24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

The trick is not minding
A little teaser to a couple noms:

Best Picture Oscar winner
Cannes Award Winner
A foreign 1930s film
A foreign language Oscar winner
I love Cannes Awards winners, something I have not dug into deep enough yet.
What’s the decade breakdown so far if I may ask?

Crickets nom gives us 17. Assuming Cosmic still sends one, that would tie the record for most noms on a Hall of Fame (that's also if no dropouts)
Maybe some more of the Corries will join up once they see how fun HoFs are, and did I mention easy? HoFs are very easy to do, with plenty of time to watch the noms. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some more members to join I'd like to see this HoF break the previous record for total members!

The trick is not minding
My nomination doesn’t appear in any lists on this site, as far as I can see. I’ve seen it once, a year ago, I think? And I enjoyed it. Interesting what others will think of it.

Hey. I like Crash. Not love, mind you, but I enjoy it. Though I wonder how a rewatch after 14 years will hold up. 🤔
Crash is a C/C- film with some good performances, a handful of genuinely interesting sequences (namely Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton), and an eight-grade-level message about racism/racial tolerance (OMG! Did you know that Hispanic people can have racial biases?!?! Did you know that sometimes people behave in ways that align with stereotypes?!). It is an okay film and the fact that it won Best Picture over Brokeback Mountain is borderline criminal.

It's also not even close to being the best movie called Crash, but that's another conversation.

I am pretty sure I agree Takoma. Haven't seen it since it came out though and I kind of want to check it out again. I remember next to nothing about it.

Also, it's fine if you like (or love) Crash. Many of my favorite movies don't even break the 6/10 barrier on IMDb.

I just have to razz it when the Best Picture Oscar is mentioned because it was such an upset at the time. (I think there was a thousand-post thread about it on Rotten Tomatoes).

I was going to nominate Cappernaum but I wasn't sure if everyone had access to it

I like the one I went with more but I fear more people have seen it.

I was going to nominate Cappernaum but I wasn't sure if everyone had access to it

I like the one I went with more but I fear more people have seen it.
That looks good. Available for rental streaming

The trick is not minding
Crash is a C/C- film with some good performances, a handful of genuinely interesting sequences (namely Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton), and an eight-grade-level message about racism/racial tolerance (OMG! Did you know that Hispanic people can have racial biases?!?! Did you know that sometimes people behave in ways that align with stereotypes?!). It is an okay film and the fact that it won Best Picture over Brokeback Mountain is borderline criminal.

It's also not even close to being the best movie called Crash, but that's another conversation.
Right, It wasn’t the greatest film or anything, as I found it predictable and laden with stereotypes as well, and definitely didn’t deserve to win over Brokeback, but that’s beside the point.
I feel like that last tidbit tends to overshadow it’s worth, such as it is, and people think simply because it robbed Brokeback of its win, it somehow gets picked apart, somewhat unjustly, rather then focusing on its own merits, of which it did deliver on, especially with Dillon, Phillipe, and Tandy Newton.

The trick is not minding
Also, it's fine if you like (or love) Crash. Many of my favorite movies don't even break the 6/10 barrier on IMDb.

I just have to razz it when the Best Picture Oscar is mentioned because it was such an upset at the time. (I think there was a thousand-post thread about it on Rotten Tomatoes).
Right. To clarify, it had no business winning over Brokeback. Brokeback moved me. That last line, “Jack, I swear...”. As he gazes at Jacks shirt crushes me every...friggin....time.....

When I nominate something for the General HOF, I look for something I consider a masterpiece. That's exactly what I nominated for this HOF and the last one. Both are masterpieces in my eyes. I know, eventually, I will be comfortable nominating something that isn't a masterpiece but just a film I enjoy watching. I have one of those already in my backpocket. I just need to learn that not everyone sees things as I do.

Crash isn't a bad film and I know a lot of people who enjoyed it more than me. If someone nominated it, I'm ok with rewatching it.

I loved Brokeback Mountain.

I feel like that last tidbit tends to overshadow it’s worth, such as it is, and people think simply because it robbed Brokeback of its win, it somehow gets picked apart, somewhat unjustly, rather then focusing on its own merits, of which it did deliver on, especially with Dillon, Phillipe, and Tandy Newton.
Crash winning Best Picture over Brokeback Mountain starkly calls into relief the difference in the complexities of the two films. Despite tackling a slew of social issues, Crash is not particularly bold, in my opinion, and it's main message seems to be, "Whoa, guys, this stuff is complicated!". I actually think that despite what appears to be an intended push for racial tolerance, it actually invites complacency by urging personal decency but acting as if things are just way too complex. It's attitude toward systemic racism is very "isn't that a shame?" and it offers very little direction forward.

The Dillon/Newton scene is powerful, but ultimately it comes down to an individual realizing that using his state-backed power to sexually abuse and humiliate someone is wrong. And the end of his arc involves getting a weary Black government agent on his side. I was shocked when I finally watched the film (about two months after it won the Oscar) at how basic it all was. Also, the most reproduced image from the film is of its main white male character being heroic while a tearful woman clings to him.

LOL. I'm remembering all over again why I was so annoyed when I finally watched it.