Camo's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Jaws
(Steven Spielberg, 1975)

Randomly rewatched this last night. Been watching and reading a bunch of nature stuff recently and that put me in the mood for Jaws haha. Usually i can't decide what is my favourite Spielberg out of this, Close Encounters, Catch Me If You Can or Temple of Doom but right now i'd say this is. Don't really know what to say that hasn't been said already, outstanding suspense, music, visuals, etc, etc. Such an entertaining film, glad i watched it again as it had been 5 years or something.

One of the 10 greatest films ever made.

There Will Be Blood
+

Rewatch. Still one of my favourite films ever. Might make a proper post about it at a different time since i don't think i have on this site.

The Act of Killing
+

Completely surreal. Seeing murder treated so nonchalantly is unreal to watch, you never see that outside of interviews with imprisoned serial killers or something similar. And yet these people are powerful, revered in their areas brutal mass murderers. I'm not even sure how to go into this there was just so much craziness: in the first 15 minutes you had stuff like residents not wanting to take part in the play because they were scared that people will believe they are real communists, Anwar jovially dancing outside his former movie theatre talking about his happy experiences with american movies before casually pointing them to across the street where they carried out some of their murders. This definitely had an effect on me, at times i got swept up in the performances and forgot what i was watching. Crazy doc but i think it was great.

The Act of Killing was probably the last cut from my documentary list, and I probably screwed up.

Agree with you on There Will Be Blood, a masterpiece I think.

Rumble Fish

Feel like i should have hated this, there was so much absurdity. Matt Dillon's performance was ridiculous, the story was corny as hell as well as being all over the place and the violence was hilariously bad; bad as in it looked so fake, as if they weren't even trying. Whatever though it was entertaining and i really liked the look of it and the music, i'm not sure if the music actually went with the film and that's probably why i liked it; the music not going with the film is probably why it did go with the film actually because nothing else did haha. Mickey Rourke's character was...what the hell, The other characters said all i can about him including: "he's the coolest, man, nobody can touch him", "Is there anything he can't do? No, there's not.", "Nah man, you can't be like him he's like a returning prince". and there's plenty more of that. Who cares though i loved just about every minute of him. I loved how he just wandered about without a care in the world, barely paying attention to anyone, talking ridiculously softly with his cigarette and motorcycle and his beloved fish. Also he looked like Lionel Messi. Yeah, i liked this.

I remember liking it but don't remember much of it. I guess I'm gonna rewatch it one of these days

I remember bailing out of this movie. Maybe I should try it again.
Totally understand that. If you read what i said i think there was all sorts wrong with it, most of the things i liked were flaws in the film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I saw it twice in Oklahoma City in 1983 when I was there studying at the Air Traffic Control Academy. But hey, OKC is a pretty boring place.

I saw it twice in Oklahoma City in 1983 when I was there studying at the Air Traffic Control Academy. But hey, OKC is a pretty boring place.
Guess you liked it then?

There's no way this isn't going to be a future avatar of mine.

There's no way this isn't going to be a future avatar of mine.

He was so darn cute. Especially in Diner & The Pope of Greenwich Village. Not even that good-looking, but immense sex appeal.

He was so darn cute. Especially in Diner & The Pope of Greenwich Village. Not even that good-looking, but immense sex appeal.
Yeah, i've definitely got a crush on him in that film. I think he looks like Lionel Messi in it, especially in the first picture i used.

Yeah, i've definitely got a crush on him in that film. I think he looks like Lionel Messi in it, especially in the first picture i used.
Yes, I saw that. Is Messi that guy who was in the World Cup last time?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It was a combo of things. I had already seen Coppola's/S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders earlier that year, and I was a big Mickey Rourke fan from Diner the year before. As I said earlier, OKC was not the most entertaining place. It had a famous zoo and some airport museums, but mostly I went to all the new releases. During the three months I was there, I saw The Right Stuff, Terms of Endearment, Scarface, Star 80, Never Cry Wolf, Brainstorm, Silkwood, To Be or Not to Be, The Dresser, The Osterman Weekend, Never Say Never Again, All the Right Moves, Richard Pryor Here and Now, Under Fire, Nate and Hayes, Deal of the Century, Christine, Uncommon Valor, Sudden Impact, The Keep, Yentl, Gorky Park. I saw some of those more than Rumble Fish - movies were cheap back then. I also saw a few concerts.

It was a combo of things. I had already seen Coppola's/S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders earlier that year, and I was a big Mickey Rourke fan from Diner the year before. As I said earlier, OKC was not the most entertaining place. It had a famous zoo and some airport museums, but mostly I went to all the new releases. During the three months I was there, I saw The Right Stuff, Terms of Endearment, Scarface, Star 80, Never Cry Wolf, Brainstorm, Silkwood, To Be or Not to Be, The Dresser, The Osterman Weekend, Never Say Never Again, All the Right Moves, Richard Pryor Here and Now, Under Fire, Nate and Hayes, Deal of the Century, Christine, Uncommon Valor, Sudden Impact, The Keep, Yentl, Gorky Park. I saw some of those more than Rumble Fish - movies were cheap back then. I also saw a few concerts.
Awesome. I haven't heard of half of those films, but yeah awesome. Is Here and Now the one where he is wearing a black suit and comes across very down/depressed, i think i own that if it is? I read he took time off from directing The Outsiders to direct Rumble Fish which is hilarious because Matt Dillon. That dude must have been so confused, someone should merge the two films it would probably be a masterpiece.

Yes, I saw that. Is Messi that guy who was in the World Cup last time?
haha. Yeah, he's been in the last 3 world cups: 2006 being the first. I dunno if this was supposed to be jokey, if not then i guess you may have meant played a big part, the last world cup he did yeah. He won best player (undeservedly IMO, i'd have at least 5 above him) and he reached the final. He was good in the weakest group in the whole tournament but not so much after that.

haha. Yeah, he's been in the last 3 world cups: 2006 being the first. I dunno if this was supposed to be jokey, if not then i guess you may have meant played a big part, the last world cup he did yeah. He won best player (undeservedly IMO, i'd have at least 5 above him) and he reached the final. He was good in the weakest group in the whole tournament but not so much after that.
Not jokey at all. I flippin' love the World Cup. I end up rooting for USA since England are atrocious in the WC.

Forgotten Messi's nationality. Brazilian? Italian?

HARRY POTTER

I watched and read the first four books/films before i stopped caring. My gf made me watch the full series, i think i'll rank them and you guys can whatever.

8.Philosopher's Stone:

I've always thought this was a solid start to the series but i'm just so familiar with it that at times i was pretty bored by it. The lead up to the Philosopher's Stone film coming out through to when Chamber of Secrets came out was the time i was most into Harry Potter as a kid. I watched and read Philosopher's Stone loads so going in i was definitely burnt out on it even though it had been years. There's still some good stuff; it's pretty funny, it does a good job of setting up its world and i love Hagrid and especially Dumbledore in it; not sure what the consensus is but personally i'm a much bigger fan of Harris as Dumbledore. Another thing is that i think understandably the kids acting was the worst here; i don't think Harry Potter is a particularly well acted series overall, not bad just not all that special, here the kids were the weakest as they'd of course get better with experience. Not a bad watch just seen it too many times.

7.Deathly Hallows: Part 1:

Enjoyable, second weakest for me. If i was to count this and Part 2 as the one film (which is an understandable way of looking at it) it would be higher, i didn't feel right doing that tho. There was some solid stuff it was always going to be a little underwhelming being the first half of a two parter, certainly not bad. One random sidenote: i think this one had the biggest laugh from me in the whole series unless i'm forgetting something. During the part where Hermoine, Ron and Harry have taken over peoples bodies to infiltrate the Ministry of Magic; some guy threatens who he thinks Ron is if he doesn't fix his roof his wife will suffer and Ron says after "Oh no. What am i going to do? My wife is down there all alone.", it is such a stupid joke but it worked perfectly as it fits Rons character and there's the added humour of Rons voice coming out of this different guy. I also liked later Ron saying Morning to Harry without realizing it was him. Another random unimportant scene i liked was Harry and Hermoine dancing when Ron left. It was a really happy short reprieve from all of the terrible stuff that was going on; both smiling and having fun for maybe 20 seconds until it turns into a slow dance and they are brought back to their thoughts. Was sweet and illustrated what they were going through so well.

I didn't actually find anything bad about this, it was fine. It wasn't as fun or as exciting as most of the others for me though, partially because there wasn't a proper ending and not that much was revealed with it only being half of a book. A bit too much of it was just Ron, Hermoine and Harry for me too; i mean that was about an hour and a half of the film, it's better when there's a good mixture of characters i think.