a joy to behold. A truly top mark piece of work which will deliver awards glory, and progress all involved to higher lines of work.

Grade - 99% - A

Loved your review of La La Land...I loved it too, though I was a little shocked by 14 Oscar nominations. Chazelle has a definite sense of what a movie musical should look like and he really delivered here. I think his direction is brilliant and would love to see him win that Oscar...even though the film is the frontrunner for Best Picture, it would not be my choice for that award, but I wouldn't be shocked or disgusted if it won. Really enjoyed your review.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Neon Demon

Intro: Following Drive, I instantly became an admirer of Nicolas Winding Refn and his work. With parallels from Stanley Kubrick, he's a filmmaker whose approach is more focused on the visual, than the story and characters. So does The Neon Demon live up to expectations?

Logline: The sixteen year-old aspiring model Jesse arrives in Los Angeles expecting to be a successful model. The aspirant photographer Dean takes photos for her portfolio and dates her. Jesse befriends the lesbian makeup artist Ruby and then the envious models Gigi and Sarah in a party. Meanwhile the agency considers Jesse beautiful with a "thing" that makes her different and she is sent to the professional photographer Jack. Jesse attracts he attention of the industry and has a successful beginning of career. But Ruby, Gigi and Sarah are capable to do anything to get her "thing".

Performances: There are three performances that are worth mentioning in this film. First is of course Elle Fanning who leads the film, and like most performances in Refn's films, is silent and discreet. But through physical movement, her change in character comes swiftly. Keanu Reeves was a surprise for me. A really different performance from what I was used to in other films. Thirdly is Jenna Malone who I've always really enjoyed, and definitely delivers a creepy performance in this film.

Technical: Much like Only God Forgives & Drive, the film's cinematography is the true highlight of the film, mixing both the poverty and glamour of LA. Cinematographer Natasha Braier does a splendid job of lighting and camera movements and creates a slick but gorgeous series of images. I love the subtly of the editing too. Slow but effective.

However: I feel the film suffers at points. I feel Refn tries to be too experimental at points. In particular with the walkway scenes, which just go on and on. As well as that, it feels at times like a repeat with Refn's work, particularly with Only God Forgives. Similar cinematography, style, pacing, slow motion movement, etc. Also I found the ending just weird overall. Anti-climatic and just left me puzzled.

Overall Thoughts: Its strength's shine strongly, but The Neon Demon is not Refn's strongest work by any means. Its visuals are great, but its story and pacing suffers. But still a good watch none the less.

Rating - 81% - A-

Loved your review of La La Land...I loved it too, though I was a little shocked by 14 Oscar nominations. Chazelle has a definite sense of what a movie musical should look like and he really delivered here. I think his direction is brilliant and would love to see him win that Oscar...even though the film is the frontrunner for Best Picture, it would not be my choice for that award, but I wouldn't be shocked or disgusted if it won. Really enjoyed your review.
I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Lady MacBeth

Director William Oldroyd’s debut feature Lady Macbeth is a striking and thrilling feature that takes a powerless young woman, and through a series of gruesome dark events, evolves her into a strong powerful figure that embraces authority and strength within her household.

The film takes place in 1865, beginning with our lead character Katherine (Florence Pugh) being arranged into a loveless marriage to a man twice her age, and placed into a cold, unpleasant patriarchal family that operates a wealthy mine. Katherine’s role is simply to be seen, not heard, which sees her imprisoned indoors at all times, powerless and bored as life continues around her. But instincts soon get the better of her, as she sneaks out into the outdoors, and comes across fellow farmhand Sebastian (Cosmo Jarvis). Quickly, an affair is established which soon is discovered by her husband, leading to a deadly confrontation that begins a tragic set of events, destroying any form of order Katherine entered. But as a result of this, begins to awaken Katherine’s inner strength.

Central to the film’s success and strength is leading actress Florence Pugh. Her performance is both powerful and striking to watch, commanding the audience’s attention throughout, and developing a sensational character arc in less than 90 minutes. She begins the story a powerless, frightened child, and moulds slowly into a powerful mistress cold and fearful by her staff. Beginning in Carol Morley’s The Falling, this is by far a more layered and darker performance, with moments of danger and coldness throughout the film. The camera clearly loves her, as it hardly leaves her face throughout, focused on her on all the pivotal moments, and allowing the audience to see layer after layer build on her as events continue to twist and turn throughout the story.

Directing for the first time is William Oldroyd, whose background lies mostly in theatre. And it shows, as he directs the film like a theatre performance. Long scenes of tension, combined with strong dialogue of emotion, allowing facial expressions and tone to take centre stage. For a film budgeted at £350,000, the film is incredibly realistic in its production design and costume. This is done to the recruitment of Production Designer Jacqueline Abrahams and Holly Waddington, both major talents whose work have been evident on films such as Lincoln (2012), The Lobster (2015), Atonement (2007) and War Horse (2011). Because of this, it doesn’t feel at all too flashy or glamorous, which is often what you may expect in many period stories. It allows the audience to imagine the goings on outside of the house, and allows the events in the house to take centre stage.

Lastly is the supporting cast, which help make the time period more real, creating a selection of characters that best reflect the period, and create people with flaws, strengths and personalities alongside the character of Katherine. Cosmo Jarvis plays the love interest of Katherine, Sebastian. He’s impressive alongside Florence, and goes through an arc similar to Katherine’s but with a more tragic outcome. Naomi Ackie plays Katherine’s tortured maid Anna, a timid soul who is forced to bear witness the terrifying events that Katherine enacts, which leave her mute and afraid. It's a devastating and almost unbearable arc to sit through, but one that leaves you marvelled at Ackie’s remarkable performance.

Lady MacBeth is a film with grit, attitude, darkness, and power. William Oldroyd delivers a spectacular debut, which allows rising stars like Florence Pugh, Cosmo Jarvis, and Naomi Ackie to deliver powerful performances and create a thrilling tale of oppression, sexual desire, trauma, and and the battle for something better.

Rating - 84% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Mustang

Intro: I stumbled upon this film when wandering around the BFI this time last year. The premise intrigued me, and I was interested in this story and where a newcomer filmmaker would take it.

Plot: Early summer. In a village in northern Turkey, Lale and her four sisters are walking home from school, playing innocently with some boys. The immorality of their play sets off a scandal that has unexpected consequences. The family home is progressively transformed into a prison; instruction in homemaking replaces school and marriages start being arranged. The five sisters who share a common passion for freedom, find ways of getting around the constraints imposed on them.

Young Leads: The main drive of this film is the young leads of the story. All but 4 are newcomers, who've never acted on screen before. Despite that, they are very natural, likeable, and full of personality. The main character is Lale played by Gues Sensoy, who I was just completely won over due to her curiosity, her innocence, and her approach to life. The story is told through her POV and she narrates the film too. Tugba Sunguroglu plays Selma who's personal arc is quite an unpleasant one to watch, having been arranged into a marriage without her approval. The wedding scenes show both her and her sister Sonay, played by Ilayda Akdogan, get married and both feel very differently about it.

Commentary: The central issue is one that still plays relevance in different parts of the world. I'm not familiar with it, but it's one that is rooted in a very authoritarian environment. Where women are second to the men, and freedom is often withheld, censored and locked away. The idea of arranged marriage is still common, and it's one which can be unsettling and awkward to watch. Other themes seen in the film include sex, gender roles, depression, and mental health.

Bad Points: When I first watched it, I liked it a lot. However, I felt the praise for the film was a little overboard. There were little flaws there and then, and I felt at points the film slows down a bit before approaching the next turn of events. It's not a major criticism, but it's still something to note.

Overall: Mustang is a solid film, with an important message at its heart. With great performances by young performers, a debut filmmaker with a strong voice, Mustang is a film that really tackles an issue with both moments of colour, and darkness.

Rating - 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Wonder Woman

Intro: Never have we seen a fully funded feature length Wonder Woman film before on this scale. Big budget, special effects galore, glamorous lead, and a compelling story with focus on love, compassion, and teamwork.

Summary: Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, when a pilot crashes on their shores and tells of a massive conflict raging in the outside world, Diana leaves her home, convinced she can stop the threat. Fighting alongside man in a war to end all wars, Diana will discover her full powers and her true destiny.

Cast: The film's main strength is its cast. Gal Gadot is great as Diana, and really creates a role which is multi-dimensional and fun to watch. She begins much like a child that still believes in Santa. Wide-eyed, innocent, and oblivious to the threats of the wider world. But journeying out to the wider world, she begins to see the cruel reality of Earth's troubles and her role in changing the course of Earth's destiny. Gadot is strong on screen, a polished fighter, and convincing as an Amazonian warrior. Chris Pine as Steve Trevor is also very good. He's nowhere near as cocky or arrogant as his take of Captain Kirk is. He's a good companion to Wonder Woman, and their chemistry is convincing on screen. Additional highlights include Ewen Bremmer as Charlie; Connie Nielsen & Robin Wright as Hippolyta & Antiope; Saïd Taghmaoui as Sameer; and Lucy Davis as Etta.

Plot: It's a strong story. Again, it's an origin story, but plays around with time somewhat. The pacing is well done, as we're given dedicated time in Diana's home world to know a fair amount about the Amazonians and Wonder Woman's early years. I enjoyed watching Diana adjust to earth life, and comedically going through the motions of finding the right attire, attitude, and purpose in a very different environment and lifestyle to her home. The film's climax is intense and fun, throwing you into an almost apocalyptic battlefield.

Entertainment Value: Another strength to Wonder Woman is its entertainment value. You're never bored, the plot never slows down, and you leave the theatre satisfied with the results. It's directed by Patty Jenkins, who really knows how to keep the story fun and fresh, without any sense or boredom or over the top moments at any point. It's well written too, with convincing and funny dialogue on the sides.

Overall: Wonder Woman is the best film of the DCEU so far. It's fun, funny, quite horrific in its climax, but it's a great launching vehicle for one of comic book's most iconic female superheroes.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...God Help The Girl

Intro: Not very often do you get a musical set in Glasgow. Not often do you see a film that is very much a love letter to one of the UK's most beautiful and lively cities. Not often do you get a fun, funky, retro film with personality, attitude, and a sense of style attached. God Help The Girl is all of those films.

Summary: Set in Glasgow, Scotland, the film is about a girl called Eve who is in the hospital dealing with some emotional problems and starts writing songs as a way of getting better. Songwriting becomes her way forward, leading her to the City where she meets James and Cassie, two musicians each at crossroads of their own. What follows is a story of renaissance over the course of a long, dream-like Summer.

Songs: The music is often the big decider of a musical, and I'm happy to say that the songs here are very strong. Its indie pop, and really fits the story and overall tone of the film. Fun, light, and quite groovy. It fits the Glasgow music scene and fits the city like a glove. My favourites include: God Help the Girl; The Psychiatrist is In; Perfection as a Hipster; Come Monday Night; I'll Have to Dance with Cassie;

Glasgow: As a resident of Glasgow for 12 years, I just love how director Stuart Murdoch (Also the screenwriter, songwriter, and lead singer of Belle & Sebastian) shoots the city, and brings it to life like no one else can. If you've ever been to Glasgow, you'll experience a truly magical city full of life and wonder and personality. It has a great music scene, very genre led and well known. And here, you'll see parts of the city that have a rural aspect to it. More greens rather than skyscrapers and office buildings. Glasgow is also very relaxed and low key, not worried about appearances and image, and is presented here as a place that is very chill and easy to get by.

Costumes: Lastly I want to mention the costumes because they are so brilliant, yet simple in this film. Costume Designer Denise Coombes really works wonders here, despite the film's budget. Both Emily Browning & Hannah Murray look absolutely gorgeous on screen, and are dressed with a retro look that blends in well with the story and city scene overall.

Overall: God Help The Girl is one of my favourite films in recent years. A great indie musical with fun songs, great visuals, and a truly relaxing fun film that reminds me of a home away from home.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Spy Kids

Intro: It's often very difficult for kids films to win over the whole family audience, as opposed to half. Spy Kids, however, is one of those films that balance both perfectly, being very imaginative and fun for children but teaching good moral lessons that adults can approve of.

Summary: Gregorio and Ingrid are the two greatest secret agents the world has ever known: masters of disguise, mavens of invention, able to stop wars before they even start. Working for separate countries, they are sent to eliminate their most dangerous enemy...each other. But in an exotic corner of the world when they finally come face to face, they fall in love instead and embark on the most dangerous mission they have ever faced: raising a family. Now nine years later, after their retirement, having exchanged the adventure of espionage for parenthood, Gregorio and Ingrid Cortez are called back in to action. When their former colleagues, the world's most formidable spies, start disappearing one by one, the Cortez's are forced to take on techno-wizard Fegan Floop and his evil, egg-headed sidekick, Minion. But when the unthinkable happens and they too disappear, unfortunately, there are only two people in the world who can rescue them...their kids.

Cast: What's very refreshing of this film is the cast's diversity. The majority is Latino American, and makes the film very unique and not another standard children's film. It adds that certain little flair and culture towards it, whether it's the soft guitar in the score, or the location of the house. I love seeing Antonio Bandereas in this film. He chooses such a wide variety of roles and gives 100% regardless of the film. The kids are great too - Alexa Vega & Daryl Sabara. You buy them both as brother & sister and they play off each other very well.

Entertainment Value: for a kids film, Spy Kids has a high value of entertainment and something for all audiences. I imagine adults can enjoy it as much as kids do as the acting isn't bad enough to be laughed at, nor is the plot too stupid to be analysed to death. The action sequences are fun, and while the effects are dated at points, they're still good enough for you to escape into.

Morals & Themes: But most importantly, Spy Kids has a great moral message attached to it which is family is everything, and teamwork prevails overall. The themes are universal and make the film really stand out on its own. The themes of family, love, and standing up for yourself strengthen the film's story, and are used very well to make the film entertaining.

Overall: Spy Kids is a solid children's film with film action sequences, good use of genre, and a entertainment value very strong to match other children's action films.

Rating - 76% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Amy

Intro: I didn't think much about Amy Winehouse prior to this film, and anything I did think about was mostly negative. But I had seen Senna and loved it a lot, and so being made aware of the filmmaker, as well as seeing the amazing trailer online, I was eager to give this film a shot. And thank god I did, because this film is deserving of every award and praise it got during its run.

Plot: A documentary on the life of Amy Winehouse, the immensely talented yet doomed songstress. We see her from her teen years, where she already showed her singing abilities, to her finding success and then her downward spiral into alcoholism and drugs.

Style: The first thing to talk about is how the film was made, which draws parallels to how Senna was made; Visuals and very few talking heads. With the use of archival footage, mixed with voice over testimonies, it takes the documentary format into new territory, and shows us the rise and fall of Amy Winehouse's life, with backstory from the people who knew her best.

Subject Matter: The film is a standard rise & fall story, with a bleak ending which most people are already aware of. What we learn with this film is just how it all happened. How Amy's destruction was a mixture of her own spiral out of control, with the contribution of the press and loved ones with their own agendas. Drug & alcohol addiction are shown in a horrifying way, as we slowly see the decline of Amy's body and mind in a horrid fashion. There's one image I remember being almost physically sickened at, which I have never encountered before in the cinema.

My Personal Feelings: As the film finished, I felt like I went on an incredible journey. My opinion Amy changed 100% and I now believe that she was an artist that had some much talent and potential, and was cruelly taken away from us too soon. Amy Winehouse made an incredible impact on British music, and was a voice unheard of in the industry. I congratulate Asif Kapadia and everyone involved for making a breathtaking film, and for reaching out to so many people who were unaware or uninformed of Amy Winehouse, and took the time to learn more about her. All praise and awards have been truly deserved.

Overall: I highly recommend Amy. Not just an amazing documentary, but an amazing film. One of the saddest stories I've seen, but told in a beautiful way that will be the gold standard for documentaries to come.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg

Intro: With La La Land's astonishing success last year, one of the films mentioned by Damian Chazelle was The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg, a french musical film made in the 60s. This peaked my interest, and I was eager to see this as soon as I can. But did it live up to the hype?

Plot: This is the story of 16 year-old Genevieve and 20 year-old Guy who are very much in love. Her kindly mother, who runs an umbrella shop, won't hear of her marrying, particularly as Guy has yet to complete his compulsory military service. Genevieve is heartbroken when he leaves for his army service in colonial Algeria and is upset to have received only one letter from him in two months. She's also pregnant. Her mother has a solution to the situation in the form of diamond merchant Roland Cassard who has helped them out in the past. Roland is a kind man who accepts to raise Genevieve's child as his own. By the time Guy returns from Algeria Genevieve is married and the umbrella shop has been sold. Several years later, they meet again.

Music & Lyrics: The key strength of this film is the music. It's fitting and whimsical for its time, and gives the film a very charming personality for the audience to absorb. But at times, I feel the lyrics don't often work, or are a bit clunky at certain points in the story. It's all sung through beginning to end, and there are times where it really doesn't work very well. But when it works, you feel the effect of the mood & tone the film is trying to set to you.

Characters: The two main characters are Guy & Genevieve, played by a young Nino Castelnuovo and Catherine Deneuve. Both have amazing chemistry and you buy into their young, sweet, teenage dream of a relationship, even though the happiness is ultimately short lived. Both actors do very well with the material, and both juggle the highs and lows of love and growing up in different ways, both with light and dark moments. Special shoutout also goes to Anne Vernon as Madame Every, Genevieve's mother, a very nosy and domineering mother, who lets reputation cloud her daughter's true feelings.

Bittersweet: Again, I must reference La La Land, in regarding that they both have similar endings. Bittersweet being the classy word. Without spoiling it, it's an ending which is quite heartbreaking in many ways, but you get a sense that both the main characters are very different people from where they began in the film's start. It's also beautifully shot too, with the snow falling down very elegantly and light. Much like La La Land, both characters leave satisfied but saddened at the same time.

Overall: The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg is a strong solid musical, though with flaws none the less. It's romantic, whimsical, unique, and oh so very very french.

Rating: 75% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Me Before You

Intro: Not exactly a film I had in mind when seeing, but I think I just had some spare time to kill and thought this would be a good one to see. And I was proven to be quite surprised.

Plot: Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick. What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane. Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that. What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of color. And neither of them knows they're going to change each other for all time.

Central Issue: As you may recall, this was a film that was filled with controversy when released. This involved two situations: The first is disability being properly represented in cinema, as well as the film's subject matter revolving around Will's arc. And personally, I don't see much of an issue. One must remember that this is a fictional story, a love story even more. So the romance ultimately comes first, and with that, you try to route for the characters to pull through together. Even though the ending says otherwise...

Emilia Clarke: I think Emilia Clarke is great in this film, playing a very fresh, original, and charming character. For those who follow Game Of Thrones, this is a real departure from a character who at times can be quite miserable and downtrodden (It's GOT, what do you expect). Here, whenever she smiles, it's like a fresh ray of light bursting on screen. She's wonderful, and her character is full of quirky happiness and joy. Hopefully she'd try more of these roles when Game Of Thrones ends. I should also mention the character's costumes in the film, which are really cute, and make Emilia's character more adorable to watch on screen.

Other Cast: While small, its still good. Sam Claflin is great as Will, and has a very strong, devastating character arc which really makes you root for the character. Supporting roles including Charles Dance as the father, who I always enjoy watching. Brendan Coyle as the dad of Lou, Jenna Coleman as Lou's sister, in which you definitely buy the sister relationship really well. Matthew Lewis as Lou's jerky boyfriend, who's a complete departure away from his Harry Potter days. Stephen Peacocke who really does well in this small role, and will hopefully carve a good career in Hollywood. And then funny cameos from Diane Morgan & Joanna Lumley are also fun to spot.

Overall: Me Before You is a charming film, with a great cast, powerful story, and a real wide appeal to anyone with a soft spot for romance films with originality and charm.

Rating: 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Intro: With Disney making Star Wars a relevant cultural phenomenon once again, It's time to review one of its more unique entries, the first of a spin off series titled "Star Wars Stories" with the first being a unique entry that bridges Episode III & IV respectively.

Plot: All looks lost for the Rebellion against the Empire as they learn of the existence of a new superweapon, the Death Star. Once a possible weakness in its construction is uncovered, the Rebel Alliance must set out on a desperate mission to steal the plans for the Death Star. The future of the entire galaxy now rests upon its success.

Cast: Felicity Jones is the lead in this film and really does a good job bringing the character of Jyn Erso to life. However, I didn't really buy her as a rebel in many ways. Her accent was far too clean and posh to be considered someone whose lived off the edges of the galaxy, thinking every day was her last. Diego Luna however was very strong as Cassian, proving to be more grey than most other Star Wars heroes we've seen before. Then the villains of the piece. Ben Mendelsohn as Orson Krenic is a great casting choice, and creates quite an intense atmosphere on screen. Also Darth Vader's small but effective appearance is great, and elevates the film to another level. The final 5 minutes are just breathtaking, the best finale in cinema for a long time. Lastly, I can't forget about Alan Tudyk as K-2SO, who is a vastly different droid to the likes of C3P0; Sarcastic, cynical, and very blunt. But none the less a team player that plays his role well.

Nostalgia/References: What Rogue One does really well is bridge the gap between Episode III & IV. While it's mostly a nod to IV, It's still a handy story to know as it reminds you of the sacrifice that The Rebel Alliance had to go through to ensure that they got the results they needed against The Empire. You get nice cameos & references from star wars characters & lines, as well as strong sense of nostalgia of the past. What Star Wars started as, and where it's going forward. It makes the film more unique and fun, allowing audiences to enjoy the ride that makes Star Wars films so much fun to watch, as well as be treated to new twists in the universe.

The Bad: Rogue One isn't short of one or two problems. I think the second act of the film lags slightly, to the point where you really want to move on into the third act. I also think some of the team members were a bit too 1D for my taste, as well as the fact that a lot of the action scenes were underwhelming during Act 2.

Overall: Rogue One is a fun film in the Star Wars Saga. With the strains of the Skywalker Saga off its back, it's free to be its own unique entry, and one that pulls no punches, and is packed with twists, turns, surprises and fantastic action along the way.

Rating: 90% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...La Famille Belier

Intro: I found this film in a second-hand DVD shop, and because I wanted to watch more French cinema, I purchased it. And after watching it, It's definitely one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time film wise.

Summary: The Béliers are ordinary people: Rodolphe and Gigi are married, have two children and run their farm for a living. Ordinary people? Well, almost... since three of them, Dad, Mum and their son Quentin, are deaf. Which is not the case of the boy's big sister, Paula. And not only can she speak but her music teacher scouts her beautiful voice as well. He offers her to sit for the entrance exam of the Maîtrise de Radio France, a vocal elite choir in Paris. Her parents, who rely on her as their ears and mouth in the outside world, take the news badly. Paula, who hates the idea of betraying her parents and her brother, goes through a painful dilemma...

Story: I found this to be a brilliant, yet simple well told story. You immediately fall in love with the Belier family, and really see that despite the fact 3/4 of the family are deaf, life is very much normal for them. The film's narrative flows well, showcasing the story all through Paula's POV. All of the characters are unique with their own little traits, and I enjoyed seeing them interact as the multiple plots intertwined pretty well.

Louane Emera: The star of the film is easily Louane Emera. The film's young star started out in The French Voice, doing pretty decently before transitioning into films. With both a blossoming career in music and film, she's certainly a rising star in France. And in this film, she's just charming and lovely to watch. A very natural screen presence, and carries the film's emotional weight very well. I look forward to seeing her in more films coming up.

Message: As someone with a mental disability myself, I take to disability films personally. I don't know any deaf people personally, but the film was very clear in announcing the amount of training and learning about French sign language the cast has to go through. I like the fact that it's a story about following your dreams and potential, and fighting for something stronger and better for yourself and everyone around you.

Overall: This is an amazing film and one I highly recommend to those who are favourable to foreign cinema. It has a charming story, great cast, and is a more positive french film with more heart and charm than anything else.

Rating: 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Certain Women

Intro: It was curiosity that made me go see this film, curiosity that made me buy a ticket, and made me see a screening with a Q&A with the director. I can honestly say that the anticipation to seeing this film was a lot more engaging than the film itself.

Summary: Certain Women drops us into a handful of intersecting lives across Montana. A lawyer (Laura Dern) tries to defuse a hostage situation and calm her disgruntled client (Jared Harris), who feels slighted by a workers' compensation settlement. A married couple (Michelle Williams and James Le Gros) breaks ground on a new home but exposes marital fissures when they try to persuade an elderly man to sell his stockpile of sandstone. A ranch hand (Lily Gladstone) forms an attachment to a young lawyer (Kristen Stewart), who inadvertently finds herself teaching a twice-weekly adult education class, four hours from her home.

Characters & Setting: For one, the film has very believable characters, ones that you would likely encounter in a world like this. Some are mothers, others are students, and they're all led by very simple wants, desires, and goals. Whether it's love, power, or kindness. Performances are fine, but nothing sensational by any means. The setting was good too. I like films set in small towns. It has a sense of privacy, mystery, relaxation, and calm. Away from the noise of cities, and something very stripped back and simple.

Dull: The stories sadly are very dull and uninteresting to watch. One is set about taking land, and doesn't really reveal anything interesting about these characters. Another is about a love story, without it really being about love at all. More like desire and obsession and loneliness. The film lacks any excitement and tension and is just going through the motions as a result.

Overall: Certain Women is boring, but has interesting things to it, something I keep running into when watching underwhelming films. This is just another of those films.

Rating: 52% - B-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Russian Ark

Intro: Many people have praised this film's excellence on a technical scale due to its one long shot that goes on through beginning to end. Having now watched it myself, I can say that it is a film to be experienced, even if you might not like it.

Plot: An unseen man regains consciousness, not knowing who or where he is. No one seems to be able to see him, except the mysterious man dressed in black. He eventually learns through their discussions that this man is a 19th-century French aristocrat, who he coins the "European". This turn of events is unusual as the unseen man has a knowledge of the present day. The two quickly learn that they are in the Winter Palace of the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, the European who has a comprehensive knowledge of Russian history to his time. As the two travel through the palace and its grounds, they interact with people from various eras of Russian history, either through events that have happened at the palace or through the viewing of artefacts housed in the museum. Ultimately, the unseen man's desired journey is to move forward, with or without his European companion.

Experimental: Because of the method its shot, Russian Ark is widely seen as experimental in its nature. The one shot angle works, and the film flows as if you're a part of the experience. A ghost floating through time, watching little moments in history, interconnect with each other. It's beautiful. Really really beautiful filmmaking. And one which can be like early virtual reality in some ways. The man in black was an unofficial guide of sorts, helping you through the many timelines and scenarios as he walks. Helping you, the character make sense of it all.

Costumes: I for one think the costumes are fantastic. Very well detailed and beautiful to watch. The 19th century is always an intriguing century to look at fashion-wise, and it's here that we get a good sense of high society through fashion. The women look beautiful, The men look smart and powerful, creating a mysterious world in a mysterious place.

However: The ending drifts a bit too long, as we walk with the people at the end of the dance. You sort of wish you could cut to the chase and end the film, but because of the film's experimental, you drift slowly at the same pace of the crowd. And...it takes its toll.

Overall: Russian Ark is a must-see film for studying purposes, or because of its such a crucial film in cinematic history. Give it a watch, and see what you think.

Rating: 99% - A