What would you do if you won the lottery(one billion)?

Tools    

If I won a significant amount of money (the lottery would never give away a billion dollars), I would pay off my debts, buy a modest house, and donate to favorite charities (Rattie Ratz Rescue, North Star Small Animal Rescue).

I'd also cut back to working only a part time schedule and look into volunteering and/or fostering for the rescues linked above.

I searched before posting this....Couldn't find any similar threads..

Well....What would you do if you won a lottery(one billion)?
I will resign my job and then....i don't know...what to do...what u do?
I've never quite understood people who want to quit work and just lay around. But that's because I always loved my work (journalism) and can think of nothing more boring than just sitting waiting for something to happen.

Never could understand the desire for a big home--I remember at one time Cassius Clay was considering buying a house here in Houston's plush River Oaks section that was priced for humpteen millions and had something like 15-20 bathrooms (relator I interviewed wasn't sure how many total rooms were in and around the house, but he had a pretty good count on the number of toilets for some reason).

A big house doesn't mean that much to me--I'm not looking to be in the hotel or resort business for relatives and friends. I would be more interested in getting a house built of the design, with the materials, and in a location I liked--the house itself would have surprising few rooms, maybe as few as 4--with maybe 2-3 self-contained guest houses built some distance from the main abode. I would spend a lot on landscaping, however; I like for a place to look nice and be well-maintained.

Might have one vacation home at some nice location--like somewhere to go in the fall to watch the color of leaves change. On the other hand, why buy one vacation home when there are thousands of luxury hotels around the world? In fact, why buy a home at all when you can hop from one location to another and always have room service?

I wouldn't be one to collect cars or other vehicles. Never cared much for cars really. Prefer Japanese pickups. And I've always been rough on vehicles--drive them hard, maintain them poorly, and junk 'em when they break down. All I ask for a vehicle is that it starts when I get in it and will stop when I hit the brakes.

But if I were filthy rich, I would buy a private aircraft and a crew to maintain and fly it. I like to fly, but I can't stand standing in lines to be patted down by rent-a-cops at a commercial air terminal.

I wouldn't be one to give money to relatives--nothing spoils relations faster than having money to "hand out." Seems to me it would be better to form a family trust that would provide everyone additional income. (I don't like just sitting around so why encourage them to?) I would provide money for college to my grandkids, but I wouldn't pay their way through the "best" school or hand over money directly to them. I was successful in college because I had to sacrifice and work and serve (in the military in my case) to get through. I love my grandkids too much to let them party through college on someone else's money.

First thing I'd do after winning a big lottery would be to hire a really good financial planner and tax expert to help invest the principle and live off the interest--and a really good attorney to sue them for breach of fiduciary duty and recover any loss in case they weren't as capable and honest as they should be. But there's some thing I'd have to do before all of that--buy a lottery ticket. Never have bought one for myself, although I once bought a dozen for a friend for his birthday and gave it to him intact and unscratched. I've never subscribed to the myth of getting something for nothing.

that's what she said...
here is a few things i'd do:

1. have bacon EVERY morning
2. eat out at bob chinns or red lobster every Friday night
3. buy a ford fiesta
4. buy another mini doxi
5. move out of my bf's parents house
6. get some new clothes
7. go on a really nice vacation
8. buy nice xmas presents for friends and family
9. donate some to charity
10. save the rest for retirment/when i die give it away in my will

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I searched before posting this....Couldn't find any similar threads..

Well....What would you do if you won a lottery(one billion)?
I will resign my job and then....i don't know...what to do...what u do?

A day at Barrett Jackson with my buds

then

A system of cells interlinked
Pay off all my bills, pay off all my families bills, buy a few homes for said family. Then I would begin construction on my dream dwelling, which would have a massive music studio as well as a Mini-theater with red curtains and everything.

I'd definitely quit my job! (we all aren't lucky enough to have jobs we love) I'd move out into the country too. I'd donate to animal shelters and St. Judes. Hire someone to do my grocery shopping and run errands, so I never have to deal with the real world again. I would certainly have a theater built in my home(good call Sedai)...other than that I got no plans, probably die at an early age of a massive coranary heart attack brought on by lack of exercise and too much movie buttered popcorn

If I won the lottery, I would keep that ***** off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush.

I'd keep frequenting the same places, going to the same gym, keep my job (provided I have one). I wouldn't do more travelling in the sense of going to see things (I get homesick after 4-5 days), but I would attend a lot of sport events live, like World Cup Football (real football, not that stuff where a bunch of mama boys stuffed with padding bounce into each other), Grand Slam tennis, cycling and boxing.

I'd do the boring stuff: pay down all my family's debts and save and invest almost all of the rest. I'd probably buy a house in a nicer neighborhood but I doubt I'd spring for a new car of tons of other new things.

Might not even quit my job, though since part of it's a family business, I think it would probably change the nature of it anyway.

I'd do the boring stuff: pay down all my family's debts and save and invest almost all of the rest. I'd probably buy a house in a nicer neighborhood but I doubt I'd spring for a new car of tons of other new things.

Might not even quit my job, though since part of it's a family business, I think it would probably change the nature of it anyway.
A billion would make Yoda state senator a reality.

If I won the lottery, I would keep that ***** off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush.

I'd keep frequenting the same places, going to the same gym, keep my job (provided I have one).
Brilliant! Nearly exact answer for me as well. My life wouldn't change much at all. Except I would quit working. I'm a freelance programmer/web developer, I work from home, and no one really knows what I do anyway. I could stop working and no one would notice, hell, most people think I don't work now anyway since I work from home and do all my work at night while everyone is sleeping. I just supercharged my Hummer so I don't think I'll be changing that anytime soon, I like my truck. I would DEFINITELY upgrade the home theater, I have a 92" now, there would be a 300" in my future.

first of all just think then think again.. then don't believe my ears and counting))

probably many projects(like be director and producer, of (rare..)one or more movies) and trying sharing.. some donations to poor children(need..humans)

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I would do the standard thing I guess,--- buy a custom white suit with a top-hat, mega-expensive gold chains, bright red sparkly shoes, a gigantic radio, and dance the hustle through every bad neighborhood in NY and CA.

The only thing worse than people with no taste winning and spending it all on hideous, eye gouging atrocities are people who wouldn't do anything really and go back to work. You people shouldn't be allowed to play, let alone win.

A billion dollars is serious cash. I definetely would want to do somethen legacyish..i mean cmon if there is a better "job" than philantherapist, i haven't heard of it.

I'd love to buy a professional lacrosse franchise and bring it to the peg', and I'm sure for a few bucks i could get Van Halen's original lineup together for my Birthday Bash or better yet New Years eve.

Winnen a few million is a whole differnt kettle of fish. Would have to be practical and pay off mortgages and such, but a billion..heck I'd have to get a proper garage built for my collection :

I would charter a flight somewhere on a private Gulfstream. No TSA lines, no hanging around the airport, and no getting a middle seat between 2 eating professionals.

This is what i'd do...

0. put it in the bank for 14 years
1. have bacon EVERY morning (like lundy1026)
2. go on vacation
3. donate 500 Million to Water.org over the course of my lifetime
4. put my website on the front page of youtube/google/aol for a few weeks
5. become batman

After my Bronze statue finishes cooling off from the kiln. I'd build me a rocketship and get the f*ck off this crazy ass planet.