24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Hey @Citizen Rules, see what I found today but I did not buy. It's the price of a used Criterion DVD but it's NOT a Criterion.

Yeah, it doesn't feel right to get a non-Criterion version of the film. You aren't getting the full benefit of it.
If that copy was $9.99 or so, I would have bought it.. I just won't pay the price of a used non-Criterion from Vintage Stock at a used Criterion price. I have bought some used Criterion from them so I know the average is between $24.99 to $19.99. Sometimes they have 3 for the price of 2 and that isn't a bad deal when you are talking $50.00 for 3 overall.

They had a used copy of The Sea Inside for $3.99 but didn't buy it because I have a copy already and to be lazy, I can rent from Amazon for $2.99.

If that copy was $9.99 or so, I would have bought it.. I just won't pay the price of a used non-Criterion from Vintage Stock at a used Criterion price. I have bought some used Criterion from them so I know the average is between $24.99 to $19.99. Sometimes they have 3 for the price of 2 and that isn't a bad deal when you are talking $50.00 for 3 overall.

They had a used copy of The Sea Inside for $3.99 but didn't buy it because I have a copy already and to be lazy, I can rent from Amazon for $2.99.
For me, if a film has a Criterion release, I usually try to get that one, not only for the upgraded video/audio quality but also for all the bonus features and essays they have. They can be interesting to watch/read. Although, some Criterion discs are more expensive than others so, in their cases, I just buy the non-Criterion blu ray discs.

For me, if a film has a Criterion release, I usually try to get that one, not only for the upgraded video/audio quality but also for all the bonus features and essays they have. They can be interesting to watch/read. Although, some Criterion discs are more expensive than others so, in their cases, I just buy the non-Criterion blu ray discs.
Don't I know.. I have the Criterion of Shoah... it wasn't cheap!

Don't I know.. I have the Criterion of Shoah... it wasn't cheap!

Also, here's the most expensive Criterion boxset I've come across:

https://www.criterion.com/films/2936...ilms-1912-2012

It's on sale now, but its normal price is $400 plus tax.

But seriously, they didn't have a Criterion copy of La Dolce Vita. I found the non Criterion while looking for The Man From Nowhere in the Foreign film section, which is where The Sea Inside was.

On the website, they sell the used Criterion for $24.99.

https://vintagestock.com/store/produ...20Dolce%20Vita

Also, here's the most expensive Criterion boxset I've come across:

https://www.criterion.com/films/2936...ilms-1912-2012

It's on sale now, but its normal price is $400 plus tax.
Not something I would buy but thats ok.

Oh, I don't own it either. I'm not really into sports.
I'm into WW2, that's why I have Shoah. I think Night and Fog is more shocking than Shoah. Let's see, 30 minutes of film versus 9+ hours, the shorter has more effect on me than the long.

I'm into WW2, that's why I have Shoah. I think Night and Fog is more shocking than Shoah. Let's see, 30 minutes of film versus 9+ hours, the shorter has more effect on me than the long.
Night and Fog is amazing. It's probably the hardest film I've ever watched, but yeah, it's incredible.

Come and See is my favorite war film though.

Night and Fog is amazing. It's probably the hardest film I've ever watched, but yeah, it's incredible.

Come and See is my favorite war film though.
I haven't seen Come and See.

My favorite WW2 English speaking film is Defiance. My favorite German WW2 film is Lore. My favorite Non-English/German WW2 film is Äideistä Parhain, which I recently recommended to @Citizen Rules.

My favorite WW2 English speaking film is Defiance. My favorite German WW2 film is Lore. My favorite Non-English/German WW2 film is Äideistä Parhain, which I recently recommended to @Citizen Rules.
I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the recs!

I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the recs!
Äideistä Parhain is a very cute drama from Finland about Finnish children being placed with Swedish families during the war.

Both are great but the fact that you can feel what happened in those concentration camps with no old footage. Just all current footage with the survivors talking about their experiences. Shoah is astounding.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Beasts of the Southern Wild

BotSW has a sense of originality to it that doesn't involve something flashy or gimmicky, which is I think a rare feat in cinema. Visually it balances this odd sense of garbage/dirtiness with beauty/fantasy. I found this to be rather striking and worked in the film's favour. We see the beauty through the eyes of the little girl aka Hushpuppy, who lives in the "Bathub" which is a place people are refusing to leave despite the dangers of flooding taking their homes. That POV can be a little distracting at times because we can low level shaky-cam techniques than can be more distracting than artistically relevant.

Quvenzhané Wallis Wallis delivers a rather honest performance and she works well with Dwight Henry who plays her father. Children in movies are a tough sell because it is so easy for them to be annoying little brats. The one question I do tend to bring up with child actors though is can they continue to do this or are they a one-trick pony? This is specific to new-comers. Wallis hasn't had too much of a career after Beasts, she starred in the stinker Annie and the gut-wrenching 12 years a slave, which I don't even remember her role in. What can she do when she is older and loses that sense of innocence that young children have?

I loved the music, specifically the toe-tapping opening bit. The sheer fun these characters have in the opening is contagious and I really dug the fantasy element that emerges from the story. The film does drag a bit in places, which stalls some enjoyment from it. at 93 minutes, this film should fly by, but it doesn't.

Suspect's Reviews

I haven't seen Come and See.

I remember you also talked about Lore once. I like to see that.