Mrs. America

Tools    

Just finished ep 1 of this expensively mounted mini-series apparently documenting real-life events that I don't remember at all. Two time Oscar winner Cate Blanchett stars as Phyllis Schlafly, a tightly wound, severely conservative political machine whose personal political agendas are being sidelined because it comes out that she is against the passing of the ERA amendment. She's not only against it, at one point she claims she has never been discriminated against because of her sex. I was too young to remember when a lot of this was happening. Research revealed that Phyllis' son, Andrew, claims this entire mini-series is fake, so take from that what you will. Strictly, as a piece of entertainment, worked for me. Blanchett is always worth watching and also loved James Slattery as Phyllis' husband, Margo Martindale as Bella Abzug, Tracy Ullmann as Betty Friedan, and Uzo Adubo as Shirley Chisholm (who won an Emmy for her work here). Definitely will be watching ep 2.

Ep 2 was centered around Gloria Steinem's role in getting the ERA passed, which according to this mini-series, wasn't what people believed. Steinem's interest in the ERA didn't really move beyond the legalization of abortion and the reveal of why was a little predictable. Loved Phyllis' appearance on Phil Donahue and her attempt to cover her hurt when asked if she had a law degree. Still feel like Phyllis' work to destroy the ERA is going to destroy her marriage to Bob (John Slattery). Rose Byrne is still a little mousy as Steinem but LOVING Blanchett and Margo Martindale as Bella Abzug. Tracy Ullman is also stealing her share of scenes as Betty Friedan. The story's getting a little big to keep track of everything but I'm going to try.

I tried, but could not get into this show.

As ep 3 approached the 1972 Democratic Convention, a theme began to surface as it seemed that there was a lot of infighting, divided loyalties, and varying priorities on both sides of this ERA battle that keep the outcome in question. Not sure whether it was true or it was just added here for entertainment's sake, but I was a little surprised at the inference that a lot of the women on the STOP side of the battle were racists. Every moment that Uzo Aduba and Margo Martindale shared on the screen was gold.

The showdown between Phyllis Schlafly and Betty Friedan was the highlight of ep 4. I'm halfway tempted to read "The Feminine Mystique" since two different characters in this episode told Betty that the book changed their lives. Also want to say at this point that I am LOVING the song score for this series...some of the great unsung heroes of the 60's and 70's are getting play here and are making interesting punctuation to a lot of the story.

Ep 5 reached a fever pitch during the couples debate when Fred Schlafly might have ignited the beginning of the end of his marriage with a single word..."submissive." Blanchett was brilliant as Phyllis blindly expected to have her back when she was making up court cases on the air. Blanchett actually made the hair on the back of my neck stand up when Phyllis told her son about quitting smoking. It's weird to watch Phyllis fight the ERA so hard on the surface when she is, in reality, it's biggest advocate. Loved Joey Coleman as Tom Snyder too.

Ep 6 was boring and confusing, the show is starting to lose me...the canvas is getting way too big for me to keep track of the players. I LOVE Elizabeth Banks but even she couldn't keep me interested in what was going on. I'm going to try to get through ep 7 because it's centered around Bella Abzug (Margo Martindale). Martindale has already been stealing every scene she's in so 7 should be a definite improvement.