1940's Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Odd Man Out next for me. At least I think so. I'm rather skeptic about IRA movies, the topic that is so distant and uninteresting for me. There are many movies about IRA and I remember them only to be always heavy, aggressive and negative. So I was always avoiding these and am pretty curious how I will like this one.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Odd Man Out next for me. At least I think so. I'm rather skeptic about IRA movies, the topic that is so distant and uninteresting for me. There are many movies about IRA and I remember them only to be always heavy, aggressive and negative. So I was always avoiding these and am pretty curious how I will like this one.
Saw this last week, HOPEFULLY will get my review in tonight. Really enjoyed it. This is not a political film, so that aspect won't drag you down.

Mr Lucky (1943)

I'd never seen this before, though I had seen a clip from it in the Warner Home Archives promo that plays every time I get one of their movies on DVD. "Never give a sucker an even break!"...That's the line I've heard from this movie and it aptly described what Mr Lucky aka Cary Grant is all about.

Cary is a Boss Gambler, which means he runs the rackets. Grant is way too cool in this movie. Hell, forget James Bond, Grant did it better and first, right here in this movie. It's part comedy, part drama and a whole lot of fun, thanks to the wonderful cast.

Besides Cary Grant who's always good...Laraine Day was a perfect balance for the film and much more than just another ice cream flavor of the week. I've seen her in a couple of things before and always liked her.

The little old ladies who ran the women's auxiliary for war relief were perfect too and gave a lot of memorable moments. I especially like Gladys George (isn't she in another one of our noms?) and Florence Bates who I've seen many times before. And Charles Bickford is always fun to see, though he doesn't have much screen time.

Mr Lucky pulled me into the film and kept me interested. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Good nom!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	07MrLucky2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	31534  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sorry to hear you've had some rough weeks, hopefully the future will be brighter

No big deal on not posting here much, I know you're solid and will finish...Hmmm, only one movie you didn't like. Now I'm curious...I'll have to see if I guess which one it is. I haven't seen them all myself yet, so I'm not sure...

Oh I seen your nom Mr Lucky, loved it....and...remember I accidentally posted your second choice Unfaithfully Yours (1948)
as you nom? Well that DVD came in from the library so I watched that too, I hated it! Kind of surprised that you would like such a dark comedy. But, I bet a lot of people would have liked it.

Thanks. I've been having some trouble typing because of my finger injury, but I'm doing the best that I can with only 9 working fingers.

I'm glad you liked Mr. Lucky so much, but I'm surprised that you hated Unfaithfully Yours. I didn't expect you to love it, but I didn't think you would hate it either. I actually saw the remake of Unfaithfully Yours before I saw the original, so I pretty much knew a lot about the movie before I saw it. Maybe that skewed my opinion of it, but I think the original is much better than the remake.

I've been having some trouble typing because of my finger injury, but I'm doing the best that I can with only 9 working fingers.
Coincidentally, I was just cutting bread and the knife slipped. I sliced the pointer finger on my right hand open pretty badly. I was just googling how to determine if it's deep enough to require stitches. So I know exactly how you feel.

I'm currently typing with just my left hand as I rest my right on the tower with my bandaged finger sticking straight up. So I likely won't get around to writing my Ghost and Mrs. Muir review today.

I haven't used a mouse with my left hand in a few years, but it wouldn't be too bad if the cord was a bit longer.

Oh my god! Finger injuries galore...Sounds like Cosmic wins or is that losses? Ouch that sounds painfully I'm no expert but I think if a cut won't close and keeps bleeding, then you might need stitches.

GBG, cheer up you still have 9 fingers to type with. That should still result in 90% typing efficiency

Nah, it's cool, no rush to write reviews or anything. I actually have a finger injury myself. For the last few days my left pinky finger's middle joint has been locking up and it hurts like hell to straighten it. Though typing doesn't hurt it

It didn't look like it was going to stop bleeding but I think it might've clotted a bit now. If I put any pressure on the bottom of my finger tip though (the cut is just below the nail), it starts up again. I have a really tight band-aid on now, and it seems mostly fine (except the pain and throbbing sensation), so I don't think it's quite bad enough for stitches, luckily.

If three of us have finger injuries, perhaps this HoF is cursed?

Hang in there!...I once was holding a spring out of the front suspension of a car, and a friend was cutting it with a hacksaw...I wanted to lower the car. Instead he slipped and cut my finger to the bone with a hacksaw. Needlessly to say that hurt. It healed pretty fast but for years after I swear I could predict a storm cold front

That sounds horrible! My cut is nothing in comparison to that.

Now that I don't have to keep my finger quite as elevated, I think I can use both hands to type as long as I keep that finger up and use my middle finger to press whatever keys I would normally use that one for. I'm testing that method typing this, and it seems to work pretty well. Definitely need to keep using the mouse with my other hand though.

my god, I don't know if it's SAFE to join in this conversation. I might walk away and smash a digit somehow

since I'm a guy, I'll make a Guy Suggestion about the bleeding, Cosmic. "put some super glue on it,"
Since that was how super glue came to be. Quick triage during, I think, World War II.
Of course, I have NO IDEA how to get the stuff back off once the cut seals up, though lol

Hang in there!...I once was holding a spring out of the front suspension of a car, and a friend was cutting it with a hacksaw...I wanted to lower the car. Instead he slipped and cut my finger to the bone with a hacksaw. Needlessly to say that hurt. It healed pretty fast but for years after I swear I could predict a storm cold front
DAMN!
and I don't have story to top that one, either - rats!
Did slice a small of the tip of my thumb with a razor when I was young. Several stitches and a very hard scar to see. That's the extent of hand related for me.