Sports Film Tournament

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Round 1, Set 2

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) vs Angels in the Outfield (1951)

Damn Yankees (1958) vs Million Dollar Baby (2004)
I haven't seen Million Dollar Baby (2004) yet.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962) vs A League of Their Own (1992)
I haven't seen The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962) yet.

Journeyman (2017) vs Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson (2004)
I haven't seen either movie yet.

The Foot Fist Way (2006) vs Moneyball (2011)
I haven't seen The Foot Fist Way (2006) yet.

American Flyers (1985) vs Rush (2013)
I haven't seen Rush (2013) yet.

Remember the Titans (2000) vs Caddyshack (1980)

Bang the Drum Slowly (1973) vs The Set-Up (1949)

Round 1, Set 2

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) vs Angels in the Outfield (1951)
(I love Talladega Nights, especially as someone who used to be into Nascar, although I barely pay any attention to the sport anymore. I watched the 1994 Disney remake of Angels in the Outfield as a kid, but I've never seen the original.)

(Million Dollar Baby is great, but I'm not familiar with Damn Yankees unless we're talking about the Ted Nugent supergroup.)

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962) vs A League of Their Own (1992)
(I've recorded The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner a few times, but always end up deleting it to make room for other stuff. A League of Their Own is pretty good.)

Journeyman (2017) vs Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson (2004)
(Never even heard of 'em.)

(The Foot Fist Way is an amusing rough draft of the type of humor Jody Hill and McBride would later hone in other projects. I had zero interest in the subject matter of Moneyball, but the excellent script made me care.)

(Rush is very good, but haven't seen or heard of the other.)

(Despite its popularity and reputation as one of the greatest comedies, I've always had a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't like Caddyshack since I don't like Chase, Dangerfield or golf. Watched it for the first time ever this morning and my suspicions were correct. The gopher and Cindy Morgan's t*ts were the only worthwhile parts. The movie's scattershot nature made the runtime feel twice as long. I haven't seen Remember the Titans since it first came out. Doubt I'd like it as much now as I did back then, but still confident that it's better than Caddyshack.)

(Two movies I've been meaning to watch.)

@jiraffejustin, NOTE: The matches in GREEN are new votes, the matches in BLUE are previous votes, and the matches in RED are not done yet.

Round 1, Set 2

Damn Yankees is one of my favorite movies, so I thought this was going to be an easy vote for me, but I was blindsided by how good the second half of Million Dollar Baby was, which made this a much closer match than I expected.

I haven't seen The Foot Fist Way (2006) yet.

I haven't seen Rush (2013) yet.

@jiraffejustin, NOTE: The matches in GREEN are new votes, the matches in BLUE are previous votes, and the matches in RED are not done yet.

Round 1, Set 2

Damn Yankees is one of my favorite movies, so I thought this was going to be an easy vote for me, but I was blindsided by how good the second half of Million Dollar Baby was, which made this a much closer match than I expected.

My apologies to whoever nominated The Foot Fist Way, but this was the easiest choice for me so far.

Rush was a pretty good movie, but neither of the main characters were likable.

Round 1, Set 2

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner was okay, but it just wasn't my type of movie.

My apologies to whoever nominated The Foot Fist Way, but this was the easiest choice for me so far.

Let the night air cool you off
Maybe. I think people would probably more inspired to watch if some of the matchups were closer or their nom was facing something that could beat it. I'm going to be watching more of them pretty soon. This semester is almost over and I'll have way more free time

Maybe. I think people would probably more inspired to watch if some of the matchups were closer or their nom was facing something that could beat it. I'm going to be watching more of them pretty soon. This semester is almost over and I'll have way more free time

I thought the idea of these tournaments wasn't just to vote for movies that we've already seen, but it's to watch movies that we haven't seen yet.

I've watched a bunch of movies for this tournament that I never would have watched on my own, and most of them turned out to be pretty good movies, (or at least a lot better than I expected).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I thought the idea of these tournaments wasn't just to vote for movies that we've already seen, but it's to watch movies that we haven't seen yet.

I've watched a bunch of movies for this tournament that I never would have watched on my own, and most of them turned out to be pretty good movies, (or at least a lot better than I expected).
It's a helluva commendable job, gbg!!
I was going to try to and things got a little too swamped for me to make the time for any of them.

@jiraffejustin, NOTE: The matches in GREEN are new votes, the matches in BLUE are previous votes, and there are no more matches in RED because I'm finished with this set.

Round 1, Set 2

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner was okay, but it just wasn't my type of movie.

Journeyman felt like more of a heavy drama than a sports movie, but it was an interesting look at the effect the brutality of boxing has on the boxers. I had a hard time finding Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson, and after finding it, I wasn't happy that it turned out to be a documentary that was almost four hours long, but I watched it anyway. Sadly, after all that, this wasn't even a close match for me.

So, we got a lot of ties this round. So what I'll do is start the next round, but keep those all open until they can be broken. I got finals coming real soon, so if there are any ties remaining when I'm done, I'll make it a priority to be able to break them.

The Winners:

A League of Their Own (2 - 1 over The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner)

Moneyball (5 - 0 over The Foot Fist Way)

Remember the Titans (6 - 2 over Caddyshack)

The rest are ties.

You can vote for any of these tied sets if you haven't already in the previous round

New matches:

Round 1, Set 3

The Damned United (2009) vs This Sporting Life (1963)

The Fighter (2010) vs Rocky (1976)

Death Race 2000 (1975) vs The Longest Yard (1974)

North Dallas Forty (1979) vs Rollerball (1975)

Cinderella Man (2005) vs Field of Dreams (1989)

The Color of Money (1986) vs Breaking Away (1979)

White Men Can't Jump (1992) vs The Long Run (2001)

Rocco and His Brothers (1960) vs The Karate Kid (1984)

Round 1, Set 3

This Sporting Life is good but haven't seen the other.

Never seen The Fighter but I want to.

I like Death Race also.

I like Rollerball also.

Haven't seen either.

Love both.

Like the first, haven't seen the second.

I tried to watch the first for the 60s countdown but couldn't find it anywhere. I like the other one but haven't seen it for a while.

Yay, I can actually vote for one this time round:

If votes are thin on the ground for the match with The Long Run in it feel free to just knock that movie out. I only added some fillums to the mix to try and help out as at the time nominations appeared to be a little thin on the ground.

Round 1, Set 3

The Damned United (2009) vs This Sporting Life (1963) - Haven't seen them

The Fighter vs Rocky (1976) - What a drag that these two go head to head right away.

The Color of Money (1986) vs Breaking Away (1979) - Breaking Away I really liked but The Color of Money is one of my favorites of the 80's. Pool Hustling>Cycling, usually

White Men Can't Jump (1992) vs The Long Run (2001) Haven't seen The Long Run

Rocco and His Brothers (1960) vs The Karate Kid (1984) Haven't seen Rocco

Unregistered User
Round 1, Set 3

The Fighter vs Rocky

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.