24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Rudderless (2014) -

Initially, I was really impressed with this film. I found its story deeply compelling and I really liked the final act, in particular. While I still think it's a good movie, the more I thought about it, the less impressed I was with the whole affair.

Before I get into my issues with the film though, I'll talk about what I liked, which was mainly the emotional core involving Sam. It's hard to discuss this aspect without spoiling it, but I really loved the way it developed throughout the film. Though you may dislike Sam, I did understand why he did what he was doing and I found the idea of him performing his son's music to help him cope with his death really compelling. Also, without spoiling anything, what you learn in the third act complicates your feelings on Sam even more. The significance of the film's title is that, just as a boat without a rudder drifts aimlessly without no clear purpose, the same could be said for Sam. After the opening, he has an unstable position of living in a boat and he plans to perform only one of Josh's songs, but after meeting Quentin, he spirals off from there, with his band obtaining more popularity around the city he lives in as the film goes on. Yet, in spite of all this, he still shows a lack of interest in expanding the band's popularity at times.

There were also a couple minor things I enjoyed about this film. The first one was its portrayal of how Rudderless grew in popularity as the film went on. I generally like seeing artists grow in popularity and recognition in films and I think this movie gave a fine depiction of this. I also liked that Billy Crudup and Anton Yelchin were legitimately good singers as, nowadays, this can be hard to come by in Hollywood. Finally, I enjoyed some of the film's humor. Like, not all the humor worked (more on that in a bit), but I did appreciate the occasional humorous line or gag.

With that being said, I think the main problem with this film was that there was too much going on in it. While I found the emotional core compelling, I wasn't so hot on the conflict between Sam and Alaird, the agent of the boat harbor. Within this sub-plot lied a few scenes where Sam urinated into the lake in public (sometimes to the view of children) and another scene where he endangered the lives of multiple people on the lake. These actions culminated with Alaird asking for him to stop and threatening to kick him off the lake. Though this sub-plot would've still been unnecessary, these scenes could've worked decently enough if the film had remained firmly on Alaird's side, but instead, these scenes came off as humorous and if the movie was trying to get us to sympathize with Sam. This sub-plot clashed poorly against the main conflict, which didn't ask for us to sympathize with Sam. As a result, this kind of muddled the film's message, in my opinion. I was also left confused by the conflict with Kate, Josh's ex-girlfriend. While I'm not sure the story would've been improved if she was in the film more, I did find it weird that Selena Gomez, the most well-known celebrity in the film, was cast in the role. Given how little she was in the film, her scenes felt like cameos.

I was also surprised that Josh's music got as popular as it did. Like, don't get me wrong. I did like the music Rudderless performed, but Quentin and everybody else who listened to it reacted to the music as if it was one of the best things they ever listened to. I found this aspect kind of cheesy. To be honest though, I think it's really hard to get the "character is a great artist" premise to work. In Amadeus, for instance, this premise obviously worked given the source material. In World's Greatest Dad though, I had difficulties with believing that Lance's mediocre writing got as popular as it did. Really, if a film wants me to believe that a character is excellent at creating something (music, poetry, etc.) to the point that everybody appears to be blown away by it, their work better be that great for this premise to work. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with this film.

Overall, even though I have more bad than good to say about this film, I did enjoy it quite a bit. I think the emotional core of the film is strong enough to shine through the narrative issues (which are admittedly a lot) and, in the end, I came away satisfied with the film. I'm not sure if it's something I'll revisit, but I definitely enjoyed my time with it.

Next up: The Secret in Their Eyes

Good review. I didn't have a problem with how much enthusiasm the audiences had for the band. Since they're a local band, much of that enthusiasm is prideful, especially since the movie takes place in a small town in Oklahoma that doesn't appear to have much to do for fun besides boating.

Not to spoil The Full Monty too much, but the extreme enthusiasm reminded me how much there was for the male strippers in it. They're not terribly handsome, but they're still the pride of a destitute small town desperate for something to cheer about.

Good review. I didn't have a problem with how much enthusiasm the audiences had for the band. Since they're a local band, much of that enthusiasm is prideful, especially since the movie takes place in a small town in Oklahoma that doesn't appear to have much to do for fun besides boating.

Not to spoil The Full Monty too much, but the extreme enthusiasm reminded me how much there was for the male strippers in it. They're not terribly handsome, but they're still the pride of a destitute small town desperate for something to cheer about.
I guess I can kinda get behind that. I was just surprised that their band appeared to be the only one which grew so popular out of all the other musicians who performed at the tavern (which I assume is a lot).

For what it's worth though, I think that World's Greatest Dad is a far worse offender to this criticism than this film was.

Local pride or not, I think we can agree that the "Wheels on the Bus" scene should have been cut, however. Ugh.
Amen to that. That scene was really cringy.

In A Glass Cage: I watched it...and I'm sending in my list.

I will write a couple obligatory lines. To me this movie is about the holocaust in the same way the Rambo movies are about Vietnam. In my opinion they really aren't about them at all. WWII is the foundation upon which an exploitation film was built. I know that type of thing appeals to the more genre minded crowd, it just doesn't to me.

I have come to realize that as a Tarantino fan that opinion makes me seem like a hypocrite often, but I can live with that. This movie just crosses a line my brain doesn't want to go.

Done with the watches. On to the next thing.

Local pride or not, I think we can agree that the "Wheels on the Bus" scene should have been cut, however. Ugh.
But then we wouldn't have gotten to see a man in his 40s embarrass and manipulate two early 20-something women into doing something they weren't into.

To me, the issue with how popular the band gets is compounded by the fact that being wildly successful wasn't at all essential to the plot. They just needed to be popular enough that they would be welcome back at open mic nights and get a decent audience. Having them completely sell out the coffee house each night with rapturous fans was gilding the lily. I lived in a small town with a very talented and popular local band. They pulled good sized audiences, but not dozens and dozens of them.

There were quite a few moments where the film "went big" (like the regatta sequence) to the detriment of the effecting emotional center of the film. I wish someone with a firmer hand had edited those parts down (or out).

The trick is not minding
To me, the issue with how popular the band gets is compounded by the fact that being wildly successful wasn't at all essential to the plot. They just needed to be popular enough that they would be welcome back at open mic nights and get a decent audience. Having them completely sell out the coffee house each night with rapturous fans was gilding the lily. I lived in a small town with a very talented and popular local band. They pulled good sized audiences, but not dozens and dozens of them.
I’ve seen the opposite. It is entirely possible. I haven’t written my review yet, but I will say I found their success totally believable. I’ve seen many local bands pull in dozens upon dozens of fans because of their popularity. And they were just cover bands. I’m not sure why it isn’t possible to believe that they were capable of doing the same.

The trick is not minding
Rudderless

William H. Macy’s (in his directing debut!) grabs you in the first ten minutes and never lets go. It is a descent into one mans sense of loss and despair, 2 years after a senseless tragedy.
Sam, played convincingly by Billy Crudup in a performance that is at times a tad too over dramatic, suffers the loss of his son, and aspiring musician, during a school shooting.
After finding a box of his music, he plays them one night at a local coffee shop during open mic night. There he meets Quentin (Anton Yelchin) and is convinced to start a band.
What follows is Sam building an ersatz father-son relationship to replace the one he lost. One complicated by a great twist I didn’t see coming.
I found myself tapping my feet to the music that, although not exactly amazing, was catchy, and reminded me of nights at local clubs in Reading, Pa to watch the local cover bands. Even more impressive as I’ve read that they performed their own music. (Please correct me if that’s isn’t true)
If there is one issue I have, it’s the script. Sams alcoholism isn’t given a serious treatment and is often glossed over, and his grief sometimes is pushed to the background rather then dealing with it. Some of his scenes involving his outbursts (showing up to work drunk and kissing his secretary, his drunken boat ride while playing his guitar to loss off the other boaters, his constant peeing in the lake in full view of a child) are slightly distracting, and too cute for such a serious film. It’s a tad manipulative at times, But overall, this is far better then I expected and is a rather pleasant surprise for me here.
Good pick. Really good pick.

Also, Regarding the “wheels on the bus” song, I found it funny and glad they kept it in. I don’t agree that the two 20 something year old girls weren’t “into it” as they clearly were having a fun time, even if they were reluctant at the beginning. If pressed, I’m quite sure they would agree that they had a fun time and would admit they were glad they stayed.

Rudderless

Also, Regarding the “wheels on the bus” song, I found it funny and glad they kept it in. I don’t agree that the two 20 something year old girls weren’t “into it” as they clearly were having a fun time, even if they were reluctant at the beginning. If pressed, I’m quite sure they would agree that they had a fun time and would admit they were glad they stayed.
It was a minor annoyance, but when you invite someone to do something and they politely decline and give an excuse, openly calling them out on it and forcing their hand (socially speaking) is gross behavior. In the context of teaching a shy young man how to behave toward women, I thought it was kind of skeevy.

If I were in my early 20s and some guy tried to hit on me with the aggressive help of his mid-40s/50s wingman, I would take that as a huge red flag. Especially if the behavior on display was "You said no, but I'm going to try and find a way to subvert that."

But then, requesting "The Wheels on the Bus" is kind of a tool move, so I wasn't super into their characters either. Everyone in that whole sequence annoyed me.

The trick is not minding
It was a minor annoyance, but when you invite someone to do something and they politely decline and give an excuse, openly calling them out on it and forcing their hand (socially speaking) is gross behavior. In the context of teaching a shy young man how to behave toward women, I thought it was kind of skeevy.

If I were in my early 20s and some guy tried to hit on me with the aggressive help of his mid-40s/50s wingman, I would take that as a huge red flag. Especially if the behavior on display was "You said no, but I'm going to try and find a way to subvert that."

But then, requesting "The Wheels on the Bus" is kind of a tool move, so I wasn't super into their characters either. Everyone in that whole sequence annoyed me.
Yeah, I get your point of view. I can see how it would be off putting to some, even if I personally found it innocent.

But then we wouldn't have gotten to see a man in his 40s embarrass and manipulate two early 20-something women into doing something they weren't into.
Why did we have to bring Andrew Cuomo into this?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I finished watching the last movie on the list, La Dolce Vita, today and will have my review ready next week.
It's been fun. I'll stick around to read the rest of your reviews and judge your opinions.

It's been fun. I'll stick around to read the rest of your reviews and judge your opinions.
The best thing about finishing early is that you get to sit back, loiter around the thread like a sulky 13 year old at a 7-Eleven, and judge. Sometimes writing multi-paragraph responses to a small, incidental thing others mention in their write-up.

At least, that's what SOME people might choose to do.

WARNING: spoilers below

Rudderless

William H. Macy’s (in his directing debut!) grabs you in the first ten minutes and never lets go. It is a descent into one mans sense of loss and despair, 2 years after a senseless tragedy.
Sam, played convincingly by Billy Crudup in a performance that is at times a tad too over dramatic, suffers the loss of his son, and aspiring musician, during a school shooting.
After finding a box of his music, he plays them one night at a local coffee shop during open mic night. There he meets Quentin (Anton Yelchin) and is convinced to start a band.
What follows is Sam building an ersatz father-son relationship to replace the one he lost. One complicated by a great twist I didn’t see coming.
I found myself tapping my feet to the music that, although not exactly amazing, was catchy, and reminded me of nights at local clubs in Reading, Pa to watch the local cover bands. Even more impressive as I’ve read that they performed their own music. (Please correct me if that’s isn’t true)
If there is one issue I have, it’s the script. Sams alcoholism isn’t given a serious treatment and is often glossed over, and his grief sometimes is pushed to the background rather then dealing with it. Some of his scenes involving his outbursts (showing up to work drunk and kissing his secretary, his drunken boat ride while playing his guitar to loss off the other boaters, his constant peeing in the lake in full view of a child) are slightly distracting, and too cute for such a serious film. It’s a tad manipulative at times, But overall, this is far better then I expected and is a rather pleasant surprise for me here.
Good pick. Really good pick.

As far as I've read, Crudup and Yelchin do sing their parts, and Crudup does play the guitar. According to IMDb, he took up to playing while filming Almost Famous.

The trick is not minding
As far as I've read, Crudup and Yelchin do sing their parts, and Crudup does play the guitar. According to IMDb, he took up to playing while filming Almost Famous.
Thank you. I had read that as well, but never hurts to have it double checked.