1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

That sounds horrible! My cut is nothing in comparison to that.

Now that I don't have to keep my finger quite as elevated, I think I can use both hands to type as long as I keep that finger up and use my middle finger to press whatever keys I would normally use that one for. I'm testing that method typing this, and it seems to work pretty well. Definitely need to keep using the mouse with my other hand though.
You'll get use to using the mouse in your left hand. You're right handed I take it?

I use to do so much computer photo editing that I developed a tendon problem in my right hand and had to switch the mouse to the left hand. At first it was hard, but now I prefer it that way. I'm right handed and it's much faster for me to have the mouse in my left hand.

my god, I don't know if it's SAFE to join in this conversation. I might walk away and smash a digit somehow

since I'm a guy, I'll make a Guy Suggestion about the bleeding, Cosmic. "put some super glue on it,"
Since that was how super glue came to be. Quick triage during, I think, World War II.
Of course, I have NO IDEA how to get the stuff back off once the cut seals up, though lol
Wow! really, damn I didn't know they used super glue for wounds in WWII, that's wild. I swear I learn something new every day. Ed have you ever super glued a cut?

my god, I don't know if it's SAFE to join in this conversation. I might walk away and smash a digit somehow

since I'm a guy, I'll make a Guy Suggestion about the bleeding, Cosmic. "put some super glue on it,"
Since that was how super glue came to be. Quick triage during, I think, World War II.
Of course, I have NO IDEA how to get the stuff back off once the cut seals up, though lol
No way Ed I don't wanna see no super glue. I once glued all my 10 fingers with some paper, trying to rub off a few drops of it. Then trying to divide them under running water i ripped bits of skin and it didn't look pretty.

You'll get use to using the mouse in your left hand. You're right handed I take it?
I'm left-handed (that's how I nearly chopped my right finger off haha). I use a mouse with my right hand, since any game I'd pay with a keyboard and mouse is not designed with left-handed players in mind. Also, all the computers back in school were set up in such a way that you couldn't move the mouse to the other side of the keyboard (the cord was super short), so I originally used my right hand anyway. When I got my own computer I did have a left-handed set-up for awhile, but switched it back due to the aforementioned gaming problem haha.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Wow! really, damn I didn't know they used super glue for wounds in WWII, that's wild. I swear I learn something new every day. Ed have you ever super glued a cut?
Forgot where I heard that. But, allegedly, they were looking for a quick way to close up wounds in the field and the end result was the birth of super glue. Or something along that lines. . .
And I have done it in my late teens when I was a factory rat. If I remember right, I simply picked off during the course of the next few weeks. lol
No way Ed I don't wanna see no super glue. I once glued all my 10 fingers with some paper, trying to rub off a few drops of it. Then trying to divide them under running water i ripped bits of skin and it didn't look pretty.
YOUCH!! That had to suck
I do believe that definitely ties, or possibly beats CR's cut to the bone story.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

I might watch this one again. I had a hard time in the beginning buying into the story, and that kept me from becoming completely engaged for over half the movie. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, but my appreciation for it has grown more upon reflection to the point that I now think it's a great movie that could become a personal favorite if I saw it again.

I became interested immediately with Lucy telling her mother-in-law and sister-in-law that she was leaving. What really had me curious here was the reasoning behind the harsh feelings of the sister-in-law. This character reminded me of the wicked witch from The Wizard of Oz. Unless I missed it, there never seemed to be a reason given for her apparent disdain or lack of understanding for Lucy's decision. So she moves away, and it seemed a bit cliched with the agent trying to talk her out of the house since he knew it's history. What wasn't cliched was Lucy wanting the house even though she knew it was haunted. This seemed a bit far fetched to me. When Daniel appeared in human form, this was when I started really having a hard time believing in everything. From there it was just the two main wonderful characters and performances that warmed me up and won me over. Just to be clear, I loved Tierney from the start. I mean, I thought she was special in this playing a woman that any man could fall in love with. It actually wasn't until George Sanders came into
the picture that I started to fall in love with the movie as a whole. I find him to be a very charismatic performer, and the unlikely love triangle was a huge plus for me.

This is an incredibly charming movie that is both moving and humorous, and the timing of these characteristics are impeccable. The lead and supporting performances are all exceptional, and it is visually and aurally beautiful. I thought the ending was amazing. My rating reflects this one viewing which started off shaky, but I feel it is better than that.

+

enjoyed the review, (read the first and last paragraph and half of the second about plot, since I haven't seen it yet) but I'll be thinking about the wicked witch when comparing the sister when I do.

Wicked witch? I thought of the step sister and mother in law as the step sisters from Cinderella. That's what they reminded me of, especially the step sister.

Come to think of it I'd said the same thing about Beauty and the Beast Wicked inlaws must be a common theme for this Hof!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Wicked witch? I thought of the step sister and mother in law as the step sisters from Cinderella. That's what they reminded me of, especially the step sister.

Come to think of it I'd said the same thing about Beauty and the Beast Wicked inlaws must be a common theme for this Hof!

When I watched Beauty and the Beast, for a while, I thought I was watching the wrong movie. With the wicked step-sisters and the wicked step-mother, it felt more like Cinderella than Beauty and the Beast.

When I watched Beauty and the Beast, for a while, I thought I was watching the wrong movie. With the wicked step-sisters and the wicked step-mother, it felt more like Cinderella than Beauty and the Beast.
You too! good I thought I was the only one.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
You too! good I thought I was the only one.

I even restarted the movie the first time I watched it to double-check the credits and make sure that it was the right movie. The first part of the movie didn't feel anything like any version of Beauty and the Beast that I've ever seen before.

But it got better as it went along, and I ended up liking the movie a lot.

I guess the wicked step sister were removed from subsequent adaptations of Beauty and the Beast since they're apparently too common a theme haha.

It's been like, a week now, but I actually do have a bit written for the Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I can type fine in short bursts, but I find my hand cramps up a lot when I try to type too much or too fast. I don't really even have that much to say, but it's still taking a long time to get it out.

Working double shifts like I did yesterday doesn't help give me time to finish it either.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)
Dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Starring: Gene Tierney, Rex Harrison, Edna Best

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir almost effortlessly blends fantasy elements, romance, comedy, and drama without coming across as uneven or directionless. Up until the final act, I found the film to be quite hilarious, and as such I enjoyed the first half of the film quite a bit more than the second, since much of the witty, amusing dialogue is swept aside for a more dramatic conclusion. Because of that change in focus, I would've preferred if there had been a high level of uncertainty throughout the film regarding whether or not the ghost was real. Despite that preference for ambiguity, I was still pleased by the film as it was, and found it highly entertaining.

The banter between Mrs. Muir and the Captain is really what made this film for me. Both characters are incredibly stubborn, with Lucy refusing to be intimated since she finally gets to be her own person after a lifetime of doing what society expected of her. While Daniel is rather crude and headstrong, he does have a weakness that works to Lucy's advantage. The dialogue between Lucy and Miles Fairly is also well written, with Sanders doing a great job infusing the character with charm while he walks a fine line between being suave and overly assertive.

The musical score complements the mood of each scene quite beautifully, and the cinematography is great as well. I particularly liked how the interiors of the cottage were filmed when Lucy first arrives with the real estate agent. There were these shadows that loomed over everything without obscuring the rooms, giving it this sense of loneliness at its core instead of coming across as menacing. I had actually forgotten much about this film, so I'm really glad it was nominated.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	31678  

The Sea Wolf (1941)

I love a good seafaring movie. There's just something about a ship on the sea, that sends the imagination soaring. In a way the ocean is like the vastness of the universe and a sailing ship is adrift in a strange world, where nature and not man commands.

Edward G. Robinson is one of the greats! He's equally at home playing a sadistic power mad sea captain or a more, quiet reflective man, which was closer to his true personality. Eddie makes this movie, he was my favorite by far. He showed a complexity to the Captain that made him much more compelling than had he just been a purely evil man.

I'm not the biggest fan of John Garfield, I think he's limited in his acting range, sometimes he's cast in a film where his abilities can soar, but not here. I found him two-dimensional and the script doesn't help him either, as we never learn why he's so angry!...well except that he's John Garfield and he's always angry!

I didn't really care for Ida Lupino here either. Maybe it's the script but she doesn't add much and her romance with Garfield seemed to come out of the blue. I read that Ida Lupino urged the screen writer to include romance scenes for her with Garfield, perhaps that's why they seem not to fit the movie.

I did like Alexander Knox who looked like Humphrey Bogart, so I was amused when I learned his characters first name was indeed Humphrey. He looked like Boogie but reminded me of Leslie Howard.

But..besides all of this I still liked the movie as it had the great Eddie Robinson and the ship scenes really looked good. I did enjoy it. Thanks Ed!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheSeaWolf 1941.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	31688  

I had a good feeling you'd enjoy The Sea Wolf, @Citizen Rules. And yes, Garfield does seem to be angry in anything he plays, doesn't he? LOL
This is becoming my favorite of Robinson's along with Key Largo. He definitely had a lot to work with an such a wider parameter for a character.

Really enjoyed your review of The Ghost and Mrs Muir, @CosmicRunaway. All these great reviews of this movie is bringing more and more anticipation to seeing it.

For myself, I STILL haven't written up my review of Odd Man Out - as stated before, a really great film for me. And last night I watched Gentleman Jim and didn't see the final 10 minutes, so I'll have to wrap that up. Another film I really enjoyed.

I had a good feeling you'd enjoy The Sea Wolf, @Citizen Rules. And yes, Garfield does seem to be angry in anything he plays, doesn't he? LOL
This is becoming my favorite of Robinson's along with Key Largo. He definitely had a lot to work with an such a wider parameter for a character.

Really enjoyed your review of The Ghost and Mrs Muir, @CosmicRunaway. All these great reviews of this movie is bringing more and more anticipation to seeing it.

For myself, I STILL haven't written up my review of Odd Man Out - as stated before, a really great film for me. And last night I watched Gentleman Jim and didn't see the final 10 minutes, so I'll have to wrap that up. Another film I really enjoyed.
I'm glad you enjoyed "Gentleman Jim". Superb film!

Will this be your first time seeing "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"?

I'm glad you enjoyed "Gentleman Jim". Superb film!

Will this be your first time seeing "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"?
Yep, first time!

and yes, Gentleman Jim was fun and charming film. Big fan of Errol Flynn and his swashbuckling films.

Odd Man Out
(1947)

I really liked this from the start. I've never seen an older movie set in Ireland about the IRA. Even if they weren't named, we know that's who they are. I loved the care that went into the cinematography. The composition, the angles and the shadows...all of that was top notch.

I'm a big fan of James Mason and I thought the British actor did a pretty good Irish accent too. In fact I really liked him in this movie.

I thought it was interesting how we see the robbery at the start of the film and then it goes wrong...then it's about James Mason who's been wounded trying to get back to a safe place. Each time he thinks he's found safe harbor he's turned out again into the cold, wet night. That reminded me of the Edgar Allen Poe story, The Pit and the Pendulum.

I was really liking this film until the last 40 minutes. Then I got tired of the ever changing situation for Mason. There's only so many situations that you can put him in before it gets old. And by the time they got to the crazy guy with all the birds and the equally crazy artist who only wanted to paint him, I had gotten tired of the film, as then it began to feel farcical. By the time Mason's journey was concluded, the film had lost a lot of it's punch.

Odd Man Out

Where the question of morality is placed upon those whom James Mason meets, far more than the wounded individual himself.

Directed by the same who did The Third Man, the imagery, though not as artistically inspiring as TTM, is quite something to see, all the same. Some truly beautiful and stark imagery which are coupled by the story and all of the secondary actors within this movie.

For me, it was those characters that really peaked and kept my interest. For some odd reason I kept thinking about my #1 favorite; The Great Escape as everyone split up and tried to make it out of a bad situation. I think it may have been the underlying subterfuge as, with each encounter, you REALLY did not know if it was a haven or a pitfall that would engulf, not only Mason, but the others who were with him in the attempted robbery.

I can't, honestly, make a list, since I thoroughly enjoyed them all. From the one aunt that the two men sought out only to be betrayed, to the two older women who come across Mason's character, to the older man with the birds. His little "conversation" with the priest was quite enjoyable.
My favorite, and whom I was waiting for, from the moment I saw his name in the opening credits, was Robert Newton as the brawling artist. And it was excellent to watch him let loose.

And, finally, the ending, I won't spoil it, but will say: I loved it. And will go into more detail as others watch this and talk about it.

well, I was gonna tack on the review of Gentleman Jim as well, but, after writing it up, I lost it. . . .
so it looks like I will be trying again later.