24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Hard Times is pretty awesome. It landed in my top 10 favorite sports films when I wrote it up for this thread. Thanks to whoever recommended it (Torgo, I think).

Hard Times is pretty awesome. It landed in my top 10 favorite sports films when I wrote it up for this thread. Thanks to whoever recommended it (Torgo, I think).
Glad you liked it.
Let's just hope Thief also finds it podcast-worthy.

@Siddon 5 left
@Thief 6 left 5 left
@TheUsualSuspect 11 left
@neiba 9 left
@SpelingError 2 left
@Wyldesyde19 3 left
@edarsenal 2 left

I won't be extending the deadline, which is April 20th at 11:59 PM CT.
Make that 5, pal!

@Siddon 5 left
@Thief 6 left
@TheUsualSuspect 11 left
@neiba 9 left
@SpelingError 2 left
@Wyldesyde19 3 left
@edarsenal 2 left

I count 4 what am I missing ? Whispers, Secret in Their Eyes, In a Glass Cage, Hard Times....

Could you extend it for five more seconds? I want to make sure I have enough time to finish it.

When it's over, I'll celebrate with some champagne...in a glass Cage.

Ahh, that'll be the end of the hard times, and we're gonna have la dolce vita

Raul is putting the pressure on us...

Anyway, I'll see if I can post my Hard Times review later today. Meanwhile...

With the deadline set at April 20, this is my tentative schedule to which I will not subject...

March, Week 1: In a Glass Cage
March, Week 2: The Whisperers
March, Week 3: The Secret in Their Eyes
March, Week 4: Vampyr
March/April, Week 5/1: La Dolce Vita, Hard Times
April, Week 2: The Day of the Jackal
April, Week 3: Barry Lyndon, The Sea Inside
April, Week 4: Beasts of the Southern Wild
My options for today are either La Dolce Vita, The Secret in Their Eyes, or The Day of the Jackal. One of those will go down... TONIGHT! [cue fanfare]

BTW, what happens if one participant doesn't see all the films? Does he/she get eliminated, and therefore his/her film?

BTW, what happens if one participant doesn't see all the films? Does he/she get eliminated, and therefore his/her film?

If it's one or two films the deadline typically gets pushed back till they finish. If not they are out as is the film

Raul sounds pretty serious about not extending the deadline.

He doesn't have the balls to set a hard limit...not in these

Hard Times (1975)

Well this was a nice little noir period piece. Hard Times tells the story of gambling and boxing during the depression era. It has a certain Peckinpah quality to it. Apparently Hill wanted someone young for the lead role...boy I'm glad he was talked out of that one because Bronson is fantastic in this. Bronson is 52 at this point...looks fantastic and adds a depth and quality to the fight scenes.

James Coburn is the costar and it's nice to see him as a wormy type fellow. If you can't get Lee Marvin grab James Coburn and he'll do in a pinch. What I love about this film is that it's a solid period piece. This is a movie that moves from set piece to set piece and feels like the 30's

I don't know if I'm going to score this highly but it was a fun watch.

@Siddon 5 left
@Thief 6 left 5 left 4 left
@TheUsualSuspect 11 left
@neiba 9 left
@SpelingError 2 left
@Wyldesyde19 3 left
@edarsenal 2 left

Make that 4, pal!

Seriously, though... I still have 4 films to watch, but considering I've already seen 2 of them, I guess it's as good a time as any to say that this has been a really great batch of films you've all recommended. It's my first HOF here and it has been a real joy. I'm already puzzling over how the hell I will rank 3 or 4 at the top. Thanks to everybody.