Slash Vault, Bloody Adventures with MoFo Nostromo

→ in
Tools    

My dad is so easy when it comes to horror, it shouldn't be a problem.

I really like Sleepaway Camp and thought My Bloody Valentine was ok. Halloween is like Friday the 13th for me; there's been so many that I've mixed most of them up.

---
CHILD'S PLAY
(Tom Holland, 1988)

a single mother gives her son a beloved doll for his birthday,
only to discover that it is possessed

voodoo, Chris Sarandon, Catherine Hicks, & a Chucky doll. equal parts comical, ridiculous, and creepy. it begins when criminal Charles Lee Ray, a maniac serial killer, is chased by cop Mike Norris (Sarandon) into a toy store. needing an escape, Charles chants mystical incantations, 1980's lightning clouds form in the sky, and Charles passes his soul into a 'good guy doll.' this is real life

flash to the apartment home of single mom Karen Barclay and her son, Andy. it's his birthday, and he gets a good guy doll as a gift... only after his mother has to purchase one from a bum peddler in a dark alleyway. the freakiest parts happen early on, when the only person who knows Chucky is alive is 6-year-old Andy. this probably could have been even darker than it was... had they chosen to make the doll be unresponsive when it knew a murder case was under way and 6-year-old Andy was the only suspect

Conclusion
: the scariest part may be how invested everyone is in the story... actors, director,
special-effects technicians... everyone mindbogglingly plays it straight. picture being in the same room as these people act out the scenes and interact this real with a little toy doll. not sure if that would be really funny or just really creepy. the legend of Chucky is born

Favorite Kill: could go with Maggie's death, the lady who babysits Andy and his toy. she gets hit in the head with a toy hammer and crashes through a high apartment window to her doom. but not sure that's as momentous as none other than Chucky's getting burned in the fireplace... then having his arms, legs, & head blown off ... and still coming back to life. or maybe it's the voodoo guy having his arms and legs broken and chest knifed by way of voodoo doll courtesy of Chucky.

Rating:
+ 6.5 / 10

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	chply88.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	64055  

THE BURNING
(Tony Maylam, 1981)

a former summer camp caretaker, horribly burned from a prank gone wrong,
lurks around an upstate New York summer camp
bent on killing the teenagers responsible for his disfigurement

before i get into the review, i'd like to take a look at the producer of this movie. as that's not often something i see us talking about. a man with 289 producer credits. they say, in a survey examining the speeches of Academy Award winners over the last twenty years, it was determined that 7 Oscar winners thanked God in their acceptance speeches. 30 Oscar winners thanked Harvey Weinstein. well, i say all that, bc this is where Harvey Weinstein began. this was his first producer credit. original story created & produced by Harvey Weinstein. screenplay writing credit to his brother, Bob Weinstein. Bob's got 277 producer credits. i found that pretty compelling for the Burning once i saw their names in the opening credits and did a little research

the story begins at Camp Blackfoot. campers play a prank on the caretaker named Cropsy, and it goes horribly wrong. Cropsy is burned beyond recognition. fast-forward 15 years, skin grafts were unable to correct the disfigurements, & Cropsy is finally released from the hospital. naturally, the first thing he does is try his luck with a hooker, but she gets freaked by his disfigurements. and swiftly meets her doom. Cropsy says f* this and returns to haunt the area where he was burned so many years ago

next we jump back to a summer camp to meet the main characters. Glazer the dumb jock, Alfred the outcast geek he picks on, some hot ladies, and Todd - one of the main camp counselors. i like Todd. he's a good guy. he's understanding, genuine, and just an altogether cool dude. after some shenanigans, the group heads off for a canoeing trip. they're in for an adventure. it's good fun, bc there's a host of entertaining characters

hey, it's George Costanza on the left. Todd on the right, played by Brian Matthews

Conclusion
: you can do much worse if you're looking for a fun slash film. there's character development, tension-building, and good ole 80's atmosphere. Rick Wakeman delivers a pretty cool electronic score. make-up effects by gore-king Tom Savini. another awesome dude in his own right. i like this movie. there's interesting characters and fun situations that fit together well. there's a hokey scene or two, but that's how it goes. enjoyed the dynamic between Alfred and Todd. Alfred is the guy who hates being at camp, everyone makes fun of him and he is pretty strange. but Todd looks out for him. i think that's cool

Favorite Kill: Glazer meets his end. garden sheers pinned to a tree

Rating:
8.0 / 10

Attachments

Name:	TheBurning81.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	64056  

SCREAM 4
(Wes Craven, 2011)

ten years have passed, and Sidney Prescott returns to Woodsboro

STABBED again by Wes Craven's power-trio of Neve Campbell, David Arquette, & Courtney Cox !
Neve Campbell reprises her role as Sidney Prescott, as her character returns to Woodsboro for the last stop of her Out of Darkness book tour. Dewey is now the town sheriff, married to Gale Weathers... who is depressed and experiencing writer's block. but Sidney returning may be just what she needs to get back to what she loves doing best: being on the frontline solving Ghostface murders

there's a good line towards the beginning, 'one generation's nightmare becomes the next generation's joke' or something to that effect. Scream 4 could've become a joke, but it didn't. thanks to Wes Craven and the Cambpell-Arquette-Cox trio, as well as introducing some new entertaining characters. especially Hayden Panettiere as Kirby and Emma Roberts as Sidney's niece, Jill. there are also cameos from many familiar TV faces

gotta mention someone here. Marley Shelton, she plays a cop named Judy. she was Wendy Peffercorn in The Sandlot (1993). that was a movie i loved in my childhood. Wendy Peffercorn was HOT, and still is. even tho her character here is sort of bland.
but she does have a moment where she relays creepy precise details of an old old high school play of peter pan, where judy was a lost boy and sid played tiger lily

Conclusion
: they could have easily made this like some of the other recent horror franchise remakes. put a lesser director at the helm and just had it star Hayden Panettiere, Emma Roberts, & the other young kids. but they didn't, they brought back Wes Craven and the original trio and crafted a fun story around all these pieces. they struck a good balance between horror elements and humor. it's just fun.

*WARNING* venturing into spoiler territory below:
some have complained about the ending, that it goes on too long, saying it should have ended with Jill on the stretcher after staging herself as the victim, all the people around her, carted onto the ambulence... a paramedic would come out of the house and announce they found one alive, a woman. Sidney. then it would show Jill in a brief moment of confusion and panic, then the credits would roll

i admit, that would have been a good cliffhanger ending. although i'd like to submit why i actually liked the ending ~
i like it when movies can stand on their own. if they had ended it with Jill in the ambulence and the hint that Sidney is alive, we'd KNOW going into Scream 5 that at some point... Jill will get exposed by Sidney. it could be fun to see, but it would be pretty predictable and might suck drama out of the next installment. the way this happened, we get another conclusion.
you forgot the first rule of remakes, jill. don't f* with the original
i like the ending. the newsreels will have a clusterf* on their hands the way they reported Jill as a 'hero right out of the movies,' when they fell for her whole victim-gag. oops

ENTHUSED FOR SCREAM 5

Favorite Kill: could go with the opening, with a movie inside a movie inside a movie inside a movie. can't even remember how many dimensions we breached. but, gonna go with, and it's not a kill... Jill staging herself as the victim... stabs herself in the shoulder, runs into a wall, throws herself on a shattering glass table, and all kinds of lunatic stuff. easily the most memorable bloody scene in the movie. not a kill, but the actual kills don't jump out to me as much

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

Fun Trivia: Robert Rodriguez directs the scenes from the 'Stab' movies

Attachments

Name:	Scr4.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	59845  

I've never really cared for the Child's Play films, though Bride and Seed are better, IMO.

I really like The Burning and it's one of the few examples, for me anyway, where the imitator is better than the original (the original being Friday The 13th, of course). It gets a bit of flak for taking so long and, with one exception, not really having a great deal going on with the deaths, but then, I really like The Toolbox Murders, in which the first 25 minutes are among the best in the history of horror/exploitation cinema IMO, followed by a different film for an hour. I also agree with you about the best kill, which isn't the bit I was talking about earlier, for those yet to see the film.

Sadly, I found The Burning did suffer from being such a good print. The nth generation videotape I watched back in the 80's meant that you couldn't really see Cropsy too clearly, meaning your imagination filled in the blanks. That, and all the dark stuff in the woods was really, really black.

I liked Scream 4, it fit well into the canon and I might watch it tomorrow with some friends. But I didn't care for the end too much. Not that I wanted the ending you spoke about above, I just didn't buy the fight with her injuries or how they came to know who the killer was. However, I'm always with you on Jill being the best kill, despite that fact that she doesn't die. Of the ones who did die, though, I'm going with the letterbox kill because it made me

I like all of the Child's Play movies I've seen as guilty pleasures, although I can't tell one from the other.

I think I saw The Burning, but I don't remember it. Sounds like something I should see soon.

I had a problem during the first Scream and it kind of killed my interest in any of the sequels.

Love Scream 4! Saw Child's Play when I was maybe 12, don't remember exactly how I felt about it though.

However, I'm always with you on Jill being the best kill, despite that fact that she doesn't die.
Well, more than likely, Jill is dead. I really don't think we'll see a sequel with Emma Roberts coming back as Jill. I really don't think we'll see a Scream 5 now. But, they didn't shoot her in the head, and that's suspicious to me and makes me think they did that in case they want to bring Jill back for another movie. Stu was supposed to return and be a killer in Scream 3 at one point, masterminding high school aged killers from jail. It could have been the same thing with Jill. All of her moaning about being "stuck in her cell" (her room) in Scream 4 could have been meant to foreshadow Jill being stuck in an actual jail cell in a sequel.

Well, supposedly, this year, there's supposed to be a Scream TV show with a pilot directed by Wes Craven. Details about the plot have already emerged -- new characters, no connection to the movies, a female character is bisexual, etc. etc.

Scream 4 was supposed to be immediately followed up with Scream 5 and Scream 6 if Scream 4 had done well at the box office (it didn't) and if Kevin Williamson came back to write it (he got in an argument and left the project). We would have had Scream 5 already (and maybe even Scream 6) if fate had just been kinder to the Scream series, but of course, it isn't.

I wish they went the interesting route and had Jill live on for a sequel... so much you could do with that. What if her plan worked, and in the sequel she's pretending to be the new Sidney, but then a killer appears and she actually becomes the new Sidney? But wait, she's already a killer! Some interesting stuff you could do with that.

I wish they went the interesting route and had Jill live on for a sequel... so much you could do with that. What if her plan worked, and in the sequel she's pretending to be the new Sidney, but then a killer appears and she actually becomes the new Sidney? But wait, she's already a killer! Some interesting stuff you could do with that.
I wouldn't like that because there's no reason to root for Jill if a new killer appears and tries to threaten her life. If someone actually took on the Ghostface identity and tried to kill her, let 'em kill her! She deserves it.

I think it would have been great to actually see Jill in action. I imagine a scenario where she tries to finish off Sidney, Gale and Dewey and other people as they all connect the dots and realize Jill's been faking her innocence. Gale, being the big investigative reporter she is, would probably figure it out. Maybe Sidney starts to remember or always remembers what Jill did, but nobody will believe her and listen to her, except Gale. Gale because in Scream she was the only one who believed in Cotton's innocence, which turned out to be true.

I mean, there's only so many times you can do the twist ending where the killer is a surprise and it's someone you least suspected. Eventually you've done it all or everyone knows what to expect and it's no longer surprising. I think that having Scream go in a new direction where we know from the beginning who the killer is (Jill -- and who knows? Maybe she even has other partners set up for her future murder sprees.) is smart. You don't have to have a murder mystery storyline to be a horror film. Films like Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween -- you always know who the killer is. Scream could have went down that road for a change.

Or, it could have been like Saw. In the first Saw, we learned who the killer was -- Jigsaw. But in Saw II, we saw Jigsaw through the whole movie and knew he was up to no good, but, SURPRISE -- there was another partner of Jigsaw's revealed (Amanda). Scream 5 could have done that -- showed us Jill, and then surprised us by introducing at the end another partner of hers.

I was really just trying to make a point that keeping Jill alive leaves the door open for many interesting possibilities, as you've just proven.

PEEPING TOM
(Michael Powell, 1960)

A young man uses a movie camera to film women's dying expressions of terror

Psychological thriller aimed at voyeurism. A curious redhead named Helen becomes infatuated with Mark, a young cameraman. Mark wants to be a director very soon, and now he's got a girl who can't wait to see his pictures. Our cameraman, trained by his father, is fixated with the art of reactions. In some ways (perhaps not all) Peeping Tom is better crafted than the other films in here. Something unsettling about a character like Mark Lewis, and yet in a distorted tangled up way we can identify with him. What gives us the urge to gaze, can it be corrected...
You're a puzzle and a half

Featured Kill: Vivian the film extra gets it at the studio. Weapon of choice- camera-stand

Rating:
8.0 / 10

I'm pleased to see that you liked Peeping Tom. It's one of my new favorites.

I always enjoyed this thread, so it's good to see it temporarily resurrected from the dead. The forum needs more Slash.

My dad is so easy when it comes to horror, it shouldn't be a problem.
I've heard your mom is pretty easy too.

Mom jokes? Come on, Cap'n, you can do better than that.
No joke is beneath me. If I could fart on the forum I would.