My Favorite Child Performances

Tools    

Ronny Howard, The Music Man

Who knew little Winthrop Paroo with the lisp would grow up to be an Oscar-winning director?

Matthew Garber, Mary Poppins

I thought about entering Matthew and Karen Dotrice as one, but I liked Matthew a little better than Karen...crushed when I learned Matthew passed away a few years ago.

Alan Ruck, Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Ruck's scene-stealing turn here was one of many great things about this movie.

James Spader, Pretty in Pink

This was one of Spader's slimiest characters...Stef spent most of the movie telling Blaine (Andrew McCarthy) that Andie (Molly) wasn't good enough for him, mainly because he wanted Andie for himself.

Jodie Foster, Bugsy Malone

Foster proved that she had the chops to carry a movie in this clever send-up of gangster movies where all the characters are played by children and the machine guns shoot whipped cream.

Great and fun list! I will look forward to see more.

I damn sure hope to see Justin Henry in Kramer vs Kramer, Quvenzhané Wallis in Beast of the Sounthern Wild and Jordan Nagai in Up (if you are counting great voice acting as well, but probably not).

Great and fun list! I will look forward to see more.

I damn sure hope to see Justin Henry in Kramer vs Kramer, Quvenzhané Wallis in Beast of the Sounthern Wild and Jordan Nagai in Up (if you are counting great voice acting as well, but probably not).
I have not seen Beast of the Southern Wild or Up.

Seth Green, Radio Days

In his first major screen role, Green more than held his own with a powerhouse cast and director Woody Allen as a childhood extension of Woody himself in this affectionate look at Woody's childhood memories.

Lacey Chabert, Mean Girls

Chabert was never blown off the screen by Rachel McAdams as the Plastic who kissed Regina George's butt but secretly wanted to BE her...Chabert created a character here that was an unsettling combination of unsympathetic and pathetic at the same time.

Huckleberry Fox, Terms of Endearment

Fox makes me cry every single time I watch this movie in the scene where he visits his mother (Debra Winger) in her hospital room...I have to stop writing now, I'm getting upset just thinking about this scene.

Elizabeth Taylor, National Velvet

I believe La Liz was 15 when she made this movie, though she looks about 24...when she first auditioned for the role, she was told she was too short and went home and actually found some stretching exercises that actually added two inches to her height, she got the role, and the rest is history.

Barry Miller, Fame

OK, he was 22 when he made this movie, but this performance is the best thing about this movie and that's saying a lot.

Kevin Hooks, Sounder

Hooks held his own against acting powerhouses like Cicely Tyson and Paul Winfield in this moving coming-of-age story that took everyone by surprise in 1972.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Elizabeth Taylor, National Velvet

I believe La Liz was 15 when she made this movie, though she looks about 24...when she first auditioned for the role, she was told she was too short and went home and actually figured found some stretching exercises that actually added two inches to her height, she got the role, and the rest is history.
Liz was still 12 when the film premiered at theatres.

Mara Wilson, Mrs. Doubbtfire

Every time she appeared in this movie, I wanted to reach through the screen and pinch her little cheeks...what a cutie.
Aww yes I agree, so cute

I wanted to be Hayley Mills when I was a kid. My dad took me to see several films of hers in the sixties and in our local cinema there was a hallway with lots of publicity shots of actors including hers. I used to think she was like a perfect film star.

Jodie Foster was an excellent actor even as a kid. It is a shame about the early death of Matthew Garber. Mary Poppins is one of my all time favourite films and both children were perfect in it.

Gideo, I would second MM's recommendation of Quvenzhané Wallis in Beasts of the Southern Wild. Amazing to think she was only six when they were filming.

Christopher Serrone, Goodfellas

Serrone is impressive during the opening scenes of the film as a young Henry Hill before Ray Liotta takes over the role as an adult.