The Fry Box: Spud's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Re: Rampage Jackson. Was he really any worse than Mr. T, Spud? I thought he did a good job. And I can definately see tv's and exercise equiptment in a large single cell. Hell, I can see that without having Faceman's charm.
No, he wasn't any worse, but certainly not better. I'll have to watch it again tonight, or tomorrow.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Knight and Day (2010)

Not a whole lot of good thoughts from this movie. The trailer looked promising, but the movie, itself, was a snoozer and a half.

We all know that Cruise can be funny, but it's unclear as to where the problem lay for Knight and Day. Whether it was the script, or the cast, or a combination of both, it fell flat... fast.

The action seemed to be over the top and very unrealistic. A flaw I find to be more off-setting and common in action films, these days. People will tend to have more fun with a movie if they can envision themselves in the action. When it's clear that something can only take place with wires or CG, it looses that "magic."

One other thing that was blatantly obvious was that Tom Cruise should not be cast in a movie, that will have him playing a similar role to that of his in Mission: Impossible.

All of that said, maybe some of you will like this, but I didn't.

Yep, I've stayed away from this for, pretty much, the reasons you've given. It looks like a film that I could end up liking, but nothing looked right and it felt... "off". I'll probably end up watching it on tv one day... Without making the end of it.

Yep, I've stayed away from this for, pretty much, the reasons you've given. It looks like a film that I could end up liking, but nothing looked right and it felt... "off". I'll probably end up watching it on tv one day... Without making the end of it.
I wanted to go see it, when it first came out. Like I said above, the trailer made it look really funny. With a line like, "Nobody move or I kill myself, then her," I thought it was going to turn into quite the action-comedy.

There were a bunch of wild tangents it went off on, which I won't go into detail as they're not relevant, but they did make the movie less watchable. After the first 30 minutes, I just wanted it to be over. I don't like walking out on movies, or turning them off before seeing the whole thing, but I almost reconsidered.

I was quite bored with the movie and the characters

The Social Network (2010)

I remember when talk about "Facebook: The Movie" started going around. It was a laughable premise. "You mean to tell me that they're making a movie about Facebook? What's next, Myspace?"

Surprisingly enough, it's rather good. Leave it to David Fincher, to bring a story about the beginnings of Facebook to the silver screen, and it be so good. Before watching this, I remembered my thoughts about it, back before it hit theatres. Once the credits started rolling, I ate those words.

While Jesse Eisenberg's expressions always irritate me, I managed to look past that (and his rambling somewhat annoying voice) to see the performance he turned in as Zuckerberg.

Honestly, everyone turned in a great performance. Even if the story was watered down and dramatic liberties were taken here and there, it was still a great story.

If you haven't seen it, or like me, thought the premise was laughable, I urge you reconsider.

Buried (2010)

I had read some positive and negative reviews about this movie, but I decided to give it a go. The premise of a man stuck in a box with no knowledge of why or who, is an interesting one and shouldn't be discounted for lack the normal elements you would see in any given movie.

First and foremost, this is a movie about a man (Ryan Reynolds) buried in a coffin underground. The suspense is palable, the acting surprisingly good. In order for a director to make you believe what you're seeing is actually happening, it takes a good performance from the actor to really sell the idea. In my opinion, Reynolds pulled that off.

What I thought was funny, was that my wife made the following comment within the first five minutes of me turning the movie on, "So, he's just stuck in a box? Sounds boring." Yet, an hour into it, I look over and she's holding her breath, hoping for a positive outcome of the situation.

This isn't a movie for everyone, but it kept me interested from start to finish. It's a move you really just have to watch to decide for yourself.

This may well be a good film, but I doubt very much that I'd be able to make it through it.
I'll admit, I was a little hesitant to watch it, because I knew what it was about. If you are claustrophobic, I would avoid it, because you would probably give yourself a panic attack.

Exactly.

Y'know that scene in The Descent when they're trapped underground? (before the talc covered Gollum's show up) I sat in the cinema watching that and suddenly realised that I hadn't taken a breath for what seemed like forever. I don't know if this would be the same, but I'm not paying to sit through 90 odd minutes of it to find out.

Dinner for Schmucks (2010)

Watched this the other day, but have to admit, I really didn't want to write anything about it. Then, I thought about it, and I couldn't just let people fall into its trap.

I found this movie very unfunny, in fact, I fell asleep half-way through. It's not worth renting, watching, pirating, whatever it is you kids do these days.

Devil (2010)

First off, let me stress that this was NOT directed by M. Night, he simply produced it as part of his Night Chronicles.

I will say that the story had a lot of promise, it was definitely not lacking in originality, but faltered in its delivery. It's extremely hard to review this, without spoiling it, so I'll be brief.

If you go in expecting some big plot twist, you won't find it. While the film isn't entirely predictable, I found some elements to be somewhat predictable. Again, the story originality was high, the delivery is where it somewhat failed.

Having said that, you'll find a decent movie in Devil.

I agree with you that the film perfectly captures of the 60's 70's atmosphere. I also agree with you that the movie is about 45 minutes too long. It is worth seeing, if for nothing else, for the performances of Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo.