A Journey Through the History of Cinema.

→ in
Tools    

Even farther back - Earliest surviving film and sound recording 1888

Roundhay Garden Scene (1888) - World's Oldest Surviving Film - Louis Aime Augustin Le Prince

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
This is a really good list! I'm a big fan of Regeneration.

Just because I have a penchant for gangster movies, The Black Hand: True Story of a Recent Occurrence in the Italian Quarter of New York (1906) is on youtube for free, and is only ten minutes.

With the inflation calculator, with those prices in 1906, lamp per pound would cost $3.29/lb today.

https://westegg.com/inflation/

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Wow, great thread! I'll be following along. I'm doing something similar this year, but I'm alternating between decades, I don't know If I have the character to watch so many of these films in a row. So all the more power to you! Can't wait to read more.

Don't obligate yourself to constantly keep watching films from the same time period. I don't think that's a great way to explore cinema. In my opinion, it's better to alternate. Make a list of 200 or 300 important/promising films that you want to watch from every period and that way you'll be able to watch films according to your mood, which is much more pleasant. It will make you enjoy everything a lot more!

It's good to force yourself at times to start watching something from a time period that you're less familiar with, though. So if you have a strong enough character to do it in the way you describe here, I'll definitely follow your thread.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice
I do agree with you and think that your idea might indeed be a better idea for most people, but I know that if I'd do that I'd still have a really hard time picking which movie I'm going to watch next and that would probably make me less motivated to continue. Forcing myself to watch a certain movie also doesn't sound like it'll help speed up the process though and like you said it might also make it less enjoyable which is of course not what I want. I think that I'm not going to stick exactly with the order of the list, but if at a certain point I don't know what to watch next I'll just go with the next one that's up.

This looks like a great project and I would love to read any of the great articles you stumble upon but agree with Cobpyth's advice for you.Anyway, go for it.
If I find some I'll share them!
Thank you

Wow, great thread! I'll be following along. I'm doing something similar this year, but I'm alternating between decades, I don't know If I have the character to watch so many of these films in a row. So all the more power to you! Can't wait to read more.
Thanks a lot
I'll definitely follow your thread to see what you thought of some of the films that might end up on my list too.

Here is one you forgot that is older than the first you posted
Even farther back - Earliest surviving film and sound recording 1888

Roundhay Garden Scene (1888) - World's Oldest Surviving Film - Louis Aime Augustin Le Prince

I didn't forget about those! I just didn't pick them for my list I posted this about Roundhay Garden Scene earlier:

Yeah. I Think I'd consider Roundhay Garden Scene the first movie ever made. I don't think I'll watch Roundhay Garden Scene though as it's only 2 seconds, so there won't be a lot to say about it.

I decided that I'm going to watch around 30 films per decade, with the first decade being the pre-1920's and the last decade being the 00's. I'll end up with around 300 movies in total that way which seems enough to have seen a good amount of films (even though there will still be A LOT of movies left ) but not that much that it feels like an unreachable goal. I also added 2 more films to my pre-1920's watchlist. Amor Pedestre and True Heart Susie , both from minio's list of favorites. I'm going to try to post my first reviews tomorrrow and as I start reviewing I'll also start working on the watchlist for the next decade.