Quote of the Day

Tools    

BANNED

1 - I maintain that it was condescending. You'd have to be hopelessly naive, or hopelessly immature, to not realize the things you say she "perhaps" does not realize.

2 - I find it a little hard to believe you don't know that "comrade" was the friend synonym of choice for communists and is often used as a slight in situations like these.

3 - If you want to argue about the war, post in one of the war threads again and you'll be met with much debate. But this thread serves another purpose.

4 - If you can't see how claiming that everyone who disagrees with you is just being fooled and manipulated is condescending, then there's no way I'll be able to explain it to you.

5 - Dubya does not carry Nixon's "legacy" in any way whatsoever. They're not similar, either. That's patently ridiculous and merely repeating it does not constitute a genuine "link."

Originally posted by Django
Ah, Caitlyn, Caitlyn! It's not that I don't have the time or inclination! It's just that a message board is just not the place for that kind of a discussion.
"Fear not those who argue but those who dodge."
-- Dale Carnegie

If you ever drop by San Francisco, I'd be glad to take you out for a drink or dinner and explain it to you in depth, but it just wouldn't be the same on a message board!
"Arguing is really saying, "If you were really more like me, then I could like you better.'"
-- Wayne Dyer

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~ John Stuart Mill

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

My life isn't written very well.
"What distinguishes war, is not that man is slain, but that he is slain, spoiled, crushed by the cruelty, the injustice, the treachery, the murderous hand of man."
--William Ellery Channing

"A bad peace is even worse than war"
--Tacitus

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I'm sorry I missed the Django-Caitlyn conflict here earlier, as I have disagreements with both of them & it would be interesting to watch them go at each others' throats. But I digress.

Originally posted by Yoda
5 - Dubya does not carry Nixon's "legacy" in any way whatsoever. They're not similar, either. That's patently ridiculous and merely repeating it does not constitute a genuine "link."
I like that even though you have firm allegiances to your party, you still recognize a tool when you see one. Nixon sucked, Nixon the movie sucked, and Henry Kissinger isn't in Bush's cabinet. Which makes me agree with you, 100%. Hooray.

Now, enough foreplay:

Fiat justitia - ruat caelum. "Let justice be done, though heaven falls."

*can't resist entering another float in the quote parade*

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-- GK Chesterton

(former signature of mine.)

BANNED
I'm sorry, but I disagree with all of you. In my opinion, NOTHING justifies war--not "moral decay" or any of the other high-sounding rhetorical sound-bites you are flinging at me. Basically, it's easy enough for us to justify war when we are comfortably cushioned in our suburban homes far, far away from the war and watching it all on TV like some bad action movie. Dubya is out of is bloomin' mind, is all I can say. He is playing with human lives as if they were chess pieces and he is so obviously using the war against Iraq for his own personal political ends, it isn't funny. Again, it's easy enough to voice ideals and patriotic rhetoric to justify and rationalize a totally unjustified war when you are far away from the war itself--not so easy when you are in the thick of it, witnessing human brutality--the ugliness of war--firsthand. And believe me, it doesn't get much uglier than war, however "justifiable" that war may be or however expertly you may rationalize it. Sorry you folks disagree with me, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about!

I'm sorry, but I disagree with all of you. In my opinion, NOTHING justifies war
Please tell me you're not advocating utter pacifism.

Basically, it's easy enough for us to justify war when we are comfortably cushioned in our suburban homes far, far away from the war and watching it all on TV like some bad action movie.
Not half as easy as preaching peace at all costs when YOU don't have a brutal dictator with a penchant for dipping your friends in acid living next door.

When you're dealing with a mass-murderer, more people die under peace than war. Why can't you understand that? It's simple logic.

Sorry you folks disagree with me, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about!
Nope, no condescenion there.

My life isn't written very well.
My quotes are from people who haved lived and learned through war, making them wise enough for me to interpret their findings.

Django, you can't stop the consequences from happening now. It's too late. Please, take your passion and figure out how you can use that to mold the future. It's much too late to argue about things that are already in progress.

BANNED

Please tell me you're not advocating utter pacifism.
No, I'm not advocating utter pacifism. War is, sometimes, a necessary evil, but nothing justifies war. You may rationalize the war you are fighting how you wish--every side does--but, in the end, nothing really justifies war.

Not half as easy as preaching peace at all costs when YOU don't have a brutal dictator with a penchant for dipping your friends in acid living next door.
Oh, give me a break! "Living next door"? Like where? On the opposite side of the globe?

When you're dealing with a mass-murderer, more people die under peace than war. Why can't you understand that? It's simple logic..
No, it's not simple logic. It's more hollow rhetoric.

Nope, no condescenion there.
No condescension from me, at least! I am never condescending towards anybody. However, I look around me right now and I see a WHOLE lot of people being condescending towards ME! So, please, no more of this garbage accusing me of condescension! I can only take so much of it!

BANNED
Originally posted by r3port3r66
My quotes are from people who haved lived and learned through war, making them wise enough for me to interpret their findings.
Oh, really? But have you actually fought in a war yourself? Or, for that matter, have any of the people you are quoting actually fought in war themselves? It's one thing to live through a war, in the sense that other people fight the war while you sit back and enjoy the show. It's a very different thing to be in Baghdad right now with shells falling all around you, while you happen to be just another innocent civilian caught in the crossfire--just another statistic, another casualty of war. Then you turn on the TV and you see politicians in a distant land speaking in a foreign language blandly justifying and rationalizing the war you are currently in, after which, they return to their comfortable homes in their comfortable limousines and carry on with their comfortable lives, while the entire city you used to call home has been torn to the ground in an attempt, supposedly, to liberate you from your oppressive government which, apparently, happens to constitute a threat to the stability of the civilized world. PLEASE try quoting your quotes to the people who are actually INVOLVED in this war--the citizens of Iraq, the allied soldiers, the journalists covering the war, the relatives of MIA soldiers, etc. Your words are wasted on the likes of me! It doesn't really affect me in the least--no more than it does any of you!

Originally posted by r3port3r66

Django, you can't stop the consequences from happening now. It's too late. Please, take your passion and figure out how you can use that to mold the future. It's much too late to argue about things that are already in progress.
Well, all I can say is that I did my best! So it didn't make much of a difference, perhaps. But at least I followed my conscience. Some day, perhaps, George W. Bush will be called upon to answer to his conscience. I would be interested in hearing his side of the story when the time comes. That's all I have to say on this issue.

By the way, if you happen to be a fan of George W. Bush, do check out this link: http://www.whitehouse.org/administration/georgew.asp! That's especially for those of you so convinced about Bush's high moral idealism, etc. (Of course, this is intended to be tongue-in-cheek, so I hope I don't get lambasted by the hard-core Republicans in here!)

Otherwise, take it easy!

No, I'm not advocating utter pacifism. War is, sometimes, a necessary evil, but nothing justifies war. You may rationalize the war you are fighting how you wish--every side does--but, in the end, nothing really justifies war.
You're contradicting yourself. By definition, if it cannot be justified, then it's not really necessary.

"Living next door"? Like where? On the opposite side of the globe?
You're misunderstanding. You live in a country of peace and freedom. The Iraqi people do not. You say it's easy for us to sit and justify the war. I say it's easy for you to justify standing idle, because you're not the one being oppressed.

No, it's not simple logic. It's more hollow rhetoric.
Pot, kettle, black, etc. Cait asked you a direct question, you danced around it. I've asked you for evidence in the past, and you've failed to provide it. Your excuse of a lack of time doesn't appear to hold water, either.

I am never condescending towards anybody.
"Sorry you folks disagree with me, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about!"

The Adventure Starts Here!
Ahhh, as I said before, I'm so glad I started this thread.

When I said "Quote of the Day," I didn't mean for everyone to start quoting EACH OTHER.

Sheesh.

Don't leave Django! I love you!
Why Bush sucks part 2

BANNED

You're contradicting yourself. By definition, if it cannot be justified, then it's not really necessary.
Oh, wow! You got me there! I'm sorry! Of course, you're right, as usual!

You're misunderstanding. You live in a country of peace and freedom. The Iraqi people do not. You say it's easy for us to sit and justify the war. I say it's easy for you to justify standing idle, because you're not the one being oppressed.
It's easier for you to justify bombing the crap out of a country in a so-called attempt to liberate it from oppression, it seems!

Pot, kettle, black, etc. Cait asked you a direct question, you danced around it. I've asked you for evidence in the past, and you've failed to provide it. Your excuse of a lack of time doesn't appear to hold water, either.
Believe me, I have more important things to do than dance around the issues. Like I told Caitlyn, it's too complex to go into on a message board.

"Sorry you folks disagree with me, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about!"
That's not being condescending, it's being frank. I'm sorry if I touched a nerve!

BANNED
Originally posted by sunfrog

Don't leave Django! I love you!
Why Bush sucks part 2
"Preemptive Impeachment"! LOL! I like that!

Incidentally, I was going to post that picture of Bush myself! Brilliant expression!

...yes, I know that's what you're trying to point out. That's condescending. She'd have to be remarkably sheltered to be unaware of the fact that politicans are at times very self-interested.
Why Yoda, everything out of my mouth is a conspiracy theory you know that. Politicians are never self-interested. Is there a sarcasm smiley? Where's your proof they're self-interested Yoda? Where? Where?