Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
My top 5 movies are probably these:

Slumdog Millionaire
The Skin I Live In
Parasite
The Battle of Algiers
For A Few Dollars More

But I guess no one else would put these as best movies of all time material?

It may sound stupid but in my opinion the greatest movie ever made is ET. The acting is amazing so is the cinematography. Kids and adult can appreciate the story. Overall, I think it is the best movie of all time. Tough it is not my favorite.

I'll go with Casablanca. Old school Hollywood with stars including Bogart and Bergman, monochrome with great cinematography, set with a morally urgent plot in a morally urgent time but with star-crossed lovers. It has an "exotic", foreign set on a Hollywood back lot, Nazis, suspense, dramatic music and Rick's Cafe with Sam singing As Time Goes By. What else could anybody need unless it's a talking scarecrow that can do song-and-dance routines.

Yoda, you're so right. There's movies in my top 10 that are not great movies. For instance, The Devil's Rejects which I don't compare to what I consider masterpieces like Unforgiven. It's just a movie I enjoy a whole lot and I think is great for what it strives to be. As far as my vote for greatest, it's Goodfellas. That's because it is my favorite and also a film I consider to be a masterpiece.
We all know that your greatest movie of all time is the original I spit on your grave, stop lyin! lol jk, Goodfellas is my favorite movie of all time

I can't argue with wonderful films like Casablanca, and Goodfellas. Loved them both, especially the former.

But I'm more of a traditionalist, and I vacillate between two classics: Citizen Cane, and Vertigo. "Cane" was breathtakingly innovative for it's time, with a compelling story; and it has influenced practically every film maker since. Vertigo was a dreamy and novel thriller/romance by one of our greatest directors. Both films were near perfection.

If you held a gun to my head, I'd probably vote for Vertigo. I get lost in its effects and the impression it leaves on me every time I watch it.

No, not necessarily. You keep saying this, but as many people have pointed out to you many times, not everyone uses these words interchangeably. I would be glad to explain the distinction again.

Also, whether or not you find the distinction sensible or not is completely separate from whether or not people do, in fact, make the distinction. They clearly do, even though you often insist otherwise.

I make that distinction. I definitely have my favorites, but when I read reviews by film critics, I realize how relatively few films I have seen. Without that background it is hard to imagine that I know what a 5 out of 5 film would be, much less what is objectively the best. But I make the distinction between my favorites and the best movies ever.

Yeah, I think it makes people uncomfortable that things like art can exist somewhere between "favorite ice cream flavor" and "objective truth." Technically you can't prove one film is better than another, but there's an obvious correlation between experience and judgment that can't really be ignored. We all understand it's totally meaningless when a seven-year-old tells you Minions is their favorite movie, simply because they haven't seen many films. The more of a thing you've experienced, the more meaningful your reaction to it is, generally, if only for the boring fact that your favorite examples of it have more to compete against.

I'd argue there is such a thing as taste, too, and that you understand why you like things the more you immerse yourself in the form, but that's admittedly a more subjective argument.

Thread not over since my favorite today is Blade Runner.

Ask me again on Monday.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Cobra: Not an oscar worthy film, but I like it. Made me a Stallone fan

I think either Life is Beautiful or Jojo Rabbit is the greatest film ever. They are both heartwarming movies that did a great job of incorporating both style and substance by making me feel invested with the characters and doing every aspect of film perfectly while still taking risks.

Im probably quite rare in the sense that my all time favourite film is also technically brilliant, and was also critically acclaimed. Silence of the Lambs. My top 10 swaps and changes at times, but that has been my favourite film for nearly 25 years. Phenomenal acting, direction, cinematography,and editing, perfect pacing and tension. It will always be my favourite, on top of being, in my opinion, the best film ever made.