24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

When I nominate something for the General HOF, I look for something I consider a masterpiece.
To me that's it. I can imagine people liking Crash, but I genuinely find it hard to imagine someone thinking it's brilliant.

That said, if someone is passionate about Crash I will certainly give it a second chance to win me over.

To me that's it. I can imagine people liking Crash, but I genuinely find it hard to imagine someone thinking it's brilliant.

That said, if someone is passionate about Crash I will certainly give it a second chance to win me over.
Believe me, the last HOF I was in, the 23rd, there were a few films I had to force myself through.

Believe me, the last HOF I was in, the 23rd, there were a few films I had to force myself through.
Same for me in all the many HoFs I've been in. That's because people have vastly different taste. I learned one just can't please everyone with one's nom.

A little teaser to a couple noms:

Best Picture Oscar winner
Cannes Award Winner
A foreign 1930s film
A foreign language Oscar winner

My film isn't in the clue but it's 3+ hours long a winner of best cinematography(as well as three other Oscars) and...

When I nominate something for the General HOF, I look for something I consider a masterpiece. That's exactly what I nominated for this HOF and the last one.

made by a filmmaker who perhaps the forum isn't used to...although this isn't a minor auteur. You could even call it a "foreign" film.

made by a filmmaker who perhaps the forum isn't used to...although this isn't a minor auteur. You could even call it a "foreign" film.
I think he became a more well-known director when 12 Years a Slave came out. I think the topic was more of one that people wasn't used to.

And he directed Widows.

So true. I don't think there's one universally loved film?
Every time I watch a film I love, I have to pop into the IMDb and look up reviews from people who gave it a 1/10 and marvel at people who say things like:

"She's not pretty enough to be a prostitute" (Jeanne Dielman)

"Humdrum recycled version of romance novel garbage" (Brief Encounter)

"The use of colour is probably the only good thing about this slow and boring, overlong, dated film." (Vertigo)

My film isn't in the clue but it's 3+ hours long a winner of best cinematography(as well as three other Oscars) and...
I think he became a more well-known director when 12 Years a Slave came out. I think the topic was more of one that people wasn't used to. And he directed Widows.
Am I missing some clue here? I took a guess at what movies Siddon might be meaning by his post and I didn't see any by Steve McQueen that matches his description. Maybe I overlooked the obvious?

The trick is not minding
Am I missing some clue here? I took a guess at what movies Siddon might be meaning by his post and I didn't see any by Steve McQueen that matches his description. Maybe I overlooked the obvious?
They’re talking about different films.

Every time I watch a film I love, I have to pop into the IMDb and look up reviews from people who gave it a 1/10 and marvel at people who say things like:

"She's not pretty enough to be a prostitute" (Jeanne Dielman)

"Humdrum recycled version of romance novel garbage" (Brief Encounter)

"The use of colour is probably the only good thing about this slow and boring, overlong, dated film." (Vertigo)
I like doing that too. It can be very revealing when a person reads both the 1s & 10s reviews for any given film at IMDB. Sometimes those crack me up, especially the 1s

I think he became a more well-known director when 12 Years a Slave came out. I think the topic was more of one that people wasn't used to.

And he directed Widows.
I liked Widows quite a bit

OK so back to Siddon's post. I won't say what films I think you might have nominated, but if it's any of the three I'm thinking of, good choice! And one of those I just watched a few weeks ago and was blown away by it. I had thought about nominating it too. So I might even be rooting for it.

No, he made a comment about how Steve McQueen, director of Hunger, wasn't well known and it could have been considered a foreign film. Maybe because it was Irish?

I liked Widows quite a bit
I haven't seen it. I have seen Hunger, Shame and 12 Years A Slave, which I enjoyed all 3 films. I do like films about the Irish Republican Army as much as World War 2 films. That's one of the reasons I picked it for the 23rd.

Hunger was Steve McQueen's first full length film.

I like doing that too. It can be very revealing when a person reads both the 1s & 10s reviews for any given film at IMDB. Sometimes those crack me up, especially the 1s
There was a 1/10 review of The Invitation where the complaint was that "You wouldn't ever have a gay couple AND an Asian person at the same party. Just another example of Hollywood PC culture!!".

This was when IMDb still had forums and he took this complaint there as well. When a ton of people were like "Um, I've been at parties with gay couples and a mix of races/ethnicities, it's not that uncommon in cities" he accused everyone of lying to support the Hollywood liberal agenda. LOL.

Different films...typically when I do a nom I pick a different filmmaker my original pick was a Powell/Pressburger film(that you loved) but I don't know the sensitivity level of certain people and having characters in black face is problematic for some people. So I switched to a different filmmaker basically for a film I wish to watch and review again.