What would you do if you won the lottery(one billion)?

Tools    

Sudoku Blackbelt
Give half of it away to people who need it.

Buy a huge chunk of land. Buy tractors, bulldozers, backhoes, dump trucks, etc., then set about digging some big holes.

Very cathartic.

Build a house with no stairs. Just elevators and Batpoles. Maybe a gigantic sized pit, filled with colored balls, like they have at McDonalds. Then you have the option of going down the Batpole, or diving from the 2nd floor down to the 1st.

Hired someone to do nothing but empty the dishwasher.

Oh, and buy a banjo.

I wouldn't go nuts and buy 12 pink Cadillacs like Elvis. But I would buy a few select toys. I might have three residences world wide, and I would spend my time alternating between my charity or non-profit organization, and investing in movie productions.

It's always been a dream of mine to captain a fishing charter boat also. Yep, I would buy a buy a few boats and charge the going rate and take folks out on trips.

Of course, my family would never have to worry about money again. And I would pay off my nephew's $200,000 student loan for medical school.

Oh, who am I kidding? I would blow it all on booze and women

Sudoku Blackbelt
Oh, I forgot one. I'm surprised nobody had this on their list.

Build my own IMAX.

That is a tuff question! I got a list of things I would do lol But i would probly share some with the family

I nearly won a million last night on the Lotto Draw, only one number short of the target. Gutted.

If I won a substancial amount, I'd open my own Billiard Hall and hire a bunch of Gophers to run it for me.

I nearly won a million last night on the Lotto Draw, only one number short of the target. Gutted.
If only one number off, you must have won the £2000ish prize if you got 5 numbers then. But then are you on about a different one to the 'National Lottery'? 400 people got 5 numbers, if you were the only one you would have won £855,000!

Oooo

I would sit on it for about a month and think about different ways what to do with it. I certainly wouldn't advertise it. I'm sure I could get a pretty good interest deal with a major bank , not risk anything and live well just off the the interest and not touching the principle.
I would probablly get a house on a remote island and equip it with every gadget imaginable. I would create a charity organization which I would supervise and help impoverished kids with potential. I might buy a condo on Park Aveue in New york to combat rock fever and have my own plane for which I would get a liscence to fly. I would collect a small group of toughest
friends and have them come over to the island and live there with their families and never have to worry about any other kind of work. We would be preapred for any eventuality. I'd install an atomic shelter and provide it with food and beverage to last at least two years.
I'd form a creative think tank of select geniuses to ponder and solve major word problems and I would make sure that I was persona grata to the most influential world leaders. Hell, I'm just starting to think and I haven't even got the money yet.

Semper Fooey
I wouldn't do any of that stuff.

If I had that kind of money I wouldn't worry about just living off the interest.

I would track down all the old cartoons I grew up watching on TV that never get shown anymore and are not on DVD like Fox and the Crow, Bosko, Farmer Alfalfa, Andy Panda, and other forgotten crap.

Oh, and Clutch Cargo. Love Clutch Cargo .

Then I would buy a cable channel and puit them on the air 24 hours a day.

You don't have to be on drugs to watch Clutch Cargo, but it helps.

Found this thread and bumped it! (I've finally learned to "Search" first!)

In honor of the record-breaking Powerball news.
This is really a foreign topic to me since I don't play the lottery or even gamble.
But I've been interested in some of the related questions that have come up...

One thing I can't understand is how people ask winners for money. Like, people will call up relatives who've won that they've never even met or maybe haven't spoken to in decades. There are stories of winners getting called by people they don't even remember (former neighbors, co-workers from part-time jobs they had as teenagers, classmates from grade school, old teachers, college roommates, 7th-cousins-of-uncles-by-marriage's-in-laws'-sister's-friend's-ex-husband's-dog-sitter, etc.) all looking for gifts of money.

My question is - how does someone call up a virtual stranger, someone they barely ever had an association with, or distant relative they may have had a falling out with years ago, and ask for money when they learn that person's hit the lottery?

Some stuff I can see myself doing:

- Give a lot to NAMI and maybe other organizations meant to help the mentally ill.

- Helping at least one aspiring filmmaker get a movie made. I think a lot of people with talent are unable to make the films they want to for financial reasons, which is a bummer, so I'd like to help some people get their films made.

- And of course, I would want to put the money towards a film of my own, or on an incredible music production studio. As for my film, thankfully I'm not interested in incredibly polished big budget films, for the most part, so I would try to save as much as I can and make something cheap, like a trashy Fulci-type horror, something influenced by 70's exploitation - the kind of stuff I admire.

So, I'd have a lot of budgeting and thinking to do.

....This is really a foreign topic to me since I don't play the lottery or even gamble.

My question is - how does someone call up a virtual stranger, someone they barely ever had an association with, or distant relative they may have had a falling out with years ago, and ask for money when they learn that person's hit the lottery?
I don't gamble either, I'm WAY too frugal for that. I guess when money is at stake, there's not much to lose by calling disgruntled Uncle Al and asking him for a new car. You never know he just might.

Two chicks at the same time.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I would pay off my debts, buy a modest house, and donate to favorite charities (Rattie Ratz Rescue, North Star Small Animal Rescue).

I'd also cut back to working only a part time schedule and look into volunteering and/or fostering for the rescues linked above.
My response from 2011.

Nothing's changed, really.

My first priority would be aiding relatives with health issues (like my elderly parents).

But I've had one fantasy of creating a Reality TV Show. I'm not a fan of "Reality" TV, but this one would consist of picking maybe 3 needy families (or maybe just one per season) and give them a couple million dollars, then follow their story on what they do with it & how they deal with it. Kind of a social experiment.

This reminds me of a documentary I once saw where the filmmakers gave a homeless man a large sum of money, then followed his story. By the end of a year (or whatever the amount of time was), the guy was broke and homeless again. He did stupid things like bought some woman he met in a bar a giant, luxury, pick-up truck that cost around $50,000 because she was nice to him and became his girlfriend for a little while. I don't remember the name of the film.

But the moral of the story seemed to be something along the lines of: your situations don't make you who you are, but rather they reveal who you are. Or that you create your situations, they don't create you.
I'm sure that's a generality, though, as there are some people who've experienced devastating events, and who, with a little help, could and would get back on their feet again.