The Leftovers

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I felt the series ending was satisfying enough, for what it was. Somehow they managed to make me forget (or no longer care) *why* the whole departure happened in the first place. To me, that was a tall order because that question stuck in the back of my head the whole three seasons the show aired. Also, at first it seemed quite an ensemble cast, but as the show went on, the importance of other characters dropped off one by one, and the importance of Kevin and Nora continued to rise above everyone else. It was done smoothly enough -- and they managed to tie up the biggest loose ends with everyone else -- that it never had that same "WTF?" feeling that the last season of LOST had, for instance. Of course, they really WERE flying by the seat of their pants.

I've just started the book (mostly out of curiosity to see how different the storyline is), and the feeling and undertones are completely different, right from the start. We'll see if that difference continues throughout the book.

That's great.

I think that's the string version, though. The one that sticks more for me is the piano version:

I'm a sucker for piano notes that just hang and reverberate in the air. I noticed a number of years back that an inordinate number of songs I liked, even like rock songs, featured the piano prominently.
Examples of the rock songs you're talking about?

Examples of the rock songs you're talking about?
Lotta Spoon!

And The Natural History (this is probably one of my all-time favorite songs):

Also, Robbers on High Street, which sound a lot like Spoon (I prefer "Dig the Lightning" but that's not on YouTube):

Well, finished season two last night. Think both seasons together ended up taking like 8 days. Gonna start the last season tonight, probably be done with it on Thursday or Friday at the latest.

Apparently critics liked season two a lot more than season one, but I think I'm the other way. Still really good, though, and going in some interesting (if odd!) places.

All done. Took me something like 10-12 days to watch all 28 episodes.

Very good finale. I supposed I wanted a little bit more, but it nearly struck that sweet spot between explaining things without making the end about the explanations, or denying people a little healthy narrative ambiguity. Either that or I'm just less conditioned to expect things to wrap-up neatly after watching both Lost and Battlestar Galactica. But I think a lot of it has to do with tone: the show never felt like it was about the big questions, unlike those other two, and so I wasn't as focused on them as I would have been otherwise.

But man, was that third season nuts. All three seasons feel different. The first and second still feel like the same show, at least, though the second is already wilder and a little more lighthearted, at least compared to the emotionally exhausting, deathly serious first season. But the third is downright goofy at times. From what I've read, it was very much in doubt whether they'd even get that final season, so when they did I think they just decided to do whatever they wanted no matter how insane, and as much of it works as doesn't.

I've seen some weird TV shows/episodes/seasons, but I can't remember the last time something this well made basically floated off into crazy town like this.

A part of me kinda wishes the show had stayed with that deathly, almost oppressively somber first season tone the whole way. Would've been a bit of a chore at times, but I think some of the big moments at the end would've landed more. The most affecting parts for me were all in that first season, which is surprising (you'd think the finale is when that stuff would hit hardest), but it makes sense given the tonal shift.

Well, I only watched the last season and the theme was the main reason, but then I learned Carrie Coon was in it and there was no way I wasn't gonna watch her...uh, it. Since I know how it ends I probably won't bother with the first two seasons but I enjoyed the season reasonably enough. I had to laugh at some things, especially the guy on the ferry
WARNING: spoilers below
pretending to be God, then being found out and getting eaten by the lion.
And Christopher Eccleston saying something like, "That's the guy I was talking about."

This might just do nobody any good.
Well, I only watched the last season and the theme was the main reason, but then I learned Carrie Coon was in it and there was no way I wasn't gonna watch her...uh, it.
I like the synchronicity between both her character's endings.

Two different people who've been tested several times over, sitting across another (potentially) less confident, facing down the unknown, confident in their resolve.